Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Is a 1997 considered vintage?

Hello,

We just bought a 1997 Monaco Windsor for a really great price. We have a lot of remodel work to do on her but her bones are sound and good and she runs great!

In my consignment store that we once owned vintage was 25 years old or older and antique was 100 years old.

I read some people consider autos vintage after 20 years, this girl is 20 years old her date of manufacture is 1996 she is titled as a 1997.

So is she vintage?

I am hunting for this because although she looks pretty darn good we cannot find an rv park that will take us and it hurts my feelings something terrible. I find it rather sad that our society likes to label things as undesirable and unuseful when there is so much more our items can give us. Dumps and junkyards are full of all the things that are thrown away too soon. We had a 2016 motorhome that was just pile of junk. It was flimsy and cheap. We even looked at newer ones that have pretty high prices and they are made so poorly. We love how heavy duty this rig is and how solid the walls are, the cabinets are! The not visible parts of the cabinets are made of 3/4" plywood NOT fiber board or pressed board. This rig is a tough cookie and we like it.

When we figured out that the new rigs were not for us due to the quality of components they are made from we just thought about our 1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial that was also built with plywood and solid woods, sturdy through and through. Our shopping list was Holiday Rambler or Monaco 1997-1999. Then we found this sweet deal!

We hope we fit in somewhere.
midi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
midi, your new baby is vintage for sure!
I also own a Monaco Windsor, 38', 1996, and love it! Bought mine at a really good deal also, and almost all of the stuff was done by the PO! It has hardwood floors from the bathroom tile out the front door, which is great to keep her clean! Still has the carpet in the bedroom, but that will go soon! We named ours "Mona"
Hope to see some pic's of yours soon!
The Monaco's of this era are really well built, and will last forever, if cared for! I was very lucky to find ours, and she was loved by her two previous owners, who were best friends!
Good luck with yours! Rail!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

Good to know 1997 is accepted here. I just bought a '97 Newmar Kountry Star since my Holiday Rambler is in the shop with several issues. I really like the HR but the DW really wanted a coach with a slide. We found the KS with an affordable price and went for it. It is quite an upgrade from the HR. I've been posting on the Newmar Owners forum, but the people there have much newer units and really have very little in common with my older motorhome.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

You didn't say where you have looked for RV parks. There is a thread about older RV's being rejected and the consensus seems to be that this is quite rare - at least in the midwest.

In 39 years, with four different motorhomes, we have encountered the rig age issue in one RV park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi View Post
...we cannot find an rv park that will take us...We hope we fit in somewhere.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Oh well the RVpark that we had been trying to get in to only because our daughter lives there and needed help moving, fixing things for her is located in Salt Lake City Utah. It is the KOA in downtown SLC. On the phone they were tough with us, via email tough with us. Now our rig is old and is has the original paint that is need of updating tat we plan on taking care of but for this visit there was not way it would be done. I sent images and finally got a different person and they said that we could stay. We selected the oldest less desirable part of their park so our "ugly" rig wouldn't offend anyone with a new rig. When we arrived we were shocked to see the beat up, not maintained, and falling apart rvs in this huge rv park. We couldn't believe they initially gave us grief.

When we are finished with the renovations I doubt anywhere will ban us. Since we are truly 100% fulltimers and we are doing most of the work ourselves it is scary to even consider asking to stay at an RV park. When we leave here we will not be staying at any RV parks again. Unless our daughter needs us to come back to help her.

We understand why they have the rules they have... we surely do.
midi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

I haven't been asked for the model year of our coach (yet), and though we avoid "resorts" consider anything else fair game in our travels.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Good to know 1997 is accepted here. I just bought a '97 Newmar Kountry Star since my Holiday Rambler is in the shop with several issues. I really like the HR but the DW really wanted a coach with a slide. We found the KS with an affordable price and went for it. It is quite an upgrade from the HR. I've been posting on the Newmar Owners forum, but the people there have much newer units and really have very little in common with my older motorhome.
I understand this - I had to go deep into that forum to find things relevant.
I think this forum is better suited to me.
I'll still poke my head in the Newmar forum to see if anyone posted anything I'm interested in.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Any time a park ask me the year of my coach I just tell them its a 07. If they question me I'll just take my money elsewhere.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:45 AM   #9

I have only traveled the east coast from Niagara Falls to Key West and have never been asked the age of my rig.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I understand this - I had to go deep into that forum to find things relevant.
I think this forum is better suited to me.
I'll still poke my head in the Newmar forum to see if anyone posted anything I'm interested in.
Just so you know there are many older Newmars on the forum and a lot of the posts in the QT's are of older coach's.
Most of the Newmar owners had owned older Newmars so they still have the answers for you.
No problem residing here I helped get this forum going a long time ago so enjoy your stay where ever it maybe.
Still looking for your thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Just so you know there are many older Newmars on the forum and a lot of the posts in the QT's are of older coach's.
Most of the Newmar owners had owned older Newmars so they still have the answers for you.
No problem residing here I helped get this forum going a long time ago so enjoy your stay where ever it maybe.
Still looking for your thread.
Yup, I agree - they had to grow up on something (older coaches) so I plan to stay active in the Newmar owners forum.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The definition of "Vintage" depends on who you are talking to.

The State of Michigan says "over 25 years old"
A vehicle over 25 years old qualifies for "Historic" license plates or other special registration plates, however there are limits on driving a vehicle so registered.. I won't go into details since that is not the subject of this thread.

Now to a dealer, more than a few years old is "Vintage" and they no longer stock parts...

To me... 1997 is borderline.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #13

This forums definition uses 20 years for vintage. However no one is going to have issue with a 19 (or probably a 15) year old rig owner asking questions here.

Since you were staying at a KOA the email and phone could have been handled by the parent organization and not the local owners/managers.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vintage