Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
against my better judgement.Here's what happened,during the real cold spell I decided to start my coach to make sure my batteries were staying charged.I preheated the engine then tried starting the engine well it rolled over to slow to start,ok so used the boost still to slow.Now I start to worry about will generator start should I lose electricity, needed to use boost but yes it started.In the mean time I call hubby while generator is running,he suggests waiting a few minutes then try starting engine while the generator was running,his theory is it would act like jumping the batteries,I did question this (just a gut feeling)not to argue with him I try to start engine,not only did the engine not start but the generator stopped running.Now when I try to start the generator I have to use boost or there is nothing there,and I mean nothing the generator will start, run about twenty minutes then dies.Engine till won't start acts like totally dead batteries not even a click or dash noises,with boost it acts normal just not enough juice to start.
Did I totally kill my batteries or is it more serious.My house batteries are just fine.Please help! Hugs Peabody

Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
against my better judgement.Here's what happened,during the real cold spell I decided to start my coach to make sure my batteries were staying charged.I preheated the engine then tried starting the engine well it rolled over to slow to start,ok so used the boost still to slow.Now I start to worry about will generator start should I lose electricity, needed to use boost but yes it started.In the mean time I call hubby while generator is running,he suggests waiting a few minutes then try starting engine while the generator was running,his theory is it would act like jumping the batteries,I did question this (just a gut feeling)not to argue with him I try to start engine,not only did the engine not start but the generator stopped running.Now when I try to start the generator I have to use boost or there is nothing there,and I mean nothing the generator will start, run about twenty minutes then dies.Engine till won't start acts like totally dead batteries not even a click or dash noises,with boost it acts normal just not enough juice to start.
Did I totally kill my batteries or is it more serious.My house batteries are just fine.Please help! Hugs Peabody

Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently had the same type of thing happen. The RV would not start even when using the battery boost. I jumped the chassis battery and started the Coach. I then started the generator. Leaving the generator running I shut off the Coach motor. I then tried to start the Coach using the boost feature and the generator died. I jumped the chassis battery again and repeated the procedure with the same results.

I changed out the chassis battery and all now appears to be OK. When I had the old chassis battery checked it was dead and would not take a charge. By the way, I replaced the chassis battery with an Optima Red Top AGM.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's really good to hear I was afraid I'd really messed things up.Replacing two dead batteries is better then some other things I can think of.Hugs Peabody
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced just the chassis battery but intend to replace the house batteries with the Optima AGM Blue Tops in the Spring. I also replaced my converter with a Progressive Dynamics 9260. I pray this cures my battery woes for a little while.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote