Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
I have bit off more than I can chew! RV project

Well I think it is time to throw in the towel. The honey is just not a feasible project now. Jojo thinks we can do it, but there are one too many projects now. The van front and frame are solid, but it will take more time and metal to make the reinforcement to build the RV I want. The motor and transmission are solid Chevy and have very little miles on it. I have had folks ask to make it into a flatbed for hauling their sand rail on and maybe I will just sell it. I have made $200 from recycling the body. The wood went to a guy with an outdoor furnace and I had around $1000 total invested in it. I guess I could get something out of the A/C unit, windows, water heater and the other RV internals. I need to focus on the classic seastar boat that is nearly done, and the Cherokee is almost roadable! I just turned 40 yesterday and I just want to get one project done soon.

tommygfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
There have been many impressive and successful restoration threads here - but fact is, UNLESS you have an overpowering interests in a specific year/model of RV requiring serious outlay of time and $$$ - best walk away!

Chances are, in most cases, a dedicated search for a similar RV could end up locating one in FAR better condition, and needing far less blood. sweat and tears!

We wanted a relatively inexpensive MH under 30 feet in length - and one that was well kept, needing minimal repairs and replacements for our use. We saw MANY so-called "jewels" - but actual inspection revealed they needed FAR more $$$ and effort than we wanted to pay - in our "golden years", we want to USE the MH, not spend the next several years getting it READY for use!

We eventually found our '88 Winnie 27 footer for $7000 - well kept and low miles, but even at that, it required another thousand dollars to bring it up to what we wanted, but basically so nice and solid we have NO regrets.

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Tommy,

I think you've made a "good call" there. I followed your other thread so I understand what you were looking at.

Finish up your other projects then find a nice older Class A coach that is foundationally sound (engine, chassis, coach shell) but maybe needs some TLC then redo it to you liking. That would make for an enjoyable project both in the doing and in the finished results.

Best of luck!
1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Takes a heck of a man to admit taking too big of a bite.

two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Sell the parts on your local CraigsList or, if you still want a project, slap them in a cargo trailer or schoolbus!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Don't remember what part of the country you are in but when you are ready to look again contact me if you want something from the area around Phoenix. I see lots of motorhomes around here for sale.
Would make a nice vacation in the winter, fly out and drive back.

You should still be able to salvage some of your money out of the project.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Thanks all but I think this one is going to haunt me. Iíve listed it in a few places, but there is no interest. I just canít sell the chassis/cab for nearly nothing [an offer I have gotten was $200] heck the motor is worth that if not a bit more. As far as the mechanicals most worked when torn down so Iíll take what I can get out of them, but shipping is way too expensive. If anyone sees anything of interest let me need. It is on the wheeling WV craigslist.
tommygfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
How the heck you get so smart at age 40?

mick is offline   Reply With Quote