Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, Lorna and I came up with a interesting point. How safe are your homes?? I'm talking Motor homes as well as trailers, Slide in's any and all the above?? We know how some company's have shoddy work and base line ???safety??? One point made is on mine a 79 they had 3 seat belts in the back facing forward. Two more on the sofa and two more in the breakfast nook as well as the front two seats! All of mine are bolted to 2"X2" square tubing! The tubing is welded to the frame, All of them. The bigger question is that what else did they do/not do to make the home safe. If any of you know of any testing done back in say the 70's or 80's or if you found something that would have made you or anyone else safer in your model home let us know. This should be something we all would like or incorporate into the rebuild or upgrade whatever the case. I know this isn't usially on the top 10 list but I think it should be there somewhere in the top 10 at least. Any ideas or comments ..

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, Lorna and I came up with a interesting point. How safe are your homes?? I'm talking Motor homes as well as trailers, Slide in's any and all the above?? We know how some company's have shoddy work and base line ???safety??? One point made is on mine a 79 they had 3 seat belts in the back facing forward. Two more on the sofa and two more in the breakfast nook as well as the front two seats! All of mine are bolted to 2"X2" square tubing! The tubing is welded to the frame, All of them. The bigger question is that what else did they do/not do to make the home safe. If any of you know of any testing done back in say the 70's or 80's or if you found something that would have made you or anyone else safer in your model home let us know. This should be something we all would like or incorporate into the rebuild or upgrade whatever the case. I know this isn't usially on the top 10 list but I think it should be there somewhere in the top 10 at least. Any ideas or comments ..

Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #3

Well Dan,
LOL-I hope no one from State Farm is reading this!!!!!.No seat belts other than the drivers seat and passenger seat.None at the kitchen table or bunkbeds.The seat belts are the lap kind that are there.But that's is ok because I am alone unless someone comes up with a highway drive by wire where I can get to where I am going and not have to drive it.HeHe.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Hi all, Lorna and I came up with a interesting point. How safe are your homes?? I'm talking Motor homes as well as trailers, Slide in's any and all the above?? We know how some company's have shoddy work and base line ???safety??? One point made is on mine a 79 they had 3 seat belts in the back facing forward. Two more on the sofa and two more in the breakfast nook as well as the front two seats! All of mine are bolted to 2"X2" square tubing! The tubing is welded to the frame, All of them. The bigger question is that what else did they do/not do to make the home safe. If any of you know of any testing done back in say the 70's or 80's or if you found something that would have made you or anyone else safer in your model home let us know. This should be something we all would like or incorporate into the rebuild or upgrade whatever the case. I know this isn't usially on the top 10 list but I think it should be there somewhere in the top 10 at least. Any ideas or comments .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Winnebago there is the infamous drop test. For some years they have used a crane to suspend their coaches upside down and then drop them on their roofs to verify that they won't pancake. Not sure how long they have been doing this but it does seem like it has been a while.

Also they stopped using wood as a structural element. Crash tests in the 1920's showed how badly vehicles with wooden body frames fell to pieces from the impact of a crash. All you had was a pile of splinters afterwards.

Steel or aluminum subframes welded together like an airplane. Wood sleepers being used for screwing in light to medium fixures and steel plates for the heavier stuff.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #5

I am pretty sure from what I am finding while I resto my 1981 Winnebago MH that Winnebago didn't test my HM on a drop test.8,000lbs against the framing I am finding wouldn't stand a chance.And how do I know this with such certainty,well building tube frame drag cars that are sonic checked for 9.90 et racing for over 20yrs.I know how much force goes into a rollover with a 2340lb car and what we design into them to prevent the frame from coming apart.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #6

I know for a fact that the only metal added to my MH is a 2x2 steel frame behind the driver's compartment that is a big square. it's so far the only part of metal frame I have seen in the hole MH other then the factory dodge cab and chassis. If I had it my way and had the time I would have done a whole 2x2 frame off the the front "hoop" and it would have had wood joists attached to it. would have been heavier but much safer.

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya know, Mine has wood in the walls, Ceiling and Floor as well, But there are 5 sets of roll bars [for lack of better term] that goes around the floors and walls and ceiling. That what I know of I didn't see any other type Of roll cage. I know there is 2X2 in the nose as well as the walls and back too But they went to 1X1's in the nose area and for the back as well, They are welded to the 2X2's The storage areas have 2X2 around where the door is and then wood to frame the door with aluminum door frame's. The one thing I didn't see was some kind of connection for those roll bars that would keep the bars from going there own way in a rollover?? I wouldn't even think that the wood would survive! I often wondered if or more to the point would we be able to survive a direct hit head on?? You know what I mean, Your on a back road and tired and you pop over a hill doing 45-55 MPH. Maybe the speed limit is 65 mph so You are taking your time and Like I said, You pop over that hill and!!! A class C, Should be stronger than a ClassA,because of the steel and frame but on a classA.. They could go above the frame and climb right into the cab and ask for a take out order??! A slide in, Will the tie-downs hold if they are enough G-forces to rip that tie down off and come forward toward you and ??? Trailers and fifth wheels, Can they take the hit and not break the king pin off?? Or that ball that says it will handle 10000 pds?? will It??? I always wondered about there safety and how the insurance companys would view these homes. I know that we as rv'ers have a pretty good driving record and our safety record speaks for itself but what do they look for when they do the walk thru and give you the quote?? What is it based on??
Boy did I open up Pandora's box or ??
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #8

I'm taking the "ostrich" approach to the safety of mine. And I've seen the results of too many new RV's to trust them either. When it comes to a roll over (or any wreck), I would rather be in the bus than the Class C.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would be inclined to think the same! I have often wondered what or who if any apples does any testing? What I was wondering...They test cars and trucks for the safety, Who does it for Buses and rv's? Is there a body of some kind that does testing? Do they really test and if so, Where do they post this information so that it can be accessed?? How about Lemons or the lemon laws. Are some safer than others. One person posted the old add about them dropping Winnebago's upside down, I wouldn't try that now and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't try that with the one we are in right now!! This is a Itasca and that is one of the brands that Winnebago sales. I can get the loft wobbling just rocking this buggy! I don't think they made it that way But it doesn't show the water damage you would see in that small opening! Personally I'd take that bed out and put the tv there and make the sofa into a bed at night and in the day a sofa. My body has been telling me that it don't like climbing up and down ladders!! Anyway any other info here would help us figure out how to tell just how these rv's were thrown together or really put together.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #10

http://www.natc-ht.com/Recreational_Vehicle_Testing.htm

http://www.rv.net/output.cfm?ID=812827

Those two came up on Google when I searched for RV safety testing. . .

The first is the more relevant of the two. The second is more of driver training.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #11

Dan,
I think the real question here is after you find that the MH you have is sub standard in terms of safety,how are you going to do something about it?.The roof bows in mine are 3/4" x 1 1/4" and would not hold up in a rollover.You would need to weld outriggers towards the the walls from the frame and roll bars up the walls and over the inside of the roof and "x" the rollbars in.I don't see me doing that anytime soon nor would I expect anyone else to do that.The amount of force is times the wt times the speed in a rollover.You add wt with rollbars you have to account for that as well.With this one the terms of "let sleeping dogs lay" is likely the best answer.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM   #12

Some time ago there was a bit on ambulance safety on Nightline(?) and they were featuring a company in Austrailia that was building exterior roll cages on them. They were three or four inch tubular steel and wrapped over the top of the vehicle going from front to back and attached underneath to the chassis. These were pretty large abulances built on custom chassis simular to class C and A motorhomes.

The clincher was a roll test at highway speeds. Everything stayed together and the accident was deemed survivable.

It did end up looking like something from a Mad Max movie but it did work.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Maybe a good idea but how many people would want there motor home to look like a ??? I don't even have a idea what that would be called. Something like from Mad Max would most likely be the best ya could do.. They could hide rool bars in the walls like mine but what keeps them from just folding down as you land on the roof. They made the box and didn't put anything to hold it together!! On mine that set of roll bars has nothing holding them together. So IF you end up rolling those roll bars will just lay down!! My way of looking at surviving a roll over as Nill..No way!! i think Lorna is right, Pretend I'm a Ostrich!!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #14

Actually, teh best you can do in the case of something this large is driver's training. The way to survive an accident is to not be in it. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote