Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
House lights dim/brighten/go out at times

My house lights are dimming/going out and then they come back on after a bit. House batteries are new and fully charged. Happens on either shore power or just on batteries. When it happens, if I press the battery state switch, it shows low and then nothing if all goes off. Any thoughts? Bad relay? BTW, I am installing a Best 4 stage charger/converter in it today, but that should not affect the issue in my mind anyway. Appreciate the help.

Mark
RetiredMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Mark,

You probably right and the new converter won't change anything.
- UNless One of the connections you change is the bad one.

Your symptoms exactly match a bad connection. It is OK for a while, then it heats up and when it does, the connection gets worse until so little power is passing the it gets to cool off and get better again.

These problem connections are most often at the battery posts, but they can be anywhere. Next time the lights start to dim, jump into the electric cabinet and touch every connection you can see. If any are hot, clean that one first.

Matt
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

When I first bought my 1990 I had a similar problem it wound up being bad connections on the auto-reseting breakers under the hood that were mounted on the fire wall. Cleaned the connections it's been fine since.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

i had the same issue turned out vto be a broken neutral lug in power box got it fixed now all ok
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You need to check the connections in your converter/ fuse panel. If it's happening on shore power and battery alone, it sounds like the issue is a bad or loose connection near the fuse panel. There is no neutral lug on a 12 v system. I'd still do as has been suggested and feel for any warm cables or see if wiggling cables can create the flicker.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #6

If you're changing a 1985 charger converter to a solid state step charge, That will probably fix it. I agree with everyone that it's a bad connection. My old battery boiler was a nightmare when I took it apart, now I have a quiet 3 step beauty.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
update

All connections have been polished and tightened. A bit strange as when I tested things by loading the system a bit, the lights did their dim out/off/back on, etc, and then back on bright and have stayed that way. Am heading out later this morning for several days of dry camping while fishing so will get a good feel as to whether things are solved. Thanks for the replies, will do another update once back.
RetiredMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights