Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interior celing material

I'm giving consideration to removing the interior ceiling as it has been wet at one time. Roof has been sealed and the leaks appear to be gone so now I'd like to replace the damaged areas. Does anyone have any leads as to where I can order the material to make new ceiling panels ?

Are there any photo or video's that give a little guidance ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #2

You may not be able to match up the origional ceiling material depending on how old your rv is, you can get panels with very similar finishes though. I have done several of my campers and am now in the process of replacing them in my MH. The factory builds the roof section with the ceiling panels glued on prior to installing it on the rv. Once the roof is on the walls and cabnets are nailed in place from the top before insulating and installing the roofing.....You can remove the whole roof and replace the paneling and insulation etc, it is a big job but will give you the best results when finished.......You can also just carefully cut around the cabnets and pull down the sections you want to replace measure and cut new panels to fit in the area and trim around the edges after everything is up, this is still not really an easy job but looks good if you take your time...
You can order the paneling an trim at any home depot or similar stores. It can also be ordered from any rv dealer but be prepaired to pay at least double. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are two types of vinyl finished paneling, one is pressboard and the other is wood backed.....DO NOT BUY THE PRESSBOARD BACKED PANELING............not only will it absorb moisture like a sponge but it will literally fall off the ceiling. Buy the wood backed paneling and glue it in place with a good construction glue (PL premium) or similar... you will probably have to build a make shift prop to hold up the panels untill the glue dries.
I'll try to dig up a few pics of my ceiling refinishing and post em up for you.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
My current plan is just to remove the interior. That may change once I open it up. I guess my question is when I go to H.D. or Lowes what am I asking for ?

It is an oldie. 1984 Fleetwood Jamboree 26"
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Basically the paneling is 4x8 door skins with a vinyl finish on one side,I'm not sure if it has a specific name. Most stores have a very limited selection of finishes in stock but they will be able to order a variety of different finishes. I got lucky and found a good selection of paneling at a local new and used building suplies store (New discontinued stock) for $10 per sheet, usually at around $30 per sheet. The way I see it, if your replacing the whole ceiling it doesn't matter what finish you buy as long as it is all the same.
Again, make sure it is the wood backed paneling, not pressboard.... It does look the same at a glance and I have found that most stores don't seperate them.......
Don't forget to buy the plastic H trim to put between the sheets, gives it a really nice finished look.....
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I used 4x8 1/8 inch plywood to refinish the ceiling in my fiver. One coat of KILZ primer with a coat of semi gloss bathroom paint applied with a high nap roller gave a close approximation of the finish in the rest of the trailer. In my case I could not find the vinyl coated plywood in any place other than a dealership, which wanted to charge me $75 a sheet. I didn't use H trim, Jayco didn't either. I used batten trim, prefinished in oak. stapled over the seams. It looks great.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #6

I used 1/8 ply sheets primed then painted with semigloss white bathroom paint and the origional H trim in my last Vanguard slide in camper, looked great when I was done.
I cant find any pics of the camper but here is a pic of the ceiling panel in my MH bathroom. I gutted the whole thing and started from scratch....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH bath ceiling.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	8127