Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Lots of rot in the wood structure causing the screws to come loose causing the trim on the seams to pop up.
Here are some pics after 30 mins of scraping at 5:00 this AM.

Dirt has got into the cracks along with water. The old material on the outside still sticking on quite well (ie. hard to get off).

So now it's a trench! Fill trench with dicor then cover with Eternabond?

The whole roof (seams) have to be done. Going to try my air chisel after Denise wakes up...lol

If I'm not back this afternoon ... I forgot to wear a helmet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2443.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	42542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2442.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	42543  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #16

You only need to Dicor OR Ebond, not both.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You only need to Dicor OR Ebond, not both.
I used an air chisel today and that worked great! 70' to fix!

I was thinking of running a bead on the joint with Dicor and then cover the area with 4" of Ebond. Ebond is coming the mail because it costs twice as much here. But do have some Dicor. Good or bad idea?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
I started to scrape it and it's all coming off so I going to use Eternabond . A roll of it is $160 up here though. I will try to find another supplier.
Hi Gus!

Unfortunately, you are probably stuck with using Eternabond if you want a permanent fix.

A couple years ago, I paid an RV service facility (Hughes, Orangeville) to seal my roof. Two months later, on our rainy Fall trip, water was pouring in all over the place from the roof!! Upon inspecting the roof, within a couple months, ALL of the sealant they used had cracked wide open!! I asked them what they used: Dicor!!

Since I have a fibreglass (membrane) roof I got rid of the Dicor and replaced it with polyurethane sealant.

You are probably wise enduring one-time-pain, choosing Eternabond!

Quote:
What could I find underneath that would require fixing?
Ignorance is Bliss!! Unless you can see the sky from the interior of your rig: Don't ask!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Hi Gus!

Unfortunately, you are probably stuck with using Eternabond if you want a permanent fix.

A couple years ago, I paid an RV service facility (Hughes, Orangeville) to seal my roof. Two months later, on our rainy Fall trip, water was pouring in all over the place from the roof!! Upon inspecting the roof, within a couple months, ALL of the sealant they used had cracked wide open!! I asked them what they used: Dicor!!
OTH, ours was originally sealed with Dicor, it's still in good shape although I have patched a few spots over the 11 years we've owned it.
The shop may have told you they used Dicor but they might not have actually used it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #20

I have ordered the Ebond off eBay and it will not be here till the end of the month.
I thought I would just put a small bead of Dicor on the exposed joint just to tie it over until
the Ebond shows up. Bad idea? What else can I do? It's going rain before I get the Ebond.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Gus, I agree that you need to fill in the valley of the seams before the EBond. So when you put on the EBond there will not be a dip remaining that will hold water. Seems like self-leveling Dicor would work for that. Or something that you could tool to make level. And maybe that will keep it from leaking while you are waiting for the EBond, Or maybe you can cover the roof until?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Hi Gus!
I used to do a lot of auto/house painting back in the day. Preparation is the key. Nothing sticks to grease, dirt. You gotta get clean before you paint.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #23

Quote:
I used to do a lot of auto/house painting back in the day. Preparation is the key. Nothing sticks to grease, dirt. You gotta get clean before you paint.
I agree with what you are saying. I used to do auto painting back in the early 60s!

But the problem had nothing to do with adhesion; it had to do with Dicor (501 LS?) sealant cracking at the joint, i.e. they sealed all around the large bathroom skylight; and the area over where the skylight joined the roof was cracked wide open all the way around the skylight.

I have used Dicor 501 sealant in the past, and have been rather unimpressed by it's performance; and I've heard other RVers carping about the stuff, which was supposed to be self-leveling but didn't. Maybe they got a bad batch.

With my rig, I ended up scraping all the junk off, cleaning with with lacquer thinner, and then applying polyurethane sealant, which from past experience should provide a permanent fix.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #24

The issue with cracking Dicor is that it was probably applied to a spot that moved. I.E. a skylight that wasn't secured properly.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #25

When I did mine, I dug out all of the loose sealant and applied self leveling dicor so that it overlapped the area but about 1/4" - I let that cure off and then applied 4" Eternabond, having cleaned the area with acetone. I purchased 2 off 50' rolls to do both side and end seams and enough left over for skylights.

I used a wallpaper roller to really squeegee the Eternabond down, especially at the edges.

About a week later, I washed off the entire roof with TCP and let dry and then applied 3 coats of Henry's elastomeric - the most expensive one they do (about $160 for 5 gallons).

It shouldn't need attention for 2-3 years at which point I will just wash and reapply the elastomeric.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
When I did mine, I dug out all of the loose sealant and applied self leveling dicor so that it overlapped the area but about 1/4" - I let that cure off and then applied 4" Eternabond, having cleaned the area with acetone. I purchased 2 off 50' rolls to do both side and end seams and enough left over for skylights.
Just as a final note on this thread...

I did just as you did with yours.

1. Got all the old multi layers of cracked sealant off the roof
2. Cleaned up the the areas to reseal with Mineral Spirits or Laquer thinner
3. Put on self levelling Dicor in the crevus of the joint between panels
4. Put on 4" Ebond over the Dicor and the entire joint

We had to grind and chip to get the old crap off. Next time use a heat gun!!

I cost me $1600 to get someone to do the grunt work. This is NOT a FUN job by any stretch. BUT...if you do get someone to do it make sure you can witness the job during each stage. It's easy for the guy to skip the cleaning step. Most of the bad patches never stuck on because the roof was dirty. I am not aware of any product on the planet that sticks to dirt.

If your thinking of buying a older RV ... get up on the roof! If it's cracked then demand they fix or drop the price by $2k at least.

Hopefully we get her on the road next spring.

Cheers!
Brian

Tags
roof