Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

I just fell in love - 1975 Minnie Winnie for sale

Today I drove by a 1975 Minnie Winnie when driving home on a back road. I think that it is an RB (rear bathroom) as the door to the living space is at the rear. This cutie has 63,000 miles and the owner is asking $1,800. Sign says "drives great" and "A/C works great." I am mightily tempted to buy it. I did a lot of traveling with my grandparents in their Jamboree of similar vintage and the nostalgia is strong. (I was not yet old enough to drive.) I'm a bit intimidated to drive a big RV, but this Minnie Winnie seems less scary (about 18' long I believe). If I call the owner for info what info should I be asking for? At this price should I expect that only the items advertised as working do so? I have a friend who is a mechanic and he certainly would take a look at the engine/drivetrain before any offer is made. Thanks much!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
What chassis and engine size . Look at the ceiling edges for water stains .
If you can do repairs your self this might be ok .

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the above poster, that age may have had water intrusion at some point in time. Also check the date codes on the tires, that could lead to a costly introduction into the RV world. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
I agree with the above poster, that age may have had water intrusion at some point in time. Also check the date codes on the tires, that could lead to a costly introduction into the RV world. Good luck.
I would be surprised if it didn't need tires .It would be nice to know what chassis it is on .
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Its a Dodge 360. (which would be a (m?)b-300) The guy isn't answering his phone or door. Peeking in the window it actually doesn't have the bathroom in the back, its on the side. If I can get in touch with the guy I'll look for water damage and check tire numbers. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #6

I recently met college professor who was travalling a couple thousand miles away from home in his 1973 GMC motorhome. It looked as if it had just been driven out of the showroom. I asked him:

"What's the secret?"

Reply:

1. "Having the tools; and
2. Knowing what to do with them!"
Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

The guy called back! He put on a new roof, ceiling, and a/c within the last few years! What do I look at to see if he did a good job? He was a little hard to understand on the phone, something about some of the tires are new, it will pass inspection... Will ask again in person and have my mechanic friend's opinion. He has the proper title but has not registered it in several years. Says we can "drive it around the yard" and the brakes may need bleeding. Any red flags to you guys yet? I really appreciate the help. Winston wants me to bring him home!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
You will probably have two buy a t least two tires . If you are handy this might be alright . If you can't fix anything yourself ,maybe not .that was a good unit back then .only you can decide .
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excell View Post
You will probably have two buy a t least two tires . If you are handy this might be alright . If you can't fix anything yourself ,maybe not .that was a good unit back then .only you can decide .
I think you have fallen in love, I wonder if anything we say will change your mind. Go for it and atleast it will be a low $$$$ loss if there is a major issue. It could be a fun project and a good step into our world. Post some pictures, so we have a look at your new hobby.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

I can definitely change tires. I have a friend who can work on the engine and we might be able to trade work. I'm definitely up to working on the interior. I used to be a furniture maker so refinishing the interior sounds exciting. With advice I think I can tackle equipment repairs. I'm not making a decision until my friend checks out the van. If I can run it locally as is for now I'd be in. If it needs $2k immediately I think I'll pass.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Here's one more thing I'm thinking about before making a decision. What sort of annual maintenance should I expect to do every year? Is there much that needs to be done to get ready for winter? I'm assuming I need to keep the roof clear of snow? I was too young to do that chore set with my grandfather with his Jamboree. I do not have an indoor space to store the RV for the winter. The Jamboree was spoiled, my grandparents built an addition to their garage just for the RV. They called it the "the motor home pit." :-)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

Brakes normally dont need bleed unless a part has been changed. You may need some brake work or lines on it.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Yeah, I had some trouble hearing the guy over the phone. Seemed like he was saying the brakes might need attention since it hasn't been in the road recently. (Which I follow for the e-brake) I'll get the story again in person on the brakes. I'm bringing a mechanic friend and he will check everything out. I'm hoping there's nothing worse than a bad line going on. The guy has done some work on the RV, so hopefully his work will pass muster with my mechanic friend.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
He put on a new roof, ceiling, and a/c within the last few years!
That indicates past water leakage issues - if repair was properly done, and ALL adjacent unseen areas repaired as necessary, might be OK - but if only visible EXTERNAL areas repaired, potential future issues...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale