Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

I have info on 86 Allegro (22-24ft ?)

My mother gave me her Allegro last year after my step dad passed away. I have fixed or updated just about every nut and bolt on the Allegro. Does your RV have the sprayed on foam underneath from the cab to the back bumper? Mine used to until I scraped it all off.

Being a Minnesota RV it was a mess underneath. I replaced the propane tank, all of brake lines, fuel lines, wiring etc etc. I replaced every belt, hose, spark plugs, injectors, replaced all the fluids etc on the motor. I took out the fuel tank black, grey and freshwater tanks and the Thetford toilet. I removed both rear dining table seats to access the furnace, fresh water tank and water pump on one side and the electric panel and generator electrical panel on the other side.

There is no refrigerator or hot water heater but I don't need them anyway. I can use an electric house water heater by cutting out a section in the middle and then weld the top back on to fit the compartment. I have done a complete rebuild of the gennie which is a Kohler with a Tecumseh TVM-140 engine. I replaced the relays, capacitors and wires on the roof A/C. I dismantled and checked the furnace for cracks and bee hives

I have the wiring diagrams of the A/C,generator, generator panel, the circuit breaker assembly and the Suburban furnace. I have the parts catalog for the Kohler generator, the Tecumseh engine and the Haynes Manual for the Chevy part of the Allegro.

When I saw how Tiffin Motorcoach installed the auxillary fuel line for the generator, I just shook my head and chuckled. They had taken a hammer and pounded a depression on the top side of the tank, drilled a 1/4 inch hole, inserted a piece of soft copper, then melted solder around and into the depression. For those that aren't aware (Tiffin) of the fact that SOLDER DOES NOT STICK TO A STEEL GAS TANK you have just been told.

I am a gearhead from way back in the day and I am very handy with mechanical and electrical issues. If you want any of the info I have or you just want to ask a question about an 86 Allegro motor home with a Chevy Astro 4.6 V6 engine with an auto tranny you can post it here or e-mail me at grampastentis@yahoo.com And I got 14.3 mpg from Minnesota to Montana driving at 70-75 MPH all the way back. At 60 MPH I should get maybe 16-17 mpg.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #2

Huge fan of those and the Tiger XL's.Do you know which rear end is in them??. Is it A 7.5 10 bolt??. What is the rear end gear ratio??. From what I have heard they don't have much of a towing capacity.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

What the heck happened here??. The O/P offered to answer questions and I asked and he show up MIA.Gezzzz.!!!.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

I'm not MIA

Sorry for the delay, I only check my e-mail a couple of times a week.

I didn't get into the rear end except for changing the gear oil. I drive it up into the mountains where I ride my dirt bike on weekends and I am going to check on changing the gearing because I have to pull it down another gear and get the rpm up to make the steep grades going from 4000 feet to 9000 feet. I am not sure if they put in a beefier rearend from the factory for the camper platform but I am going to check into all of my options. I will probably replace the rearend rather than change the gears in the pumpkin as I am not real knowlegable about shimming the gears for runout, gear meshing and endplay. I am too cheap to pay someone to do it for me so a swap is my plan.

On the way back from Minnesota I pulled it out of overdrive because the V-6 motor didn't have enough horse power to handle a headwind or any hills with a small grade. It ran great in drive all the way back at 70-75 mph, although the motor was running at a higher RPM I managed 14.5 mpg.

It's better for the motor to run at a higher rpm rather than lugging it in overdrive. For pulling a load I highly recommend going to a lower gear ratio and installing a tachometer which is what I'm going to do before next years camping season. For those of you who are not mechanicly inclined heres something to think about.

A car company claims a horse power rating of 200 horse power at 5000 rpm and the red line is at 6000 rpm. I won't go into horse power and torque curves so we will just assume that the horse power and rpm are linear. With a 3000 pound vehicle your pounds per horse power is 15 at 5000 rpm or you have 0.066 horse power per pound.

Now lets say you are in overdrive going down the freeway at 1800 rpm now you are producing 72 horsepower and your vehicle still weighs 3000 pounds. Now you have 0.024 horse power per pound or 41.66 pounds per horsepower. You have two options at this point, either make the vehicle lighter or increase the rpm's. With an automatic overdrive transmission your vehicle will be constantly shifting from overdrive to drive and back again which is hard on a motor and transmission.

That long handle on the right side of the steering wheel is called a "Gear Selector" and for most people they put it in drive, reverse or park without ever "selecting" a lower gear to run in when the engine and transmission are battling it out under your feet. People with manual transmissions are "selecting" gears every time they drive their vehicle. They certainly dont leave them in overdrive to get up a hill.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake with my math or my credibility just got trashed.

My wife and I are planning to trailer my street bike with the camper up into Canada next year so we can hit a moose on the motorcycle. I've already hit a deer so now I'm looking for the next big challenge. The motorcycle and the trailer weigh close to 950 pounds so we will see how a gearing change will work.

By the way, do you live in Rochester Minnesota or Rochester New York???
I grew up about forty miles from Rochester Minnesota on the Mississippi river in a town called Wabasha. Yes it's the one from the movie "Grumpy Old Men"
Old 07-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #5

I'm going to tell you what is common in Astro vans.Same base model."Most" have a 3.42 rear end gear that is 7.5 10 bolt.If you doing any towing or hilly driving alot of guys either swap in 3.72's or 4.10's.The 700R4's do not like heat at all.So to put on a aftermarket trans cooler is critical.If the trans is shifting from O/D to drive,it's telling you not to drive in O/D.It's recommended never to tow in overdrive with them.Well flat land it's your call,but to constantly check the tranny fluid would be a good idea.Along with a cooler,I suggest you install a trans temp gauge.The Astro's it's a one of a kind offset rear end.Likely the same in your rig.