Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #15

If fuel quality is your concern, just fill up with non-ethanol fuel before storing it, a quick search on google maps shows a bunch of stations that sell it in your area. If you want the better mileage, reliability, power that fuel injection offers, it's not that hard if you like to tinker, here, similar engine...

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...m/carb-to-efi/
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #16

carbed

Mine sets for about 6 months at a time. Never had the carb "gum" up. I put stabil in it or seafoam and top off the fuel tank. I also had my carb rebuilt by a local guy that knows Q-jets. With headers and a recurved distributor I typically get 8 miles to the gallon. Like one of the other posters said if you break down and have to have someone else look at it there're gonna say WTH?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #17

That might be my next project in a 70s Winnebago. Either an 8.1/4L80 or 6.0/4L80 depending on RV size.
Here's an interesting example:
Blog - Hot Rod RV - Ringbrothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I was going to suggest he just do an LS swap.
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
FAST is one of the easiest systems and their tech support is outstanding!

Electronic Fuel Injection Leader - FAST® - Fuel Air Spark Technology Fuelairspark.com
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
carb to EFI

sounds like the main issue is non use of the motorhome.. todays crap fuel is too blame. my 86 F250 tow truck had 750,000 on original motor on propane..i took it off propane in 03 and put a new carb and fuel pump on it. and retired it to the farm, within a year of running unleaded gas, i had to rebuild the carb due to it sitting most of the time. so started using premium gas..no more issues..it sits for 6 months and fires right up.
so get a new carb or have it rebuilt. then start using premium ? or at least put premium in it just before you park it ! i had a 47 Mercury that had original flat head motor.i worked on it for 15 yrs with the same tank of premium.never left the yard.always started..i sold it to a friend who put this new chit gas in it and i had to rebuild the carb within 2 yrs..hes back to premium!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #20

Well it turns out this conversation is moot. Saw the rv on ebay and the first time it did not sell for $4900 and the second time it was 3200 and did not sell. I called a inspector out there and was going to set up a inspection but wanted to know the bottom line before I did that and the dealer says $9900. I think he's smoking that funny stuff.
Bottom line I learned a lot and thanks to everyone.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
That might be my next project in a 70s Winnebago. Either an 8.1/4L80 or 6.0/4L80 depending on RV size.
Here's an interesting example:
Blog - Hot Rod RV - Ringbrothers
I would've done a few things different there but they had the right idea. Personally I'd want some boost. I also wouldn't have thrown all those MSD parts at it.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #22

Google Ring Brothers Winnebago. The 2nd version is supercharged.

Quote:
I would've done a few things different there but they had the right idea. Personally I'd want some boost. I also wouldn't have thrown all those MSD parts at it.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Would it make sense to add a fuel shut off somewhere and then when you park it simply run the engine until it 'runs out of gas' ?
It seems to me (I'm NOT a mechanic) that would solve the issue of the carb gumming up and likely cost much less money than an EFI change over.

Edit: I see the point has become moot. Oh well...
Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
Mine sets for about 6 months at a time. Never had the carb "gum" up. I put stabil in it or seafoam and top off the fuel tank. I also had my carb rebuilt by a local guy that knows Q-jets. With headers and a recurved distributor I typically get 8 miles to the gallon. Like one of the other posters said if you break down and have to have someone else look at it there're gonna say WTH?
I would say we are getting very close to the time when the mechanic opens the hood, sees a carburetor and says...."what is that"? Fewer and fewer are doing the carbs every day.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
carb versus FI

friend of mine just bought a beauitiful one owner 95 26 ft class a 56,000 kms on FI 454-,he changed the tires, plugs.filters.oils. and headed south to Texas last week..averaging 8 mpg. and Paid $4500 for the unit. another $3000 to make it road ready..theres lots like that without going to overpriced dealers
he said the seller always used premium gas in it.and he is too.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys 68 View Post
Google Ring Brothers Winnebago. The 2nd version is supercharged.
yeah....that's more like it. I was actually thinking 408 too. That would be a pretty stout combo and very reliable also if you keep that boost down. They have to be rocking some serious boost on that to get 900 out of it.
I've kinda been looking at when I get a new truck is skipping the diesel next time around and going 6.2 with a couple turbo's on it. My 5er only weighs 10k so it would fall in line with new 1500 trucks towing wise and 6lbs or so of boost would yank that thing around no problem. I'm just not a fan of what I'm reading about the cp4 pumps on the new duramax trucks.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #27

Lots of happy drivers with supercharged and turbo LS motors over at LS1tech.
Definitely consider one of supercharger kits for the trucks. They're pretty much a bolt on with reprogramming included.
I've been looking to add one under the hood of my LS powered 72 Olds.

Quote:
yeah....that's more like it. I was actually thinking 408 too. That would be a pretty stout combo and very reliable also if you keep that boost down. They have to be rocking some serious boost on that to get 900 out of it.
I've kinda been looking at when I get a new truck is skipping the diesel next time around and going 6.2 with a couple turbo's on it. My 5er only weighs 10k so it would fall in line with new 1500 trucks towing wise and 6lbs or so of boost would yank that thing around no problem. I'm just not a fan of what I'm reading about the cp4 pumps on the new duramax trucks.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #28

I have a heads/cam 98 fbody. My brother has a vortec 06 GTO. No stranger to the LS motors.

I got about anther half second out of the car since this but this was against my buddy in his heads/cam c5 back in 08
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Tags
engine