Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Remember we set this thing up for hot weather with the water wetter and lean anti-freeze mixture so it`s bound to run a little cool at 35 degrees.
Also the aftermarket gauge is reading radiator temp and the factory gauge is reading engine water temp, which would be up to the thermostat opening. The aftermarket gauge would swing from low to higher when the thermostat opened.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #142

Lots of good reading on this thread. Glad things are working out for you Oldvet.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #143

Thanks, our plan is if we like this rving we are going to up grade and go full time next year.
The benefit to running a older rig to me is they`er not as expensive to repair and I can do most of the work myself.
I`m leaning toward a diesel pusher next.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #144

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Remember we set this thing up for hot weather with the water wetter and lean anti-freeze mixture so it`s bound to run a little cool at 35 degrees.
Oldvet, Yes I realise it leaner water A/F settings along with the water wetter however the thermostat should keep it within 10 not the 30 swing your showing.....

Did you change out the thermostat and if you did what kind of stat was reinstalled....

I have the "Robertshaw" thermostst with 3 small holes drilled into the body to allow a water pass through while warming up, 2 holes would have more than e'nuf cuz when going down hill the temps will drop down to 170 from 185 or so....

I'm happy to see your rig running super good tho and hope you will have a great vacation during the winter travels...

Jim
Old 10-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #145

Today it held steady at 170, dern cold out here in Kansas, wipers and front of rig all iced over.
I have a 185 thermostat , the factory gauge ran half way between full cold and straight up.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #146

Still running strong, we`re in Fort Worth at at a friends now, it ran a little hot in city freeway traffic at 80 outside temp.
Change in altitude sure effects those carbs, wish i had fuel injection.
More later
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #147

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Still running strong, we`re in Fort Worth at at a friends now, it ran a little hot in city freeway traffic at 80 outside temp.
Change in altitude sure effects those carbs, wish i had fuel injection.
More later

You can dang near dial in the rochestor carb pretty close to fuel injection....When someone fully understands the carb idle circuit is still in play until the engine speed reaches 2500 RPM or so then transitions into the main jets @ 2800 RPMs +- 200 RPMs then is where the fine tuning becomes very effective.
This weekend I'm removing the 3/4 inch spacer under the carb and replace it with a 1/4 incher which should provide a better A/F signal to the carb..
I'm just a dab rich on the idle circuit and I'll bet you are also.

Jim
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post

You can dang near dial in the rochestor carb pretty close to fuel injection....When someone fully understands the carb idle circuit is still in play until the engine speed reaches 2500 RPM or so then transitions into the main jets @ 2800 RPMs +- 200 RPMs then is where the fine tuning becomes very effective.
This weekend I'm removing the 3/4 inch spacer under the carb and replace it with a 1/4 incher which should provide a better A/F signal to the carb..
I'm just a dab rich on the idle circuit and I'll bet you are also.

Jim
Mine has the quarter inch spacer already, hitting the road again tomorrow so catch ya all later
Bumped the timming up too about 8-10 so will see what difference that makes.
Nothing like being a road mechanic huh.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #149

Don't think it will matter much on a 30 YO coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
I would leave the A.C. in cuz of the resale value when the time to trade up occures.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #150

Where do you get those blinds?

Quote:
Also put some new Venision blinds on the living area windows, makes opening and closing lots better.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #151

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
Don't think it will matter much on a 30 YO coach.
When everything works perfectly on a new or used coach the buyer knows it's been maintained.

Jim
Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #152

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Purchased everything for mine at Lowes, Great fit on 7 windows but only 3 are mini blinds..

Jim
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #153

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying been on the road and don`t have internet all the time. Bought the blinds at Home Depot, they can cut to length for you.

We are over in the Lufkin TX area, stayed at the train state park in Rusk the other day, very neat.
Rained six inches couple days ago just south of there near Lufkin so high water everywhere.
Rig is holding her own as long as I don`t push it too hard.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #154

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rig is holding her own as long as I don`t push it too hard.

What do you consider pushing it tooooo hard?
'Cept for the rain I'm glad to see your having a good time.

Jim