Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An RV is like a woman. Her skin, hair, face, teeth, feet, and accessories can make her appear as a Bag Lady or Cindy Crawford. Which would you prefer to be seated next to on a beach?
Many of us have also seen RVs being held together and repaired with duct tape, rope, plywood and tarps and being less than ten years old.
It's a matter of pride and money. Sadly some have the money but not any pride.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #16

I've parked next to some awfully nice people who happened to have some not so "clean and shiny" type rigs!
NotSoBadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How about some Pic" for us to enjoy seeing. Show um off!!!!
Thanks, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #18

Only got turned away once at one private RV lot many years ago. But it was almost midnight and I think we made the manager mad when we woke him. It's sign said 24 hour, but I guess 24 hours in Illinois means something different than it does in Texas. He used the excuse our coach was 11 years old at the time and their shut off was 10.

So I turned around and found another place much nicer with a beach to the lake north of Chicago for about $10 LESS. We were so well received and enjoyed our view and the RV park so much we tipped the guy who registered us in when we left.
It was still 30 miles into Lake Forest every day to visit relatives there but I adapted to the commute in the town quickly.

My 89 Fleetwood Limited Editions was a high end Coach when we bought it in 93 and when polished up she still looks new on the out side. I re powered it in 2001 to a modern diesel and transmission. We slowed down on our trips some after that, but after I upgrade to a new World Transmission I'll be remodeling the interior and modernizing the electronics and then the wife and I will hit the road a lot more.
She retired from teaching last year and is now in full retirement mode.
Poor thing had a rough time adjusting to not working than I did.
Me, it hit my retired mode in about 30 minutes after I walked out of my office door for the last time.
We both have been blessed and were able to hang it up at 58 and I haven't missed the daily grind one minute in 5 .5 years. Thank you LORD!

Most places will turn away the older ratted out Coaches if they were the cheaper entry models to begin with. So nicer Models are better received.

Ours has been paid for for so many years I cannot fathom making payments again when we can go so much more with the money we save.

If your going to buy an older Coach get the most you can afford and enjoy it for years. Take care of it and keep up your maintenance or it will eat you alive. It helps if your a tinkerer and enjoy the maintenance because mechanics don't come cheap. Even bad ones are expensive.

Owning a motor coach is like owning a boat or airplane. ( Owned one of each at one time or another.)
It's just a hole to throw you money into.
May as well get some use out if your hard earned cash, because by nature we all have an expensive hobby to throw our cash at. Just don't think a Motor Coach will be cheap. Done right you can keep it down. Done wrong it will make you go broke and bald.

And if your well kept Vintage Coach gets turned away because of the date stamp, consider this.

Do you really don't want a bunch if Snobs like that getting your hard earned money? Unless your a SNOB yourself, those folks are seldom what I can FUN, DOWN HOME PEOPLE.

Pull out the fiddle and play them a tune around the fire pit. Let your hair down and enjoy your life because life is too short not to enjoy it.
Ya'll would love camping with us. Hint: We love camping at Loretta Lynns campground. BIG GRIN!

Sorry for the long post, but I've been fighting the flu and the isolation has given me way too much free time!!!!!

I even typed this one my phone I'm so bored,
Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Only got turned away once at one private RV lot many years ago. But it was almost midnight and I think we made the manager mad when we woke him. It's sign said 24 hour, but I guess 24 hours in Illinois means something different than it does in Texas. He used the excuse our coach was 11 years old at the time and their shut off was 10.

So I turned around and found another place much nicer with a beach to the lake north of Chicago for about $10 LESS. We were so well received and enjoyed our view and the RV park so much we tipped the guy who registered us in when we left.
It was still 30 miles into Lake Forest every day to visit relatives there but I adapted to the commute in the town quickly.

My 89 Fleetwood Limited Editions was a high end Coach when we bought it in 93 and when polished up she still looks new on the out side. I re powered it in 2001 to a modern diesel and transmission. We slowed down on our trips some after that, but after I upgrade to a new World Transmission I'll be remodeling the interior and modernizing the electronics and then the wife and I will hit the road a lot more.
She retired from teaching last year and is now in full retirement mode.
Poor thing had a rough time adjusting to not working than I did.
Me, it hit my retired mode in about 30 minutes after I walked out of my office door for the last time.
We both have been blessed and were able to hang it up at 58 and I haven't missed the daily grind one minute in 5 .5 years. Thank you LORD!

Most places will turn away the older ratted out Coaches if they were the cheaper entry models to begin with. So nicer Models are better received.

Ours has been paid for for so many years I cannot fathom making payments again when we can go so much more with the money we save.

If your going to buy an older Coach get the most you can afford and enjoy it for years. Take care of it and keep up your maintenance or it will eat you alive. It helps if your a tinkerer and enjoy the maintenance because mechanics don't come cheap. Even bad ones are expensive.

Owning a motor coach is like owning a boat or airplane. ( Owned one of each at one time or another.)
It's just a hole to throw you money into.
May as well get some use out if your hard earned cash, because by nature we all have an expensive hobby to throw our cash at. Just don't think a Motor Coach will be cheap. Done right you can keep it down. Done wrong it will make you go broke and bald.

And if your well kept Vintage Coach gets turned away because of the date stamp, consider this.

Do you really don't want a bunch if Snobs like that getting your hard earned money? Unless your a SNOB yourself, those folks are seldom what I can FUN, DOWN HOME PEOPLE.

Pull out the fiddle and play them a tune around the fire pit. Let your hair down and enjoy your life because life is too short not to enjoy it.
Ya'll would love camping with us. Hint: We love camping at Loretta Lynns campground. BIG GRIN!

Sorry for the long post, but I've been fighting the flu and the isolation has given me way too much free time!!!!!

I even typed this one my phone I'm so bored,
if you like staying at Loretta I guess bubba stop by to visit we stop every time we go by and the first time we had a space on the right side had right front wheel a foot in the air of course they can't have a ten year limit with Loretta old bus sitting there. Get well soon
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #20

Well, yesterday we became "vintage" motorhome owners! Bought a 1975 Apollo 26BD, Dodge M500 440-3, with 93000 miles. The interior is bone stock in showroom condition, as good as the day it came from the factory, with one minor exception, the tree that is sat under broke the lid to the bathroom vent, and water rotted the floor in part of the bathroom. It even came with a dozen 8 track tapes, the wife is looking for a disco ball. The outside is in very good shape for the year, never been hit, has a few spider web cracks on the fiberglass, I think a good cleaning will make it look nice, later maybe a paint job. All the glass is flat and in good shape. I still have to rebuild a carburetor for it, and go install it, so I can drive it 100 miles to it's new home. Then all the fun starts, I will go through it, from end to end, and make it better than new, and I see a 6bt and Alison jumping under the floor. At a GVWR of 14K, it should deliver a nice 15-20 MPG @ 65 MPH. So wish me luck, and send me advice. Thanks
GUSRENTIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Another good source to answer your question may be The Tin Can Tourists site. But I agree that if it is well maintained you should have no problems.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
The 10 year rule is sort of like the one where they check ID for buying alcohol. They are trying to be careful not to show discrimination so some places will ask for ID from anyone they consider less than ??? (pick an age well above the legal age)

So they cannot say we will only let in MH that we consider to look good. Generally a MH less than 10 years old will look nice even if it is not well maintained.

IMO a well maintained older coach is like a classic car. I love to park next to them and discuss the effort they have taken to keep a classic on the road and looking like new.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
My basic feeling is that if the park won't accept some one because of the age of their unit then you are better off staying somewhere else.
I prefer older units and if a park is too "special" for them then I don't and wouldn't want to be there.
If you are somehow looked upon better because you have a newer RV what does that say about those parks. Personally I am able to purchase any RV I want but I prefer "old school" and the company of these like minded people.
Lastly, what is wrong with Ma & Pa Kettle. These people usually have the best stories and the most interesting lives to share with others. More interesting than those who have, and buy and show off to validate themselves.
Lots of videos on Google about Ma and Pa Kettle for those who don't know who they are.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I find this thread very informative. I am new to this and don't yet have our rig. I have been looking at used because I want it paid for and not sure I like some of the new rigs.

Been looking from 2000 to 2008. So many different floor plans and colors and patterns. I have been close a few times but it wasn't quite the one and so didn't buy. Whichever we decide on it will be decent and well maintained as that is how we like things.

I hope not to find any of the CG's that turn 10 yrs or older away, but will move on if it happens. I also like Mom and Pop type people so would enjoy that.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and we will be joining you all soon. Keep safe and happy!

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage