Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Interior Panels

I am looking at interior panels but being on a strict budget I have to consider all angles, has anyone used wallpaper and if so how well did it preform?
I am also thinking about plywood and painting what I am worried about is the effect the weather will have on either.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

Someone wallpapered some walls in mine. Looks to be about mid-'80's and it's still as strong if not stronger than when it was new. ... Wallpapaer or paint, either way you probably can't go wrong.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMN View Post
Someone wallpapered some walls in mine. Looks to be about mid-'80's and it's still as strong if not stronger than when it was new. ... Wallpapaer or paint, either way you probably can't go wrong.
I just went to Menards and bought 12 sheets of paneling (3/16) the type that is like pressed cardboard, I got 12 sheets for the walls and 5 sheets for the ceiling. The ceiling is white and the walls are like a honey Oak, I also have access to rolls of wallpaper from the 70's my Dad was a paperhanger and never tossed anything. Thanks for the call.
Jim
Old 08-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #4

Redoing interior walls.

We have done extensive wall rebuilding due to water dammage. I bought Georgia Pacific wall paneling. It came 1/8th inch and had the wallpaper already on it. Not cheap about $40.00 a sheet. Plywood isn't cheap either. I also used 1/8th plywood that I stained. If the wood is nice enough you could stain and use Spar urethane. Any walls that you rip back to the fiberglass or Aluminum should be coated with bondo as this seals up any holes you can't even see. This would be interior coating. Paint is fine. It has been several years since or renovation and everything is high and dry.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #5

Redoing interior walls.

We had good luck with HD liquid nails on the back of our paneling. Used a tube per panel. Cheapest at Walmart. I read recently that it is best to trowl in on to get an even coat. We put it on in a s pattern. DH used a floor roller on the panel. It sure evened it out. No problem with delamination or moisture years later. Best of luck on your project.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Went to Menards and had a major sticker shock hard to believe that the crap available is so expensive, I purchased my paneling but it is not plywood but some kind of paper hard board has anyone used this stuff and how do you get it to make the 90 curve to transition to the ceiling panels? did you score the back with a skill saw or utility knife? I have one sheet up and am not happy as it cracked about 3/4 of the way thru the curve. It is not a big deal as there are cabinets to hide the snafu.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

flexible panel

Get a sheet of the textured white PVC paneling from Lowes when you have to panel a curved ceiling area. The PVC J-tracks that are used for vinyl house siding fit the paneling -- attach the perforated flange of the strip to the wood framing with small flathead wood screws. Then you cut your panel to the width you need and slide it into the j-track. It will then flex into the curve you need -- be sure to measure and mark where the wood framing is underneath before you put up the paneling, then fasten it to the wood as you push it into place using short white painted sheet metal screw. Here are some photos of the PVC as I installed in on the curved ceiling of my Class C bunk:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced_final_w_rug.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	112060   Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced_w_mattress .jpg
Views:	29
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	112061  

Tags
interior, panel