Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

How rusted is too rusted?

I've been working on the steering wander and found quite a few possible culprits. Maybe steering box or all the other old parts of the steering, not quite sure. What should i replace first? Is there any thing I can't do myself with 2 jack stands? I read offroadtoolbox.com's P30 steering alignment manual which was very helpful, but I'm hoping to get seasoned motorhomin' vetran's opinion. Where should I start?
thank you guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150903_143341.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	106484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150903_144026.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	106485  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150903_143057.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	106486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150903_143122.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	106487  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I see a broken bolt in your first photo, no obvious rust issues in a vehicle that you list as 'vintage.' It would help if you list more information in your signature so we know what RV you're talking about. What is your steering wander issue? It could be tires, alignment, loose steering components, worn steering box, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the steering box is good, then I would (did on mine old MH) replace the track bar, tie rods (inner and outer) and put super steer bell cranks on, then an alignment and you will be amazed! I also put the heavy duty springs in at the same time, repacked the bearings and lube everything and it all made a world of difference, most handy people can do it with just simple tools and time. The hardest part was taking the tires off and on then finding a shop to have it an alignment done at. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

I thought the same thing, but as I understand it, P30 chassis passengerside bellcrank has 3 bolts where as the driverside has 4. I think that broken off looking one is actually a "Driver-side Bellcrank" mounted on the passenger-side. When driving, always trying to find the middle ground to stay between the lines.
My concern is to not potentially over tighten the steering box, how can I check it?
I don't trust what the Previous Owner did to this rig, i.e. he cut the rear brake lines when they seem to not be working!
New tires are going on tomorrow. It's a chevy 454, I think it's 26ft and is Class A.
Thanks for your input
Old 09-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Your front air bags are shot.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi and welcome I have a 82 chev 454 P30 Pace Arrow(some say there isn't a P30) I have had new air bags installed, Made a huge difference. I also don't see excessive rust. Go into the vendor section and find Henderson's they have the bell cranks and also a video to show how to take off and install new bell cranks.
Which MH are you referring too the green and white or the brown and white one? I C no signs of rust from those Pic's

Again Welcome,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #7

It's the same one, just photoshopped the green one for fun. As I understand it, p30 is a broad term for this type of chassis. Do I need airbags for safety? Or just comfort?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle007 View Post
It's the same one, just photoshopped the green one for fun. As I understand it, p30 is a broad term for this type of chassis. Do I need airbags for safety? Or just comfort?
I'm actually a bit curious about the airbag issue as well since it seems all of mine are dry rotted and do not hold air. Not likely to hit the road in the near future but would like to know for future reference. I know the guy who drove it part of the 30 miles to get here said he felt like he was going to flip over any minute.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Air bags aren't put on just for comfort in the case of these chassis. They help support the weight of the RV and dampen the compression of the coil springs, helping to prevent bottoming out on the stops. They also help steady the tall weight of the body from shifting as fast from side to side, thus improving steering.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #10

Right on, I'm going to replace those first and hopefully see a difference. Thanks ya!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Air bags aren't put on just for comfort in the case of these chassis. They help support the weight of the RV and dampen the compression of the coil springs, helping to prevent bottoming out on the stops. They also help steady the tall weight of the body from shifting as fast from side to side, thus improving steering.

Well said thanks BFlinn
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #12

If your air bags are bad, the front will sit lower than intended. THIS WILL AFFECT YOUR ALIGNMENT and make it difficult to keep on the road. The angles of the front suspension are designed to affect the alignment to keep the vehicle stable. If the front end sits lower, this changes that geometry, thus changes the handling and alignment.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd like to see how low or leaking air bags on a coil spring suspension changes alignment. None of the steering components relationships change if the body is a couple of inches higher or lower. Handling, yes, that could be affected, but I don't think alignment is changed.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #14

Both castor and camber change. The ball joints are not in perfect vertical alignment. Typically if you draw a line between the two ball joints, and extend that line to the ground, it lands in the center of the tire contact patch. As the suspension moves up and down, the wheel will lean just slightly. Setting the ride height is always a critical part of a proper front end alignment.

BTW: When I put my motorcycle on the back of my coach, it raises the front end about an inch, and makes it a little squirrely to drive, due to the front end alignment changing. There is still plenty of weight on the front end, but it changes the ride height.

Tags
rust