Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Is exhaust break really needed

I have a friend who is about to purchas a 1990 36' Hawkins motor home with a 3208 cat engine. This thing is in unbelieveable condition at a very good price. He just discovered that it does not have an exhaust brake installed and is considering not buying it for that reason.
Is an exhaust brake really that big a deal? I have to admit this is the first rv I have seen without one or a jake brake or something. Can a person do ok without one?

Denny's toys
1990 Beaver Contessa 36',19' Bayliner, 1938 ford, 1966 Ford Mustang,1965 Mustang, Retired USAF 1968-1990
beaverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No reason he can't survive without an exhaust bake. They do cut down on the wear and tear on the brakes though. I like ours in stop and go traffic, let off on the gas pedal and slow down without applying the brake is nice.

Can they be installed aftermarket?

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
I am a retired cross country trucker. Exhaust brakes are nice, a jake break is better. A cat does not hold back on the downgrades very well, Cummins better on this subject.Cat may out pull a Cummins. Pac Brake Headquarters is in Vancoover, BC Phone 800 663 0096, Jim is extremely knowledgable. I would contact Poulson. . Wilson Co in Portland, Or. for info, parts and installation. They are a distributor for Jake Brake, much less than many dealers Consider the areas you plan to travel. Hope this info will help. old trucker.
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
I too am a ex-trucker. I would not turn down a good deal just because it does not have the "EXHAUST BRAKE", but at a later date, I would install one. Now let me tell you something that does not get passed along much. Exhaust brakes tend to fail at times. The reason is that when people run on the flats, they tend not to use then much. The butterfly in them builds with carbon and freezes the butterfly open. Then when decending a hill, the switch is flipped, and nothing happens. So to keep your exhaust brake in good working condition, 'USE IT', even on short runs on the flats.
Yes I would have one on my M/H, especially if I was towing anything.
my 2 cents worth!
Happy Motoring, Ron
wb6epp is offline   Reply With Quote