Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #29

Jembluis,

From the pictures, it looks like you found a treasure.

Yes, old engines needed leaded fuel to prevent exhaust valve wear. But, starting with the 72MY, all the Mound Road (small block)engines and Trenton (big block) engines got the valve seats hardened to accommodate the loss of lead.

You know about the tires. If they are 16.5, start collection 16" rims with the correct offset and pilot. 16.5 tires are now only made by Firestone and are not easily available. You also have the issue I had with my Cayo/Dodge that the front and rear rims are different. If you lose one rear tire, you can afford to limp slowly a short distance.

And yes, all the rubber is probably over age.
The fuel lines need to be replaced because they will not tolerate alcohol in fuel.
The coolant lines and brake lines are just old - too old like the tires - maybe.

All the coolant, fuel and brake line work I recommended will only take about a week of evenings (if you are real new to this - maybe 2) and cost than than a couple hundred bucks in parts. The biggest pain will be letting the gas tank down to change out the rubber that is on top of the tank. If you have never dropped a fuel tank before, get a friend to help and plan to shoot a whole Saturday at this. If you don't do it, you will have trouble both leaking and drawing fuel. Use fuel line marked SAE J30-R14. Get a look before you start, you may just want to buy the 25'd spool.

I did mine both in the Cayo and the GMC. I never regretted doing it right.

Matt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jMEbluIS View Post
POST 26:
Some highlights for the curious:
"The plumbing all works great"... except the potable water tank leaks, so the owner doesn't use it.
"The furnace works great"... except it needs a new fan.
"That gas smell is nothing to worry about, the engine hasn't been run much in years."
"The tires will pass inspection." The tires were worn enough that I had trouble reading the DOT label, but I could see that the code ended in only 3 numbers. I couldn't recall exactly when the code switched to wwyy, but it was a long time ago.
And the biggest issue, the roof. To this guy "I replaced the roof" meant he added some self adhesive plastic sheets over the existing, leaky roof. There was lots of water damage in all the upper cabinets where you guys said to look.... with fresh paint on the spongy ply, wah wah wah.

So, it will be a while yet before I have an RV. Some day though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Jembluis,

From the pictures, it looks like you found a treasure.

Matt
Matt, looks like that 'treasure' is available, Jembluis took a pass on it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Matt, looks like that 'treasure' is available, Jembluis took a pass on it.
MattC I'll be happy to tell you where it is and give you the guy's number. I think the glass might be worth buying..... cause glass isn't damaged by water. :wink: I do really appreciate your advice, unfortunately the outside and inside do not match.
jMEbluIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #32

Jembluis,

I appreciate the thought, but thank you no.
One vintage/classic coach will do me for now.

Matt
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #33

Looks great, but I understand why you passed it up. Hope you find a great coach to make more memories!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I know the feeling I am restoring one to useable condition now. I am a Diesel Mechanic now working as a municipal driver now. But Carpentry just is not my thing. Thank god I have a carpenter friend who has now become hooked on working on older RV's. but mine was only $500. So I still have room to play to get to the asking price of the one you passed on. There are plenty out there , it took me years to get into a Motorhome . If I can find one so can you ! Maybe when mine is done I will sell it to you and start over again . LOL
74 Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 Shasta View Post
I know the feeling I am restoring one to useable condition now. I am a Diesel Mechanic now working as a municipal driver now. But Carpentry just is not my thing. Thank god I have a carpenter friend who has now become hooked on working on older RV's. but mine was only $500. So I still have room to play to get to the asking price of the one you passed on. There are plenty out there , it took me years to get into a Motorhome . If I can find one so can you ! Maybe when mine is done I will sell it to you and start over again . LOL
For some people the fun is in the fixing up, while for others the fun is in the using. I am lucky in that I enjoy both aspects.

Gerry
GerryKiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #36

I think I would have fun restoring an old coach as well as using it. This one just needed too much. Everything we looked at needed attention and I do mean everything. Jay didn't even have to go into depth checking out the engine. All of the plywood throughout was soft, from the floor on up. I may not know a lot about RV's, but wood I do know. I'd like something that could be used as is and then restored as I have time and money rather than playing catch up on things that should have been done years ago.
jMEbluIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #37

You have the right idea.

Gerry
GerryKiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jMEbluIS View Post
I think I would have fun restoring an old coach as well as using it. This one just needed too much. Everything we looked at needed attention and I do mean everything. Jay didn't even have to go into depth checking out the engine. All of the plywood throughout was soft, from the floor on up. I may not know a lot about RV's, but wood I do know. I'd like something that could be used as is and then restored as I have time and money rather than playing catch up on things that should have been done years ago.
I agree with you 100% I bought my project knowing full well that everything needed to be redone and still get surprises. I would love to just hop in and go but that will be a while yet, I did know however that if it were too far gone that it was a low cost vehicle that I could recoup my money by selling parts . Onan 4000 generator , roof top air ect.

I do hope you find one that suits your needs !

Ken
74 Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale