Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How to find VIN

I just purchased a 1970 (we think) Holiday rambler. The man did not have a title. And it was registered w/ a nontitle number. How do we find the VIN-I have sanded down the tongue and saw a 13 digit number and was told that was not the VIN. And the breaker box has been replaced. How do I find the VIN to get insurance, tag, title, etc. Thanks in advance. This is our first camper-so we are lost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myr1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	92731  

angmac97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
As far as I know trailer VINS are always on the frame somewhere, usually the tongue since law enforcement has to be able to access them.

Also, VINS were not standardized until 1981, so manufacturers used different formats. If the person who told you your 13-digit number was not a VIN is basing that on current standards, he may very well be wrong.

According to Vintage Camper Trailer Magazine ;
Serial numbers are frequently found on the tounge rail on the passenger side. (Usually on top, but may be on the drivers side or the side of the rail). Use paint remover or sand lightly to uncover the numbers. The first two digits may be letters that identify your make, followed by the year, length and number of production. Example: Serial number (or VIN number): MR 57 25 123 is a Monterey, 1957, 25' number 123.

HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
From Wikipedia:
"VINs were first used in 1954.[1] From 1954 to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats. In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States standardized the format.[1] It required all over-the-road-vehicles sold to contain a 17-character VIN, which does not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0)."

13 digit VIN's were common prior to 1981, so the number you found could be correct. I'd check with Holiday Rambler. If all else fails, many states will provide you with a new VIN. Check with your BMV.
CadillLinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you for that. I called the Holiday Rambler company and gave him the number I found and he ran it and said it is not it. The number I found was located on the top passenger side of the tongue. The Rambler company swears even though it's that old it will be a longer number. I also called the Rambler club and gave them the old club member number. They said they destroyed all the old records a few years ago but can tell me that it was registered in apx July of 1970.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myr2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	92738  
angmac97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I too am having a problem finding a Vin number. I find 20D3V1030 on the tongue and on an attached metal plate on a 1972 Argosy camper trailer. That is only 9 characters. Could there be another number in another location and where?
Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

holiday rambler