Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Theses older 454s tend to run a little warmer than what seems "normal" anyway. As has been mentioned above, check the tranny fluid/engine oil and see if there's indication of it being "cooked". It will be obvious because it won't look or smell normal. Odds are, you'll be ok, but as you've said, need to do some serious maintaining before the next outing. Good luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Theses older 454s tend to run a little warmer than what seems "normal" anyway. As has been mentioned above, check the tranny fluid/engine oil and see if there's indication of it being "cooked". It will be obvious because it won't look or smell normal. Odds are, you'll be ok, but as you've said, need to do some serious maintaining before the next outing. Good luck!
Agreed.
I think the trailer "helped" with the heat. My 454 ran at about 210 with a small toad, but I had to pull over on long grades to rev it at about 2000 until it came back in range. Thought I cooked it couple of times, but it was a tough bird.
Best wishes!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #17

Drove my '93 Itasca with a 454 from Durango to San Diego. Needle hit the red zone going over the hills on I-8 coming up from the Imperial Valley. Had the transmission flushed, new filter, radiator rodded, new water pump, hoses and clamps and problem was so cured. Also changed the oil, filter and plugs. Just drove it back to Durango over the weekend and ran cool up i-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, a 7000' elevation gain with 6% grades and ran the AC the whole time.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #18

Thanks guys. Did little looking yesterday. No cross contamination, ( oil and water). No engine noises. No smoking. I think I'll be ok. Gonna dig in deep this weekend and start the task of freshening up the cooling system. Also gonna service tranny and add temp gauge.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

You might consider an external transmission cooler. if your coolant load is iffy, dumping the tranny heat into the radiator doesn't help.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
You might consider an external transmission cooler. if your coolant load is iffy, dumping the tranny heat into the radiator doesn't help.

X2. You might also consider an electric fan on the tranny cooler. I didn't have enough room on the RV for a fan, but I have one on my truck's tranny cooler. It definetly makes a difference.

Not sure how your dash is set up, but here's how I set up my tranny temp and engine temp gauges.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #21

I have an external trans cooler now. However, I think I'll go ahead and replace it while I do the coolant system freshen up. Think I should replace the tranny lines while I'm in there? Also, I was planning on fabricating some different mounting brackets for the tranny cooler to provide an air gap between the transmission cooler and tha radiator. Maybe an inch of air gap as opposed to flush against the radiator. Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
I have an external trans cooler now. However, I think I'll go ahead and replace it while I do the coolant system freshen up. Think I should replace the tranny lines while I'm in there? Also, I was planning on fabricating some different mounting brackets for the tranny cooler to provide an air gap between the transmission cooler and tha radiator. Maybe an inch of air gap as opposed to flush against the radiator. Thoughts?
Is it a trans cooler or an oil cooler like mine has? I had to add an additional trans cooler to mine.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post

Is it a trans cooler or an oil cooler like mine has? I had to add an additional trans cooler to mine.
U know I'm ashamed to admit I don't know. Didn't look that close.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #24

If your MH is like most P30 chassis, it important that the rubber closing panels above the radiator are in place...

See note 4 and 5 taken from the P30 GM chassis manual...

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #25

Ok. So the smaller radiator in front of the real radiator is actually the AC condenser. The tranny cooler and oil cooler is in the big radiator. Changed my plans to add trans cooler.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
If your MH is like most P30 chassis, it important that the rubber closing panels above the radiator are in place...

See note 4 and 5 taken from the P30 GM chassis manual...
Thanks key air. Help me avoid a big mistake.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
Ok. So the smaller radiator in front of the real radiator is actually the AC condenser. The tranny cooler and oil cooler is in the big radiator. Changed my plans to add trans cooler.
I would never rely totally on an inrad tranny cooler, especially if you tow something even remotely heavy. YMMV.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #28

No I don't think your oil cooler is in the radiator, just the trans.
I still have the in-tank cooler in the radiator for the trans. I added a stacked plate cooler before the radiator to cool the trans fluid before it goes into the radiator cooler. That way the trans fluid is brought to normal operating temp. If the radiator that your talking about covers the whole front of the main radiator then yes that is the A/C condenser. The oil cooler is another stack plate cooler that is about 12"x12" this one sets about 5-6" in front of the A/C coil as does my added trans cooler which is also a stacked plate cooler. Both the stack plate coolers I have look like this.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-52578
And YES the rubber dam above the radiator is very important. I had to replace mine because it was dry rotted.