Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
hydraulic fan

My 1980 Foretravel pusher has a rather troublesome belt-driven fan system.

I have begun the research and parts gathering to convert it to a hydraulic set-up.

I have acquired a transit bus hydraulic fan motor and need to figure out how to drive it. My only option is a belt drive pump and I am sure to have to make a bracket or two.

Can any of you fellow vintage folks provide me with a pump manufacturer, part number, picture or advice?

As usual, this project is so off the wall that I can't find any info in the conventional planned obsolesence (sp) throw-away world we live in.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #2

Does your unit have air brakes? If so I would go to an air hub and controller, much easier and most likely cheaper than a hyd system. You can get these parts at just about any truck supply house.
markndeb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good idea thanks, my problem however is that I have a side radiator. The fan is currently driven through a belt system and right-angle box. That's why I need to go hydraulic
rickricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #4

your best bet is to find a salvage yard that handles the types of buses you want to make your system into....
the ones i have seen use a direct crank mounted pump and bypassing controller this was on heavy equipment so may differ
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
your best bet is to find a salvage yard that handles the types of buses you want to make your system into....
the ones i have seen use a direct crank mounted pump and bypassing controller this was on heavy equipment so may differ
Norther tool has a belt drive electric clutch pump that may do the trick. That and a temp switch with relay and an adjustable flow controller and I am closer than I was
Old 03-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #6

Rick,
Just stumbled across your post. There is a fellow that rebuilds Foretravel FTXs. Here is a link to one of his rebuilds: Keep Those Classics Rolling He even includes his email address if you need any help. He has done a lot of hunting for parts and what can be used to replace obsolete parts. Hope this is some help.
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4travlin View Post
Rick,
Just stumbled across your post. There is a fellow that rebuilds Foretravel FTXs. Here is a link to one of his rebuilds: Keep Those Classics Rolling He even includes his email address if you need any help. He has done a lot of hunting for parts and what can be used to replace obsolete parts. Hope this is some help.
Ahhhh
Information!

Thanks a lot!

Tags
fan