Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Question How to change the ignition switch???

I need pictures and step by step info, it's a 1991 oshkosh chassis and it has cruise control, I know I miust remove the steering wheel to get at the switch, I am concerned about all the wires that are in there, can anyone j help me out????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

I am fairly sure the Oshkosh gas RV chassis used a Ford steering column. You should be able to find information for replacing the switch here:
91 ford truck ignition switch replace - Google Search

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
I am fairly sure the Oshkosh gas RV chassis used a Ford steering column. You should be able to find information for replacing the switch here:

Dave
I have a 93 diesel,it has a Ford steering wheel.The wiring will not be a problem.It will have a wired plug in.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Our 1989 has the John Deere Chassis, it has a FORD truck steering column. The manual, Chassis Manual (very large file) states that you are to refer to the FORD light truck shop manual. The John Deere chassis business was sold to Oshkosh and was basically unchanged. It was then sold to Freightliner. They still have special parts for it and are very helpful.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:

Dave
I went to an antique ford truck forum (1981 thru 1995) and found that the actual ignition switch is bolted to the steering column under the dash, I found it, removed it and bought a new one for 12 bucks and it did not cure anything. The only thing left is the wire between the hot side of the starter solenoid and the ignition switch, there has to be a break in that somewwhere.

I have two wires on that part and we determined that one of them powered the Horn, headlights and emergency flasher, the other one has to be the one that powers the ignition switch, I hope fingers crossed it does not rain again tomorrow
Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Far as I know the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis manual (330MB) that rsflight linked to is the correct manual. Starting system wiring diagram is on pdf page 326. Don't forget:

Fusible links that provide power to the switch (friend of mines Oshkosh chassis was not charging properly due to a failing fusible link). There are 2 of them in the path to the ign switch.

Nuetral Safety Switch (between ign switch and starter relay; sometimes just jiggling the gear shift lever gets it to work).

Fuel pump power is routed through the oil pressure safety cuttoff switch.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

got it to go at last
Quote:
Far as I know the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis manual (330MB) that rsflight linked to is the correct manual. Starting system wiring diagram is on pdf page 326. Don't forget:

Fusible links that provide power to the switch (friend of mines Oshkosh chassis was not charging properly due to a failing fusible link). There are 2 of them in the path to the ign switch.

Nuetral Safety Switch (between ign switch and starter relay; sometimes just jiggling the gear shift lever gets it to work).

Fuel pump power is routed through the oil pressure safety cuttoff switch.

Dave
got it to go at l;ast, one of those last wires was not passing electric that must have been the fusable like, spliced past it and everthing came alive