Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

How much are you willing to spend?

I was reading another thread about some folks V10 blowing a rod and destroying their engine. Their MH is 13 years old. The way it looks it's going to cost around $10K
With us that have MH's that are 20 years and older, how much would you be willing to spend if your engine self destructed. Would you walk away? would you spend $5000 to fix it, $10000 to fix it? Most of our units are only worth $4K -$8K I have wondered what I would do in this situation, what about you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
I was reading another thread about some folks V10 blowing a rod and destroying their engine. Their MH is 13 years old. The way it looks it's going to cost around $10K
With us that have MH's that are 20 years and older, how much would you be willing to spend if your engine self destructed. Would you walk away? would you spend $5000 to fix it, $10000 to fix it? Most of our units are only worth $4K -$8K I have wondered what I would do in this situation, what about you?
I gave my old Class C to a homeless family. They drug it to their parent's house and lived in it. That is what I would do... donate it to someone who needs it. Then go get another.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

I try not to think about it.... but failing that, our coach still has enough value where I would likely fix it.

If the cost to repair exceeded the resale value - I think a lot of that call might be made on wether or not I was using it enough to justify the repair vs. maybe time to update? Eg: If it let go after sitting for years unused, I would be much more likely to walk away from it vs. having a trip planned in the near future?

What did you decide?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

I have been one of those guys who buys a $3k RV and spends $10k restoring it. I don't buy something to sell it - I buy it to use it.

OK, so maybe he will spend $5k on his engine - if he went and purchased another he would probably spend a lot more than an extra $5k and would inherit another set of problems.

If the rig suits his purpose then why not?

When you buy your RV, you 'should' open a separate bank account and deposit so much into it each month - it's allowance. Then when things like this happen you are covered. Of course that's not what we actually do but the principle is the same.

What a rig is 'worth' is measured in how much use and enjoyment you get from it - not what someone else will pay you for it.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I'd probably get it fixed. I have a lot of time and effort invested in our old girl. How much? It's hard to say but it would probably be pretty close to the replacement costs.

I blew the engine in our 1997 Sidekick and because of all the work I had put in it I went ahead and had the guy install a new (used) engine. The cost was more than I would have to spend for a new toad, if I could find one like it,. But I know what I have and have become intimate with it over the years doing upgrades and such.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dick
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

I would likely fix it. I do all my work myself and I get the parts at cost but even if I didn't I would. If the coach in great shape, it would likely be worth it to me. Have to look at it this way also, the engine is new (rebuilt) and you wont have to worry about that for the next 3 years unlimited mileage (ford reman engine). You buy another used one the odds are in your favor of it being good for a long time but it can be in the back of your mind.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #7

Fix it!! I dropped about 10 into my '73. Worth every penny and reaping the rewards now.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

I would pull, rebuild and reinstall the motor myself. That makes it a lot easier to justify the repair. Besides we plan on keeping ours at least another 7 years. Besides buying something different would be far from new. I just got done fixing all the BS problems on the one we have. Why would I want to start that process again?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Considering the cost to buy another coach and go in debt for many years, I'd bite the bullet and spend the $$$ for a replacement engine.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #10

My 1978 MH has a good engine and tranny. The interior needs more work than I can do, the mouse poop smell is overwhelming and I don't think it can be cured. It needs six tires. I'm not going to put any money in it. If the MH itself was in good shape, I would rebuild the engine if need be and enjoy the unit. Anybody need a good running Dodge 440 engine and tranny ?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmankev View Post
My 1978 MH has a good engine and tranny. The interior needs more work than I can do, the mouse poop smell is overwhelming and I don't think it can be cured. It needs six tires. I'm not going to put any money in it. If the MH itself was in good shape, I would rebuild the engine if need be and enjoy the unit. Anybody need a good running Dodge 440 engine and tranny ?
Could you strip the interior and then use a ozone machine to get rid of the smell? Then you could do what you want with the inside. If the ceiling is leaking and the walls are bad then it's time to make a you tube video of it going up in flames.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think most of us would not be RV'ing if it had to make sound fiscal sense to do so, with no other considerations.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I think most of us would not be RV'ing if it had to make sound fiscal sense to do so, with no other considerations.
I agree with your thinking, however, when one lives on 800 bucks a month with no way to earn extra, I would not be able to fix most things that go wrong when on a road trip.

The MH was free to me, I was hoping to at least be able to use it to park it in a warmer climate during the winter months, but after a close inspection and evaluation, it isn't going to happen on my income.

I can do mechanical work, but the wood in the walls is rotted, even so bad the rearview mirrors won't stay bolted on securely. Entire sections of interior wiring harness chewed and missing.

Maybe a you tube vid of it going away after yanking some usable parts is the way to go. Have to wait until we get rain and the fire danger is reduced though.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #14

I'm looking to buy a home in the next month or two and if I had the room and tools to do it I would replace the engine and trans since I have a chevy 454 .I've done it on a van and can do the mh also.I would not pay for a shop to do it.Way to much money.I my opnion I would not do a v10 engine ,too expensive .At least on a $4000 rig.