Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic Radiator Fan Thermostat

G'Day guys,
I have an 88 Monaco with a 3208 Turbo and Hydraulic Radiator Fan. The fan seems to cut in very early, about 180 degrees and only runs for under a minute before turning off but shortly after will turn On again for another 30 seconds to a minute.

Obviously, the Fan is thermostatically controlled but to my understanding, the temperature setting on the thermostat is set too cold. Are the Thermostats adjustable or if fixed, is it possible to replace the thermostat with a higher temperature unit, perhaps 190 degress. Would the Thermostat be located in the Radiator tank or on the engine.

Appreciate any help.
Regards
Rod

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

Not familiar with your particular coach, but many older DPs have what is generically called a wax valve. It is usually mounted on the radiator. Mine is on the side of the radiator closest to the engine, and has two hydraulic hoses attached to it. It regulates a flow of hydraulic fluid to the fan, and acts like a variable switch.

If the flow is uninterrupted, the fan runs slow or not at all. If the flow is blocked, the fan runs full-speed. One can, with about $8 of parts from a hardware store, combine the hoses to and from the wax valve, and then cap them off to check operation of the system other than the wax valve.

Wax valves are very hardy, pretty expensive ($400 and up), but they can go bad. Mine is not adjustable.

On our coach, the fan ran furiously at cold idle. I learned that my coach had a built-in restrictor to make the fan run in order to keep the air conditioner head pressure down. On advice of experts, I drilled out the restrictor to calm the fan down some.

Searching this site for "wax valve" will help you a lot with your questions.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Matt,
appreciate the info mate and I'll look further into the 'Wax Valve'.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

I have the same engine, the thermostats are located on the front of the engine (back of the coach). The 3208T uses two thermostats, and on my coach, the radiator fill line is connected to the thermostat housing. They are not adjustable, I replaced mine a couple years ago.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilleshps View Post
I have the same engine, the thermostats are located on the front of the engine (back of the coach). The 3208T uses two thermostats, and on my coach, the radiator fill line is connected to the thermostat housing. They are not adjustable, I replaced mine a couple years ago.
Thanks Gilleshps,
I did see a couple of Thermostats on the front of the Engine, close to one another. One is not connected and I can't see any wire in close proximity to it. The other one does have a wire connected but I wasn't sure if this was for the Fan or perhaps the Dash Gauge.
I was told there was one in the top radiator tank for the fan but haven't been able to sight it yet.
Regards
Rod
Old 09-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #6

You're welcome Rod, I don't think there's any wire connected directly to my thermostat housing but I'll take a couple pics in the morning and post them for you.

My hydraulic fan rarely runs where i can hear it unless I'm pulling a hill, and my toad is an E250 3/4 ton extended van which is pretty well loaded. And my coach is 32k GVWR too, so I'm pulling a pretty good load.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You're welcome Rod, I don't think there's any wire connected directly to my thermostat housing but I'll take a couple pics in the morning and post them for you.

My hydraulic fan rarely runs where i can hear it unless I'm pulling a hill, and my toad is an E250 3/4 ton extended van which is pretty well loaded. And my coach is 32k GVWR too, so I'm pulling a pretty good load.
Thanks mate,
appreciate some pics to give me a better idea. Now that you've pointed me in the right direction, I can always remove the wire while the engine is running and see what affect it has. If it it the fan Thermostat wire, shorting it to ground should kick the fan in.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

Ok I took a couple pics for you. There is a sensor below the housing, but I'm not sure that's the coolant temp sensor. Do you have the book Rod? If not I have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1751917923.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	107518   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4043308511.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	107519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3542220075.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	107520  
Old 09-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ok I took a couple pics for you. There is a sensor below the housing, but I'm not sure that's the coolant temp sensor. Do you have the book Rod? If not I have one.
Hmm, looks a little different to mine and my Temp sender only has one wire. I need to check if mine is in the water pump housing or in the actual block.
I have a heap of reading material from the previous owner. Best I pull my finger out and start reading.
Thanks for all your help Gilleshps.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Lol, ok Rod let me know what you find out. You're welcome!
Old 09-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Lol, ok Rod let me know what you find out. You're welcome!
Well, after following wires from the Fan Solenoid to the Relay and further, I found the Fan Switch/Thermostat located in the bottom radiator hose. I removed it and found a series of numbers on it but was unable to find the part using Google. The last numbers were 160 so I'm going to assume that the 160 represents the Temperature at which the Thermostat closes to trigger the fan. I've ordered an Australian manufactured Fan Switch, rated at 180 degrees(F) and will see how that goes. Since I've had to drain the entire colling system to get the Thermostat out, I may as well use the opportunity to put new Cat ELC Coolant in it.
Thanks again for your help Gilleshps.

Tags
fan, radiator, thermostat