Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

Arrow I Want to Remodel

As many of you are already aware, my kids and I decided at the start of this summer to embrace living minimally with the end goal of traveling the country next summer. This summer we stayed relatively local within Florida. The summer came with quite the learning curve but overall we had an enjoyable time. I am a teacher and work and school has begun again so for now we are parked and I would like to begin working on this ancient rig of mine but I am at a loss of where to begin, what changes to make, if said changes are even possible. I have considered hiring help, doing it myself, and somewhere in between but I do not know anyone willing to help, I do not own my own tools needed to make repairs and reconstruct new ideas.

I already made some repairs and repainted the inside. I ripped up the carpet and there is a soft spot in one part of the flooring. After spending the summer full time RVing, I have also learned there is some water damage but it doesn't seem to be current or major. I have also resealed everything although I did not make it a pretty job.

So I am wondering, what would you do? We were going to just upgrade but after reading through that other thread vintage vs. new, I think we have decided to invest in our 1989 Coachmen Class C with under 60K miles. Some things I want to change or replace...
I want to do away with the conventional toilet and put in a composting toilet.
I need to have our generator serviced and possibly the regulator replaced as it is no longer working. Most of you are aware just about everything broke over the summer.
The back bedroom in this unit is divided, a twin bed on each side, which is rare. It works for now but I would really like to put in a desk somewhere for my son however one side under the bed is for the water heater and the other side houses storage.
The flooring needs to be replaced, I have already ripped out the carpet and laid down flooring but that flooring was a bad purchase, it was a cheap click together that did not perform as promised.
I need to replace the couch
The stove works but the cover has rust and I would like to repair that, maybe repaint stove.
The fridge may eventually give out and need to be replaced as will the A/C
The kitchen counter top area needs to be replaced, cheap particle wood has seen better days. I would also like to see if there is a way to extend the counter for more space.

On the outside:
I want to replace the corner weather stripping all the way around.
Windows will eventually need to be replaced
I would love an outdoor cooking set up somehow
I would like to replace the entire awning system with something updated
I want to repaint the outside...myself

Like I said, I do not have the tools or space or knowledge but I want to partake in the process. Maybe there is someone fairly local willing to help me take on a project. I am ready to learn...I already learned how to fix the multitude of leaks via plumbing and such.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Great to hear you are still around.
The first thing I would do is prioritize the list. The way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Decide what needs done soon versus what can be deferred.

Things like the A/C, if still serviceable, give it a good tune up and keep on using it. Clean both coils thoroughly, oil the motor, and install a start capacitor; chances are you can squeeze a couple more years out of it.

You mention window replacement. If they're in a declining state, you can find the parts to refurbish them for a fraction of the cost of replacement.

The soft spot in the floor is a case for more immediate attention. The floor system is a "sandwich" of materials laminated together. The soft spot can lead to the delamination of materials and thus require more extensive repairs in the future.

The stove is relatively easy to remove. I am currently rebuilding a 1987 Class A and the stove is in similar condition. I will be sanding it then painting with a heat tolerant appliance paint. Only elbow grease, a little sandpaper and steel wool, and a rattle can of paint required.

You can purchase laminate countertop at the local big box stores, and with careful measurements and a steady hand, replace the countertops without too much expense.

Where in Florida are you? I am in North Central Florida between Gainesville and Jacksonville.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

The best advise I can give is know when to stop. It is a 1989 class C, don't put more money in it then it is worth. Without tools it will be tough. First and foremost make sure the outside is totally sealed and no longer allowing any damage. Fix the soft spot in the floor and install new flooring. Get something that will hold up, but you don't have to spend a fortune. It cost about $400.00 to do my 33 foot DP from Lowes with vinyl planking. Start out with a level floor and read and follow the instructions. Don't replace what's not broken unless you are sure it soon will be broken. Take baby steps, it will be a lot of work. The more you expand your skills and tools the more you can customize it to your needs.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I agree with crb478. I also suggest that whatever project you start finish it before you start another. You have one heck of a to do list just take your time. Use this website to ask for help on how to do things you'll get many good answers YouTube has videos.
Buy some basic tools. Some hardware stores rent the more expensive tools that you only need once or twice instead of buying them
Take before and after pictures and posts them so we can see your progress. It will be a lot of work but also very rewarding as you learn and finish each project

Good luck have fun keep us updated
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #5

Hello, I'm in Volusia about a half hour from Daytona Beach.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #6

I just bought an Rockwell oscillating saw. It works great for cutting/scraping & sanding things in the motorhome.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sometimes becomes a Pandora's box. Mine started as a reseal that ended up being a 6 month rebuild.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

Wow!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
It sometimes becomes a Pandora's box. Mine started as a reseal that ended up being a 6 month rebuild.

Yep, that's how a lot of these things come about.
How's it going?
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel