Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Idle won't kick Off/Down

This is a first, The 454 has always kicked off high idle after a few minutes after starting. This last trip I tried to kick it down and had no luck. I drove the 90 miles back home and it was still on high idle.
I checked all the vacuum lines @ the Carb and all are attached. Evey thing seems to be clear and moves freely.
I tried Sea Foam in the 70 gallon tank and Lucas carb/injector cleaner in the 30 gallon tank after filling the tanks. I have drove her around a good 100 miles yesterday (50 miles each tank) and she still won't kick down.
Any Ideas? Thanks in advance,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar problem when replacing the vacuum lines on my old 454, I found that I had ever so slightly knock off a vacuum like 'hub' loose. It was were 5-6 lines went into a 2x2" plug in font of the carb next to the air pump so it was hard to see. That fixed my problem, being a 1982 I don't know if you would have something like that or not, good luck and I hope someone can be more helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
An old trick to look for vacuum leaks is to spray WD40 at the vac hoses, fittings. base of carb, etc. If the idle changes, there's your leak. Is the electric choke hooked up?

Also possible that your accelerator cable is binding a little. After the engine has warmed up, turn it off and pull off the air filter; the cable is probably on the left side of your Quadrajet. Pop the little clip off the carb end and start the engine; remove the accelerator cable from the carb- if the idle drops, you have a sticky cable. Spray the WD40 all along the vac lines (they can have cracks) at each vac fitting and around the base of the carb. Check condition of the electrical fitting on the choke and check that it has power.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll try you suggestion, Yes The engine is a virgin only thing done to it was spark plug's and new plug wires, a few years ago, otherwise she purrs like a 454 should run.
Thanks for the idea,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you haven't ever replaced the vacuum lines, its not a bad idea. Rubber has a limited life expectancy.

Do you have a vacuum gauge/econometer on your dash?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I'll try you suggestion, Yes The engine is a virgin only thing done to it was spark plug's and new plug wires, a few years ago, otherwise she purrs like a 454 should run.
Thanks for the idea,
Tim
Hey Tim , when we first got our unit, the guy delivered it to our house and it was idling way high, when he shut it off it would diesel so to get it off you had to shut it off in gear! I found the electric choke was not working so I wired the choke open and it was fine, just had to pump the gas to get it running smooth. Also check the advance on the distributor, on mine the vacuum advance was frozen, if it freezes in the advanced position it will raise the idle too. If it is the choke I haven't found one yet in the parts stores but have seen them on ebay. About $20 bucks, just make sure you get the right oneif that is the case. As far as the vacuum advance, I replaced it with a adjustable one from Crane Cams , got it at the speed shop, but they are cheaper on ebay. Just put it on ,didn't do any adjusting but it runs great so we'll see. open the top of the air cleaner when cold, step on the gas once and see if the choke closes, if it does then see if it is opening all the way, as there is a interlink from the choke to the throttle that moves the fast idle cam, mine would open like halfway but not enough to get it off fast idle! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Sprtiz,

You need to get on top of the engine.
On a Rochester Quad, there are two things that open the choke.
One is the vacuum pot that will pull it back after starting.
The other is a thermo-spring that is heated by a choke heater that is often in the heat riser of the manifold.

Even if the all the rubber line to the vacuum pot is gone (and it may well be), the thermal choke pull-off should have pulled the engine off high idle.

You will have to get in there (or pay someone) and look at what is wrong. If the choke is not opening, you fuel mileage will suffer greatly and it is not good for the engine.

Matt
Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

Had that problem on my "90" it was the electric choke coil.
I replaced it in 09. The part was a Hygrade #CV 319
Looked similar to this Standard Hygrade CV329 Choke Thermostat New in Box | eBay
Mine is mounted on the side of the carb
Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

I believe there were 3 rivets holding it on and I had to put screws in place of them. I tried removing the corrosion from the printed circuit board coil but that didn't work.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #10

i agree the bi metal spring needs looked at i replaced mine with a electric one tim pm me if needed
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

idle monster

Best mod I ever did.....i mean....my friend did on his.....
was a blocking plate under the egr......1 tiny chunk of carbon makes a vac leak at lower rpm. Also made my hill climbing ALOT better........
Make it easy to remove if you live in a emisions test state.
2 bolts.....flat metal plate over the hole.......done.
Removing or altering emisions equipment is not leagal or recommended......
mattsezz is offline   Reply With Quote