Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpnc View Post
Id check with a vinyl wrap place also. It might be real inexpensive to have a wrap made for it.
They do admit trucks and racecar trailers all the time and it holds up.
I would seriously consider a wrap if i was in your shoes.

Check this out. A Minnie must be so much easier to wrap than a Mercedes. More material but a lot less time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the pealing decals removed on my Outlaw and had professionals paint it to hide the shadows with 3 coats of clear coat. The paint is guaranteed for life.
Quality is like buying fresh oats.
You can buy top quality fresh oats or oats that have been cycled through a horse first.
Your choice. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

Wrapping ain't a bad idea but I think it's rather expensive compared to gloss or semi-gloss house paint. There is also enamel paint called "tractor paint" that is lower cost but less variety of colors. It's a high gloss brushable paint.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #18

Just checked wrap costs for a car and they come in at $2500-$5000. Don't want to think of the cost of a 27' MH.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #19

I am more than appreciative at the vast array of comments here, and as well amazed at the variety of views. This was my brothers motor home and he was a mechanic for the military and even spent time in Iraq doing this. So it is solid, recent rebuilt transmission. As well as other good Maintance. It has 54,000 on it. We will probably keep the RV for 3-4 years but the outside really really bothers me so a paint Job is going to have to happen. I am amazed that the range of suggestions I am learn from that runs from house paint to high quality auto paint. I am guessing something in the middle is right. I am an artist and the strips do not bother me. It's what to paint over the current ugly dull yellow old paint. And the strips are all cracked. How to deal with that? Please continue to advise:-). ThankYou to all who have and will contribute!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #20

I am not sure what wrap even means but someone said that would be very expensive for a vehicle this size?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #21

The strips might be vinyl self stick You might try a hand held heat gun to remove them. I done it and it does work. Try Harbor Frieght to find one,
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #22

There is a video of a wrap being installed in a prior post,did you not watch it? Google rv warps a ton of sites with pictures.Im sure you have seen those cars driving around all painted up shiny advertising. A product,that is a wrap.not paint. Any graffic can be out on one,if you wanted your camper to be covered in flowers it can be done.I have no idea what it costs but I'd check into it as a option. If you are looking at painting it yourself be prepared to remove old vinyl decals, sand prime and paint. It is a lot of work.but can be done. Like anything your end result is only as good as the foundation you start with. Keep in mind I'm sure there are some camp places that might be picky about how a vehicle looks.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #23

Many of the "picky" camp places stop admitting vehicles over 10 yrs old. I've had to show pictures only once though before I got there but then again I don't usually try to go to the real fancy places where I know there is an issue.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Wraps...
RV Wrap Examples | WrapVehicles.com

Bus Graphics | Bus Wraps | RV Decals | Ads On Wheels

Trailer Graphics Wraps, Horse Trailer Decal, Vinyl Trailer Graphics, SkinzWraps™, Dallas, FL, L.A, NY, NC
Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #25

Hi, I might be a little late to this thread but have you considered a good professional polish job?

You would be surprised how well that old paint could come back.

Find an RV detailer near you to do a section and you can then determine if it would work for the whole motor home.

Then either repaint the stripes or use new decals. There are places that laser cut vinyl in any color you like for the replacements.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpnc View Post
Id check with a vinyl wrap place also. It might be real inexpensive to have a wrap made for it.
They do admit trucks and racecar trailers all the time and it holds up.

I just got a quote to wrap my 24ft enclosed car trailer. I went to three places and the lowest cost for the trailer only was 8K. Not low cost for sure.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #27

I am not going for wrap. That is not applicable. I do not like the dull yellow color and the strips are seriously crack so not going for polish! I am looking for paint type and ideas in line with paint only. The cab will have to be painted as well. What type of paint is my question.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #28

Paint for older rv

Just want paint type for rain ting an older rv.

Tags
paint