Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brv View Post
Been there done this and simple. Being a 91 in an oshkosh it is just a bit newer then one of our fleet. We have the same setup in an 89. Keys to remember if emission controls are tested in your area then it "needs" to be there. However we did away with the air tubes when we did the headers the pumps are no longer hooked up and both seized by now but we are still legal and pass all tests ever preformed on the unit. However the crossover tube on the back of the heads really shouldn't be removed as it works to balance the crank case pressures between the heads. The charcoal cans and vacume lines go un touched. To be entirely honest if the system is still working don't mess with it. If you happen to loose a pump. Simple remove them from the belt drive system but leave them installed and plug the bungs in the manifold. DOT and smog cops have tons of power to pull plates. Here in ontario as the unit is post 87 it requires testing and inspection biannually of the rest of its life. If you were to bring one here with everything bypassed and removed they can pull the plates.
Down here in Miami they first did away with vehicle safety inspections every year and replaced then with vehicle emissions testing every year and then they did away with those. To get a title, a registration and plate all you need is a bill of sale, proof of cheap insurance and cash in hand, cost me 500 to register the RV and get a title, 250 of that was for the plate.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
in texas you have to be 25 years old for them not to sniff tail pipe
Yes, but that doesn't exempt you from visual inspection. If they notice that smog equipment is removed, you'll fail visual.

If they can't tell and they still smog the vehicle, lack of an air pump doesn't mean you'll fail.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Down here in Miami they first did away with vehicle safety inspections every year and replaced then with vehicle emissions testing every year and then they did away with those. To get a title, a registration and plate all you need is a bill of sale, proof of cheap insurance and cash in hand, cost me 500 to register the RV and get a title, 250 of that was for the plate.
my worry for you would be in other areas. before defeating the smog gear check to see what the requirements are else where, to be simple i wouldnt want to go to somewhere like california with it defeated..... also check with your local mechanic to see what exactly they look for when they do a safety prior to putting a vehicle on the road. a road side inspector will follow the same guidelines.
4brv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brv View Post
my worry for you would be in other areas. before defeating the smog gear check to see what the requirements are else where, to be simple i wouldnt want to go to somewhere like california with it defeated..... also check with your local mechanic to see what exactly they look for when they do a safety prior to putting a vehicle on the road. a road side inspector will follow the same guidelines.
Arew you telling me that in some other states they may pull an RV over to do a safety check and emissions check? Never heard of that.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #19

air removal

did this on my 85 class c if it is legal where you are,I pulled the pump and belt. the tubing and valves removed the manifold fittings cut and bent the tubing over brazed it shut reinstalled plugged all unneeded lines removed egr valve made a plate and seal it off. readjusted the timing and carb, power is better can't say about fuel mileage as it would only run 55-60 when i bought and got 6.6 to 9 on the trip home. got 6.6 to 7 on vacation i cruised it at 70 pulling my car.
hoping to get the cruise fixed before next long trip, then see if it gets better at a slower speed, just hard to hold that slow a speed on my foot
good luck it isn't too tough a project just time consuming
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #20

Although some states check emissions and some don't it is a federal offense to remove any emissions equipment no matter where you are in the USA.
You just have to weigh the chance of getting busted against removing the equipment.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
did this on my 85 class c if it is legal where you are,I pulled the pump and belt. the tubing and valves removed the manifold fittings cut and bent the tubing over brazed it shut reinstalled plugged all unneeded lines removed egr valve made a plate and seal it off. readjusted the timing and carb, power is better can't say about fuel mileage as it would only run 55-60 when i bought and got 6.6 to 9 on the trip home. got 6.6 to 7 on vacation i cruised it at 70 pulling my car.
hoping to get the cruise fixed before next long trip, then see if it gets better at a slower speed, just hard to hold that slow a speed on my foot
good luck it isn't too tough a project just time consuming

How far did you adjust your timing ?

I thought about doing that, I just wasn't sure how far to take it.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #22

timing

got out an old service manual and set it to an early spec for a heavy duty 460 application don't remember the year just as far back as 460's went. working ok no pinging still easy to start no heating problems even running dash air
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
If memory serves me, it should be anywhere from 6-12 degrees BTDC, depending on the carb and emissions. I'm not sure what mine is now (haven't looked it up yet), but figured a half turn or so on he carb, and use my vaccuum gauge to set the timing should get me close.