Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

How to replace glass in sliding window?

I going have my glass guy cut me some glass to replace my sliding windows up front that were broken. I managed to get the frames out but they didn't have any glass in them. I was able to flex the frames enough to get the frame out of the track. But how do I go about putting it back in? Should I take the back bar of the frame off and slide the glass in once I have the frame back in the track? That's the only idea I have, any suggestions? This is for my 72 superior. [/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
bigbertha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
First, I hope you're having tempered safety glass cut to fit.

Usually the window frame is sized to allow the sliding part to be pushed up into the track high enough to allow bottom to clear the lower fixed frame. There might be an insert in the upper track that must be removed first to allow removal of the window that after the sliding part is inserted gets slide into place and refastened.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

Don't buy tempered glass and then try to cut it. It needs to be cut first and then it can be polished on the edges and tempered. Tempered glass will shatter if you try to cut it. You should be able to reinstall the slider without dismantling the window. Take a good look at it and if it doesn't look possible to you then take a picture and ask your local RV dealer to explain the process to you. Looks like a great project. Will be nice to see it take on a new life.
I'm not sure what the regulations are but usually windshields are tempered but the other windows are single or preferably double strength glass. I will have to look into that question.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Don't buy tempered glass and then try to cut it. It needs to be cut first and then it can be polished on the edges and tempered. Tempered glass will shatter if you try to cut it. You should be able to reinstall the slider without dismantling the window. Take a good look at it and if it doesn't look possible to you then take a picture and ask your local RV dealer to explain the process to you. Looks like a great project. Will be nice to see it take on a new life.
I'm not sure what the regulations are but usually windshields are tempered but the other windows are single or preferably double strength glass. I will have to look into that question.
Windshields are safety glass and not tempered. They have a sandwich of at least three layers, two glass and a plastic in between.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Windshields are safety glass and not tempered. They have a sandwich of at least three layers, two glass and a plastic in between.
While true of windshields, side and back glass is usually tempered glass. Tempered glass is made by cutting, then put in an oven. After heating, it is cooled quickly by fans. The surface of the glass is cooled faster than the interior, so the surface is under compression and the interior is under tension. When broken, the glass breaks into small nuggets with few sharp edges. Because the edges of the glass also cool quickly, the edges are usually ground away until this weaker glass is removed. Tempered glass is typically 5-10 X as strong as untempered glass.

When I said, "I hope you're having tempered safety glass cut to fit." I meant that a qualified shop would cut and temper the glass for the frames the OP showed in the photos. This is not a DIY project, but installing the glass, once cut, can be.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, window, ace