Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #1

Hydraulic leveling jacks

Sorry,
I'm new to the rv world. I've got all kind of questions. I have a 96 Winnebago
Itasca Sunrise 31ft. How high can I lift it with the jacks for leveling purposes.
Thanks for your info
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

I assume you have HWH levelers although I checked the 1996 Itasca brochure and couldn't find where levelers were an option. You can actually lift the whole motorhome off the ground but more than likely it will move forward and fold up the jacks. The best idea is to just level the MH to the point it is stable and level but leave enough weight on the tires to keep it secure in place.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

I've been in an emergency situation and had to lift the front end of my Class A completely off the ground with my HWH jacks. They did just fine and are rated a lot more than my Coach weighed. It's not recommended to to do this, but only under the most extreme and temorary situations1
But it may mean the difference of dragging a tow truck 100 miles to rescue you and getting yourself unstuck in the middle of BFE for a week.

But a little trick is to use cribbing (2 X 6 boards cut to 12~ 16 inches ) under the jack pads should you ever get on an unlevel spot where the jacks barely touch the ground. The point is to try and keep your rams from having to set under load with them extended to end of their limit of travel. A lot less stress on the seals this way.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lifting the fronts off the ground is no problem,but all 6 scary.That would be a good way to bend a jack if something moved foward,backward or sideways.Try jacking up a car and instead of jackstands put 4 6x6's under it and then lean on one side.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

I use mine to lift and change a flat tire. I love it. Had a flat on the front lifted the rear remove the outer tire, lower the rear, lifted the front and put the one off the rear on the front an drove home with it. Had 25miles to home.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It is never a good idea to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Remember, your parking brake clamps onto the drive shaft. If your rear wheels are airborne, there is nothing to hold your coach in place.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
It is never a good idea to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Remember, your parking brake clamps onto the drive shaft. If your rear wheels are airborne, there is nothing to hold your coach in place.
One of the good reasons to carry enough cribbing to use a wheel chocks. Especially if you don't carry wheel chocks.

And should you have to raise the tires off the ground, you can stack your cribbing under the axles to act as a safety jack stand in case the hydraulic jack seals blow out and drops the Vehicle on your head.

One last more advantage to carrying cribbing. They make good firewood should you get stuck in the snow bank and run out of fuels for the heaters.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #8

There should be no trouble lifting one or both of the front wheels off the ground. The rear wheels are a different story. As mentioned earlier with all 4 (or even just the rears) off the ground the motorhome won't be stable on a hill. 4 little pads can't provide a base sufficient to keep 20,000 lbs from moving.

Every year in July Winnebago holds a Grand National Rally in Forest City Iowa. The rally site is a former golf course just across the street from the factory. When you sign up they send out a packet of information. One of the brochures includes information on what you will need at the campgrounds. They always tell you to bring wood blocks.

The first time we went I thought they were talking about pads to put under the jacks so they wouldn't sink into the soft grass. When we got there we found out they meant enough wood to support 1 or more tires should you be unlucky enough to get a site on the side or over the crest of a hill.

Most sites are level enough the jacks can do the job without raising a tire off the ground. However there are some sites that have a steep enough incline that some blocking is required. They always park the coaches with the front facing downhill so any blocking needed will be under the front tires. I've seen coaches with 1 wheel as much as a foot off the ground. Rather than leaving it hang in mid air and having the jack slowly sink into the ground people raise the wheel high enough to put blocks under the tire then lower the wheel on the blocks.

Tags
jacks, leveling