Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm out of good ideas

After fighting a 'leak' in our class C for the past few years that comes and goes, it turns out that it's not a leak after all.
What I have found out is that it is condensation freezing on the inside of the roof on the fiberglass cabover. Looks like it's freezing at night, then during the day when temps come up inside it's thawing and dripping onto the ceiling right at the jointline. It appears to be all over then when it thaws it runs to the lowest point in the middle.
I have a few ideas as to how to prevent this, but they are just guesses and I thought maybe someone here had encountered it before and might have a good solid fix for it.
Years ago I rented an old house trailer that the owner had added insulation to the roof. We had the exact same problem and I always thought it was due to lack of air circulation.
Am I on the right track here?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

Only thing I can think of that would help is to add a dehumidifier to the RV.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #3

I added insulation and stopped the prob in ours.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Only thing I can think of that would help is to add a dehumidifier to the RV.
That's one option, but it may or may not have a constant power supply to run it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I added insulation and stopped the prob in ours.
This is what I have been kind of kicking around, question is; how to insulate it?
I've thought about trying that spray foam stuff and maybe it will also form a vapor barrier. Of course, I'd have to find the closed cell type, like they use for boat floatation to keep it from absorbing water.
I'm just not sure how even a layer I can get sprayed on there. I would think a couple of inches would be more than enough.
Well, I'm not going to rush into this, I'll wait and see what other ideas pop up. All good ideas so far, thanks! Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Use some "foam friendly" contact cement to glue some some sort of foam up there? Maybe some of that foam backed vinyl headliner?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Use some "foam friendly" contact cement to glue some some sort of foam up there? Maybe some of that foam backed vinyl headliner?
That's another good idea I hadn't really thought of!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Could you use those pink sheets and build a "sub-ceiling" so-to-speak? You'd lose a little headroom but an inch at the most if you put luan over it.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
KIX

Go online to a marine store like West Marine. They sell a "dehumidifier" that is basically a pail that the contents of the pail absorb moisture from the air. No power needed. Sorry but I can't remember the brand name.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Adding insulation wouldn't take away any headroom, there is actually about 3 1/2 of dead air space above the headliner.
That's mostly why I don't think a dehumidifier would do much good, that area is basically sealed up from the rest of the coach.

KIX- I know the stuff you are talking about, but I'm looking for more of a permanent solution because this is a recurring problem.

Os I have determined I need to either:

A- Insulate to keep frost from forming on the inside between the layers or

B- Vent, or get some sort of air moving up there to remove the moisture after it has formed.

Ultimately, I think I may end up doing both, there is a lot of moisture up there during wild temperature swings.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
But if you dehumidify enough, will there be any moisture up there to frost over ?

I agree you'd be best served as a combination of changes...
keep the moisture down by venting when water is running - shower, washer/dryer, cooking..... etc.. even your breathing does it so stop that !

and dehumidify all other times as the propane heat adds moisture...

AND moderate the temp changes on the ceiling by insulating and separating the cold skin from the warm air...

I like the idea of a spray on thermocell type insulator, but probably can't do it when it's cold :(

but what do I know - sitting here in shorts and it's 79 outside
good luck !
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #11

To prepare the rig for winter I opened a window on each side (just a crack) to allow some air to flow thru and help keep the interior from warming up in the sun. I also put a bucket of the "damp-rid" in the rig. Seems to be working so far. LG
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try something like Dynamat sound insulation that is used in vehicles to block sound. It would also insulate and keep the warm moist inside air from reaching the cold metal skin and causing condensation. Then maybe a 12v fan to move the air around inside the problem area.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #13

Ron may be onto something in suggesting that only a thin layer of insulating material will eliminate the condensation. Our house basement / family room has low cost, single pane windows that used to have condensation in the winter. I recently added some window "tint" plastic to provide some privacy, and the condensation is gone. The plastic is a very thin material that is spread onto the glass with a squeegy and some soapy fluid. I'm not suggesting you use this material, merely offering it as an example of how it eliminated condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
You might try something like Dynamat sound insulation that is used in vehicles to block sound. It would also insulate and keep the warm moist inside air from reaching the cold metal skin and causing condensation. Then maybe a 12v fan to move the air around inside the problem area.

ronspradley
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #14

I keep ez dry crystals in my rig - opening the windows when stored would work as well.

If you determined to place insulation in there I don't see why a layer of sd insulating material wouldn't work - use what's easy to apply - see if it resolves the problem before buttoning everything back up.