Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

How to remove a ceiling cabinet

Where did they hide all the screws, normally how many are there to hold it up? It is a single unit over the swivel chair behind the passenger captains chair

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yah!! and the kitchen overhead cupboards mine has water damage and I need to rebuild how do they mount the dang thing ??I have a Itasca 31...what are you working on ?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjh View Post
Yah!! and the kitchen overhead cupboards mine has water damage and I need to rebuild how do they mount the dang thing ??I have a Itasca 31...what are you working on ?
Mine is a Silver eagle 30, I have no cabinet damage but a lot of wall damage. To repair the wall between the front windshield and the entry door I have to remove one small wall cabinet, I pulled all the trim off the inside of the cabinet and found 5 screws behind some trim attaching the lower part of the cabinet to the wall, I also found 4 screws in the top front of the cabinet attaching it to the ceiling, I removed them all and it is just as solid as ever I can swing on it and it will not even wiggle. what else must I do???? There is a rotted 1 x 3 behind the cabinet, I can see part of it sticking out.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
nice to know it is still strong ...anyone out there that can help us ??
Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

I had a simular problem like that so I talked to a guy who worked in them. what I was told was they screw the cabinets on from the out side walls..when they put the walls up on a camper.. don't know if all manufactors do that or not mabe this will give you some idea why it's still on the wall after you take the screws out of it...
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanc View Post
I had a simular problem like that so I talked to a guy who worked in them. what I was told was they screw the cabinets on from the out side walls..when they put the walls up on a camper.. don't know if all manufactors do that or not mabe this will give you some idea why it's still on the wall after you take the screws out of it...
My wife wondered that too, she asked me if they could they be screwed on from the outsdie and the inside, man that puts a hitch in my git along......
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some also try and mount a piece of plywood around the same size as the cabinet itself. You found the front screws and there should be ones in the back and maybe the sides too. Mine were like that when the replaced the roof. I don't remember there being any screws from the outside to the cabinet inside. But then... different companys...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

I think it varies from Rv to Rv. My father-n-law has a fifth wheel and his were screwed from the outside. The one in my Winnebago had the screws on the upper part of the cabinet on the inside of the door opening. Then I had to remove the floor of each cabinet to access the screws that fastened the cabinet to the wall. It was a nightmare on the first cabinet, but once I got one figured out it was a piece of cake after that. I am guessing that maybe......if they are solid wood cabinets then they are mounted from the outside, if they are hollow construction like mine, then they are mounted from the inside. Can you post a couple photos of the cabinet that you are trying to get out?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mine has wood blocking on the inside screwed to the roof/walls, then cabinet screwed to the blocking..

Careful though.. No matter how they are mounted, they are really flimsy..
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Mine has wood blocking on the inside screwed to the roof/walls, then cabinet screwed to the blocking..

Careful though.. No matter how they are mounted, they are really flimsy..
Maybe on some, others you can hang from with no problem. Our '98 Santara would fall apart while driving, our Dutch Stars have never been a problem and you can hang from them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Oh mine are pretty tough mounted to the wall and ceiling, but once removed...
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I think it varies from Rv to Rv. My father-n-law has a fifth wheel and his were screwed from the outside. The one in my Winnebago had the screws on the upper part of the cabinet on the inside of the door opening. Then I had to remove the floor of each cabinet to access the screws that fastened the cabinet to the wall. It was a nightmare on the first cabinet, but once I got one figured out it was a piece of cake after that. I am guessing that maybe......if they are solid wood cabinets then they are mounted from the outside, if they are hollow construction like mine, then they are mounted from the inside. Can you post a couple photos of the cabinet that you are trying to get out?
We decided to leave it where it is and work around it, all the rotted wood was about a foot below the cabinet from the window leak, we will replace the panel up to the cabinet and then trim around it to make it look nice.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
You are removing that wall under the wall cabinet anyway, so just remove all that you can and that should give to access to the studs going up behind the wall cabinet. Then you should be able to get a pry bar and force it. Hope that helps. I've been there, done that.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling