Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

I have an 84 fleetwood southwind questions

I'm new to the rv world and I've got a few questions that i hope some of you guys can help.
1. There are 2 switches right in front of the kitchen sink. 1 is for the pump but what is the 2nd switch FOR?
2. On the power center there is a breaker with a red and one with a green switch. Are these the breakers for the generator and the land power line? Do I turn one off and then turn the other one on when i switch between generator and land line?
3.where can i get a new muffler and tailpipe for a onan generator?

Thanks guys any any help you can give.
Jim
jmurphy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

im waiting as my 85 doesn't match
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
2. On the power center there is a breaker with a red and one with a green switch. Are these the breakers for the generator and the land power line? Do I turn one off and then turn the other one on when i switch between generator and land line?

The breakers will control your 110v AC circuits. One is probably your main breaker, controlling all circuits and the other may be just your air conditioner.

They will not control the generator (your gennie does not require AC power), and you will not use them to switch between shore power and gennie. If you do not have an automatic transfer or change-over switch, then it was common to have an outlet in the generator compartment, into which you plugged your big shore power cord when you wanted generator power.

Onan mufflers are available from a number of places on the web. Just Google your model number and see what comes up. We recently bought a new muffler and a voltage regulator from these folks. They are super helpful- great folks who go out of their way for their customers.

Can't help you with the switches in the kitchen.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If one of the switches has a red light it will be for your water heater. When you turn on the switch the red lamp will light untill your gas heater has sucessfully lit. If it comes on and stays on it indicates it did not light or shut off prematurely.
I'm guessing one breaker is the main (on the left) and the other is a sub if you have a Progressive Dynamics Control Center.
Any muffler shop that does their own bending can supply you with an off the shelf muffler as well as the proper adaptors and pipe. A friend once put a motorcycle muffler on his Pace Arrow w/6.5 Onan
Do you have one AC unit or two?
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Thanks guys for all the great info. I have alot of questions and its so nice to have this resource and all your guys help. Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt
If one of the switches has a red light it will be for your water heater. When you turn on the switch the red lamp will light untill your gas heater has sucessfully lit. If it comes on and stays on it indicates it did not light or shut off prematurely.
I'm guessing one breaker is the main (on the left) and the other is a sub if you have a Progressive Dynamics Control Center.
Any muffler shop that does their own bending can supply you with an off the shelf muffler as well as the proper adaptors and pipe. A friend once put a motorcycle muffler on his Pace Arrow w/6.5 Onan
Do you have one AC unit or two?
I only have one AC unit in this RV. So will power feed back to the generator when I'm plugged in a land line and the generator is off. Most home generator have a auto switch the prevents power from feeding back to the generator when land power is restored. Ive been looking for some kind of switch but hav
Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure how your rig is set up, but if you do NOT have to plug your shore power cord into the generator compartment to get gennie power (this was a common set up in older rigs) then you have an automatic transfer switch.

This means that when you are plugged into shore power, you can start the generator and (after a short warmup period) the generator will "take over" from the shore power.

The shore power will not "feed back" to the gennie, so you can safely remain plugged in- but not sure why you'd want to.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In your electrical power center (probably under the bed) there will be a contactor for gen and shore power. Progressive Dynamics directs current from shore power to the breakers through normally closed contacts. Starting the gen will activate the contactor and direct the current through N.O. contacts from the gen to the breakers.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Our 87 bounder has the very same breaker with red and green tags. The green if I remember is the rigs main power breaker, that trips all power goes off, the red is the air-conditioning breaker.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #10

Oh and if its the same as ours the switches in the kitchen then the left one is the water pump on off switch and the right one is the ignition switch for the Atwood water heater.

Have fun with your RV and ask away most if not all your questions can be answered here.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #11

Thanks again guys. Great info.

Tags
fleetwood, southwind