Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Inflated Value of Older Motorhomes

I am going to buy a older RV and have found a couple of motorhomes I like. I have noticed that in general most of the older motorhomes for sale are priced way more then the nada value. Why is this? The 1995 Southwind Storm is priced $4000 more then nada. And the 1994 Tropical is priced $5000 more then the nada.
NADA has a long list of options to add on to the base price, but most this RV's came equipped with most of these options. I would think that options like air, furnace, microwave, refridge, stove, and many other little items would have come on the motorhome when new. Are there any other sources I could use to get the true value of these older motorhomes? Thanks for your help.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NADA is a guide only, and often not a very good one. Especially for older RV's where condition is king. An internet search of what similar RVs are going for is the best way to gauge value.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #3

People give a value to there RV's often based on the enjoyment they have receive, and their knowledge or perception of the "exellent" care they have given their rig.
Ultimately the price will become based on what the buyer is willing to pay. If the seller cannot gain their price they will either have to reduce their price or keep their rig for a few more years.
Good luck with your shopping.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

Once you get into significantly older motorhomes, NADA isn't useful, because, in the end, you wouldn't want to buy anything that was "average 20 year old condition." Such a motorhome would likely be...well... a project. So pretty much every motorhome you likely want to buy is in exceptional condition compared to the baseline of "20 years old" and therefore, the average NADA ends up going out the window.

Also, as others have alluded to, NADA isn't particularly good, period.

Your best best is simple. Keep looking for motorhomes for sale and you'll see which ones in what condition sell quickly, and which do not.

I don't know the NADA for the two motorhomes you cited, but I'm guessing it's in the $4,500 range -- so you are saying they want just around $10,000 for them, which doesn't surprise me. I had little issue selling my 1991 no-slide gasser in that price range about a year ago (but I also had extensive maintenance history and was in nice shape).

Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

The real questions are how much is the MH worth to you, and what have you seen to compare it to? If the MH is in great shape, relatively fresh tires, decent paint, good maintenance records, no signs of leaks, all appliances and services work, doesn't smell of tobacco or animals then you may actually have a good deal on your hands.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #6

Went thru the same thing last year when I up graded, Sold a '97, 34' , 29k miles Southwind.
DW is as annal as with cleaning as I am about matinance.
If your first goal is to buy cheap rather than pay for long term value,be prepared to keep the check book out, your gonna need it.
A good rule that I used is look at Craigs list regularlty and keep notes on asking price. Also sign up for notiifications from ebay, and oodle. Set the criteria, age, size, gas/diesel etc.Watch for month or two and you will soon see a pattern for what they sell for. You'll notice a pattern as to about what they are worth.Those that are to high will be relisted over again and will be relisted at a lower price, probably around actual value. I had an exceptional one I thought and held out for my price, which was about 6k over NADA. Many that looked brought up NADA and I wished them the best of luck. If they don't come, they are wasting your time. Discussing price over the phone is a waste of time. None of the women ever showed up. Often asked, Whats your best price? My response was about 4k over what I had it listed for but was willing to settle for less. You will find nice older riggs that are good value, the prevailing attitude seems to be if its older the seller is desperate to sell, There are many that would just keep it, and can afford to have 2 vehicle's. Nada not withstanding. Not a clue where they get their prices as I would guess the bulk of the units sold are private sales.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #7

I know some folks that over-financed, they are underwater on the rig. Fellow I know asking an extra 4000 just cuz he needs to pay it off. He will never get it, so he keeps paying on it.
Yes, nada is junk when it comes to RVs.

Best of luck
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Saw a 99 Triple E ,Class A V10 ,without a Slide advertised for $26,000 recently. NADA price on the rig was $10,000 ! Now that is a huge difference in price.

Yes the coach is in Wonderful Condition but not so wonderful to prompt Me to consider it at $16,000 over the NADA price .

I might have offered to pay $12,~14,000 for it ,certainly not even close to the asking price
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Saw a 99 Triple E ,Class A V10 ,without a Slide advertised for $26,000 recently. NADA price on the rig was $10,000 ! Now that is a huge difference in price.

Yes the coach is in Wonderful Condition but not so wonderful to prompt Me to consider it at $16,000 over the NADA price .

I might have offered to pay $12,~14,000 for it ,certainly not even close to the asking price
Um if you were offering more than NADA... its safe to say that the value might be understated.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Agree that NADA is practically worthless on older rigs. I sold my 95 Holiday Rambler early last year for $15,000 which was about $6,000 over the NADA price. It was nice, clean and road-ready.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

I found this a rather interesting site listing Motor Homes for sale:

Used RVs at RV Online® Used RVs, Used Motorhomes, RVs, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RV's

You can bring up listings by Size, Price, or Location

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #12

repairs and upgrades have a lot to do with price my class c has a newer engine and trans, seven new tires new toilet,mattresses,range hood,fuel tank and pump,etc it doesn't list for but around $1000.
I would not consider anything less then $5000 for it because we can start it and go anywhere we want anytime just add fuel.
as stated earlier condition drives price and older in great condition beats newer needing repairs any time
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #13

NADA is worthless to me except to allow for comparative shopping. As others said here, some folks need to get a certain payoff, or they have some inflated sense of value they put into their older RV making them think they'll get a ridiculously high price. And, some older RVs fall into certain price categories for nostalgic reasons or a cult following.

Regardless, I believe the old maxim of supply and demand is what determines the value of a particular unit, to the buyer. If in high demand and low supply, then the seller controls the price, to a point. Then potential buyers determine the selling point.

A case in point (not RV but close to it) is 1998-2003 Ford F350 duallies with the infamous 7.3 diesel motor. They are high demand and current asking prices for them are ridiculously high. Compare that to 2003-2007 F350s with similar features but the 6.0 motor. Because of that motor's reputation (and I don't want to start that fight here), private and dealer sellers have a tough time selling them. Again, it's a supply and demand thing.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #14

I would like to thank you for your replies. I have been doing a search of the asking price of other similar motorhomes. I think this is giving me a better idea of the true market value. I'm just thankful that I'm not relying on a bank loan that the banks bases value on NADA for the loan.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote