Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interior Painting

Hello and Good Morning..

We have a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree that I am trying to modernize a bit, just the back slash by the stove and bathroom. I hung some wet & stick wall paper well that lasted for a couple weeks till the AZ. heat got to it. Does anyone know how to make it stick or maybe just paint it? if painting is a better option what type of paint?

Oh and a couple of the panel moldings need to be put back up they are falling off. tape/glue? help

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
sizing

did you size the wall, and let the wallpaper soak for about 5 to 10 minuets, it gets hot here but not as hot as AZ, but it should hold, and on one wall I primed the wall good over wall paper that was there and bought some additive for the paint for a textured look and it turned out pretty good, and please remember I am not a expert, so maybe there are better answers here from people who have done this more,,,,
Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydar View Post
Hello and Good Morning..

We have a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree that I am trying to modernize a bit, just the back slash by the stove and bathroom. I hung some wet & stick wall paper well that lasted for a couple weeks till the AZ. heat got to it. Does anyone know how to make it stick or maybe just paint it? if painting is a better option what type of paint?

Oh and a couple of the panel moldings need to be put back up they are falling off. tape/glue? help

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #3

I bought some very expensive woodgrained vinyl to put on my interior of the 88 Itasca. I did a couple of test panels first. I live in Phoenix and it did not last. So now I am thinking paint also might be a better choice.
I did record some temperatures of over 130 degrees in the MH parked in the driveway this summer.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

Ok, we put wall paper on 1994 coach eight years ago and stored in Phoenix for several years over the summer. Paper still looks good. We used a good primer on the walls, booked the paper using a good paste, and made sure it was properly brushed and edges rolled out.

We also did a lot of painting. Trick to paint was to use a really good primer. We used one that says it can be used over glass. It stuck really good on the smooth laminate walls.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

The best thing I have found is to use TSP to thoroughly clean the walls of any build, waxes, or residues before you prime and paint or wallpaper. It can be found at any hardware or paint store.

Thanks
Adam
Old 12-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

A friend who full times Went to painting the interior of his older rig. Even painted some of the fake wood panels. Where some pealing was going on, he just patched and painted over. he didn't stick to the bla white most RVs use. Addition of some real oak trim and chair railing. The rig looks fantastic. Paint covers a lot of old sins. X2 on the TSP
Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought about spray textureing my ceiling after I remove the wall paper or what every they used in 82 It comes off like wall paper
Would that work? Could I use expansion joints where the sheets butt up too each other?
Thanks for the advice,
Tim,
Not meaning to hijack the fourm.
Sorry
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #8

My 5r has one joint in the ceiling that must flex because I have tried everything to keep the moulding that covers it in place. Maybe I should attach it to one side only.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #9

cleaning and scoring the panel and then sizing over and priming is key, they have a priming sizing all in one and that is what I used, I also scoured the paper with light sand paper before sizing/primer also, before painting or re-wallpapering,,,,
Old 12-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
bap

the painting is my favorite part of a resto if the paper or old wood just cant be saved

prep work is 99% of any painting or wallpaper...all great advise above
Old 12-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
My 5r has one joint in the ceiling that must flex because I have tried everything to keep the moulding that covers it in place. Maybe I should attach it to one side only.
Great Idea.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #12

heat gun

I was using a heat gun for a while and getting some of the wallpaper pieces off, then it started pulling splintering the panels, so then I went to the scouring priming method so I wouldn't have to fill the wood paneling, caused way too much work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
the painting is my favorite part of a resto if the paper or old wood just cant be saved

prep work is 99% of any painting or wallpaper...all great advise above

Tags
paint