Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

I received no replies

I posted this in another site but received no answer; perhaps someone here can help me.
I have a dometic with a heat strip; in the heat position the heat comes out ok; turn the thermostat down (cooler) till it clicked, the heat still comes out, is this normal? The colemam air I had before; the heat would quite comming out, when I turned the thermostat down.
thanks for any reply

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only specific models of the Dometic roof top units are set up to have the thermostat control the heat as well as A/C. Check the manual on your unit and it should tell you if you model will also control the heat....Mine won't.

Ken

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Only specific models of the Dometic roof top units are set up to have the thermostat control the heat as well as A/C. Check the manual on your unit and it should tell you if you model will also control the heat....Mine won't.

Ken
It's beginning to look like this one won't won't either; dang; the coleman I had before would and it worked great, it's a darn shame; i paid more for the dometic thinking i was getting a better air conditioner. looks like I made a $1000 mistake to me.

I'ts kind of odd that when I turn the temperture control down to cooler and it clicks, the heat still comes out but not as much as it was when the temperature is turned up to warmer.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Since it is a heat strip (not a heat pump model) it would seem that a person familiar with wireing could put in a line voltage thermostat between the power source to the strip and the strip itself.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Since it is a heat strip (not a heat pump model) it would seem that a person familiar with wireing could put in a line voltage thermostat between the power source to the strip and the strip itself.
when I get some free time thats just what I'll do.
been working with electric all my life and would be a piece of cake.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

We have the Dometic roof A/C with optional heater strip as well - the heat strip is only on when controls are set for that function - but while the heat strip is a nice feature in general, it's really quite low in wattage - about 750 as I recall, the blower itself draws nearly as much wattage as the heat strip - and the fan noise is pretty high for so low a performance.

The heater itself is actually only suitable for moderately cool temps - not nearly efficient for really cold weather - and yeah - that's what the forced air heater is there for - but for the overall current draw and heat output of the Dometic unit, a small free-standing 120 volt ac 1500 watt "heat cube" is FAR more quiet and efficient, and easily placed out of the way in tighter RV floor plans. A single 1500 watt "heat cube" type heater warms our 27 foot Winnebago class A quite nicely under the usual colder temps we encounter - rarely need the extra heat from the forced air furnace.

This info may not help the original poster - but is intended as a sidebar for those interested in what the efficiency is on the heat bar option in these older Dometic A/C's.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #7

I guess what has me ticked at domitic is the fact that coleman air with the heat strip the temp control works to control the heat; granted it only produces a little heat but at least it doesn't keep heating if the motorhome is warm. if the temp goes up the domitic keeps on putting out heat no matter how warm it is. boo hiss on domitic; for a few more cents they could have hooked up the thermostat. I will never buy a domitic again just for that reason.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I will never buy a domitic again just for that reason.
I don't think there is any other choice is there?

Carrier just announced they are leaving the RV business.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I don't think there is any other choice is there?

Carrier just announced they are leaving the RV business.
Yes--- Coleman read my previous post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had to replace the 28 year old Dometic 2 years ago and got a new Dometic Brisk Air. It is a piece of junk compared to the old unit. Noisy and I had to tape all of the internal air passages...lots of leaks. The condenser fan motor freezes up if it set for more than about 3 weeks. You have to get up top, push the fan and then it will start up OK.

The dealers will only "lube" the motor.

Dometic is not what it was a few years ago. I'd go with any other brand.

Ken
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We had to replace the 28 year old Dometic 2 years ago and got a new Dometic Brisk Air. It is a piece of junk compared to the old unit. Noisy and I had to tape all of the internal air passages...lots of leaks. The condenser fan motor freezes up if it set for more than about 3 weeks. You have to get up top, push the fan and then it will start up OK.

The dealers will only "lube" the motor.

Dometic is not what it was a few years ago. I'd go with any other brand.

Ken
agreed--- I had a dometic on one of my previous motorhomes'; it was a whole lot better than the one I have now.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Robert to you have your thermostat fan set to auto? If I dont set the fan to auto the fan will continue to blow as long as the heat pump is on.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The older Dometics where more than likely made in USA and the new ones many many miles and over several oceans.

jDavid is offline   Reply With Quote