Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

House furnace VS dash heat

I have an 86 Sportscoach Pathfinder 28' on a P30 chassis, Ive already removed the engine A/C and I run the genset and roof A/C when Im driving. My question is, My dash controls are just sitting in my dash, not mounted and im not sure if they work, all my vacuum lines on motor are a mess as well as vacuum lines to the dash controls. My question is, how practical would it be to use the house furnace to heat the RV when traveling in cooler weather (would be only early spring or late fall) I am an occasional camper, so it is only used maybe 8-10 times a year. This would allow me to clean up the vacuum line mess as I would only need vacuum for my distributor and I could clean up my dash somewhat.

This is just an idea, or should I replace all lines, repair the dash controls and keep the dash unit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmp01550 View Post
I have an 86 Sportscoach Pathfinder 28' on a P30 chassis, Ive already removed the engine A/C and I run the genset and roof A/C when Im driving. My question is, My dash controls are just sitting in my dash, not mounted and im not sure if they work, all my vacuum lines on motor are a mess as well as vacuum lines to the dash controls. My question is, how practical would it be to use the house furnace to heat the RV when traveling in cooler weather (would be only early spring or late fall) I am an occasional camper, so it is only used maybe 8-10 times a year. This would allow me to clean up the vacuum line mess as I would only need vacuum for my distributor and I could clean up my dash somewhat.

This is just an idea, or should I replace all lines, repair the dash controls and keep the dash unit.
I think by default no vacuum = defroster mode. If that's OK, you may also want to set the door for recirculating heat (and AC) so it's permanently pulling air from the inside of the coach. My dash AC/heater is perfectly functional, but I chose to make that mod anyway. Heating cold outside air and cooling air coming from the outside in warm weather makes no sense to me....

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Im going to look into it farther, I pulled the carb to do a few repairs, so when I go to put it back on I will do a good overlook of the heating system. thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Repairing all the lines may not be needed, By default if you do not hook up the small vacuum lines only the Defrost will work, that is the most important port anyway.

If you use engine heat to warm the cockpit, then you are reclaiming waste heat, the cost of the heat itself is precisely zero. You only pay for moving the air around. (Blower).

If you run the furnace you also pay for the heat, plus, it does a tripple p job of heating the cockpit That is P Pot Poor.

Tags
dash, furnace