Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

HWH Hydraulic Leveling System Problem

I just purchased a 1990 Coachmen Classic 310MB with a HWH model: AP-5438 leveling system that uses four AP-3664 Jack assemblies. The two rear jacks are stuck extended in the horizontal position. When I purchased it they were retracted further but in testing it to see if they worked I ended up extending them only to have them retract only a few inches at the least. There's a picture of the (worse) right one here http://i.imgur.com/rB7H701.jpg I have the owners manual for the system which includes schematics and instructions but it's not very clear to me. If anyone has any advice at all I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Search the HWH site for the manual on your system. It will have the process to open the solenoid valve so you can retract your jacks.

You can also call HWH tech support and get help. They are often back logged but will put you on a call list.

It's also helpful to wipe down the cylinder with a clean rag and wd40 (light amount for cleaning purposes) as dust and dirt gum up the seals.

Good luck.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Mine has a zerk fitting at the top of the cylinder. Use regular chassis grease. The instructions say to extend them as far as possible and spray with WD-40 and wipe down carefully, then apply a light coat of oil. I am little hesitant about oil since it attracts dirt. I would prefer a light coat of silicone spray. You should be able to push the foot back into the cylinder. A couple of cycles should loosen the cylinder up. As long as the spring is intact, the foot should retract into the cylinder.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
That's exactly what mine looks like. A block of wood & a 42" crow bar puts it right back up. Maybe I'll try lubricating it.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

Mine are straight acting. They don't fold up like the one in the picture. HWH is suggesting spring replacements on those to help with this issue?
Apparently the replacements are stronger?

I wipe mine down using a rag with trans fluid on it because that's what that cylinder is going to be bathed in on the other side of that seal?

Because mine were stored extended and hadn't been used in a while when I bought it, I had to use a board to pry a couple of them up at first. Now after quite a bit of usage they're fine, especially if given some time. I generally retract them prior to putting the power, water, and sewer hoses away. By time I'm done stowing that stuff, they'll be up all the way and away we go!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Partially Successful

I was able to clean off the rear jacks and push them in by foot. One broke loose and retracted on its own but the other required significant force to push it in. Maybe time will tell if they'll work dependably. Now I've got an issue with the small piston that moves the jacks from horizontal to vertical positions on the rear jacks. The left one extended when I pulled the jack down by hand so I cleaned it and it's partially working but the right one is seized retracted. I've tried spraying it with WD-40 and gently trying to lift it up with a pickle fork with hydraulic pressure behind it. Anybody have any ideas? I've got the manual for the HWH system model AP-5438 if anyone wants a digital copy I could take pictures of it.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the same jacks on my MH and from the picture one of your problems is that the jack is at or above a 180 degree plane when it needs to be below the 180 degrees. When hydraulic pressure is applied to the jack to lower it if the jack is not set below the 180 plane it will try to go up or straight out, basically not move. You need to adjust your jack stops so that the jacks is pointing down slightly when retracted. Now as far as the retracting problem could be a number of things, control valve, dirty piston, weak springs, etc..

John
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

It does need to be adjusted but I don't think that's the reason it won't go vertical. I've crawled under the mh and held down the jack by hand while someone hit the switch to drop all the jacks and the actuator piston never moves despite no load. Here's a hydraulic circuit diagram for the system from the book I have http://i.imgur.com/CF3QHNt.jpg It shows that all of the actuators for each jack share a common control valve and since the other 3 move then it's probably not that. At this point I'm assuming the piston is rusted into the barrel but I'm not sure if it'd be a great idea to attempt to brute force it.

By the way, I noticed the right rear jack is welded to the frame and the left rear is bolted and moves a bit. Would this be a good reason to not use it until I get someone to weld it to the frame?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
By the way, I noticed the right rear jack is welded to the frame and the left rear is bolted and moves a bit. Would this be a good reason to not use it until I get someone to weld it to the frame?
My guess is that the one that is welded in place is not OEM
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
HWH levelers

The problem is obvious from the picture, the return spring is broken. it should loop over the top and return to the bottom of the foot. Contact HWH good people and fast service.
Gerry
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daexyooper View Post
The problem is obvious from the picture, the return spring is broken. it should loop over the top and return to the bottom of the foot. Contact HWH good people and fast service.
Gerry
Good catch. Isn't the jack kicked out in the wrong direction? Is it facing forward in stead of towards the rear of the coach? The spring should be wrapped around the curved steel at the top when in the up position. I haven't had this style for many years now.

Tags
hwh, leveling