Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #1

I'm looking for Solar Expert that can talk plan English

I want to take my Generator out and replace it with a battery bank that will supply all my elect needs and a solar array that will keep everything charged up with out shore power. I understand the sun needs to be shinning! But can you give me a list of items and even links to such things that I need to make this happen?

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not ditch the generator. Go to RV Solar Electric Store for a start. Also Phrannie.org has good info. Do a search on this site.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Go to this thread:

Solar That Really Works
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I want to take my Generator out and replace it with a battery bank that will supply all my elect needs and a solar array that will keep everything charged up with out shore power. I understand the sun needs to be shinning! But can you give me a list of items and even links to such things that I need to make this happen?

Thanks in advance

Handybob's blog is a great place to start.

I'm in the research phase myself, and have done a lot of homework. Some folks here seem to believe that unless you HAVE a solar system, you're not qualified to give advice about them. I'll leave it at that.

Handybob has nothing to sell, and gives you straight forward advice about how to size your system to your needs without breaking the bank.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks in advance
I'm sure most would like to have this setup, but you are sure talking big bucks. If you rid yourself of a genny, you just lost your AC unit(s). The largest RV inverter I've heard of is 3000w, which may run one, but not much else and they are $2000. You then would need a large battery bank to keep sufficient reserve for those cloudy days of course. As you get into this, you may find your roof isn't large enough to properly do what you want. So, you may have to add a ground array or two to make it all work.

If you are doing this to save on an electric bill, you will soon find it will take 7-10 years to pay for itself. if you are doing it for green reasons or because shore power availability and you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, you should be able to accomplish this. I know a lot about solar, but don't consider myself an expert, so I suggest as previously mentioned:

HandyBob's Blog

Please keep us posted on your project as many on here have contemplated similar projects.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks in advance
In keeping with your request, the answer is SURE.

To do what you want to do, install as many solar panels as you can. Installation can be on the roof, and/or covering windows which when tilted can act as sun shades in addition to providing power.

Now get a good solar controller with MPPT technology, and big enough for the amount of of amperage your panels are capable of on the best of days. I use Blue Sky myself.

Purchase 6 to 8 true deep cycle battery's (golf cart 6 volt) and install.

Now wire the panels in series/parallel manner in at least 24 volt configuration, and maybe up to 60 volt depending on the controller capability, and connect wire's to a combiner box, but not to the controller yet.

Run heavy (as required) cable from controller to the battery box, to the battery's, and then, and only then connect wiring from that combiner box to the controller.

The MPPT controller will automatically recognize whatever voltage you wired the panels, and change it to match the voltage of the battery's, which need to be less, or equal to the voltage from the panels. The majority of people go from 24 to 48 volts panels to 12 volt battery bank.

Done, now you can study, and make it more elaborate, if desired. Oh yes, be sure to input in in-line fuse's on all length's of positive (red) cable/wiring.

That's it in a nutshell.

Ed
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #7

The first step has to be figuring out how large a solar array you need. Add up the current draw of everything that you expect to be using and multiply by the anticipated daily hours of use. As an example, say you will need 250 amp-hours per day. Multiply by 13.4 (typical battery voltage) and come up with a need of 3,350 watt-hours per day. If you are lucky, you might average 10 useful charging hours per day, so divide by 10 and find that you need at least a 335 watt solar array.

Your next step is to see if you can find that large an array that will fit on your roof. That might not be possible. You can figure about 8 square feet per 100 watts. If you want to get full rated power out your array, you will need good sun and your array will need to be tilted so that it is aimed at the sun. If you don't know which direction you will park, you have two choices. An adjustable mount that you can aim in any direction is best, but is often not practical. The other option is to mount it flat and increase the size of your array by about 25%. You are now up to about 420 watts.

Now, what will you do when you get a couple of cloudy days in a row? You are able to understand why few RVers are able to completely rely on solar for all of their electric needs.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar