Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #155

Quote:
Rig is holding her own as long as I don`t push it too hard.
Well if it`s below 60 I can drive it any speed i want and the temp stays around 185.
If it`s 70 and keep it at 55 mph it runs around 190-200.
If it`s 80 or above and drove it 65 i`d be nervous but i haven`t tried that so can`t say for sure, my guess would be it would run about 209-220.
Thinking about buying a small car to tow so we can get around better, that should send the temp up a little but at least would have a get away car.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #156

This made me nervous.

The rig at the city park in Pratt Kansas, very nice place for ten a night.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #157

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Well if it`s below 60 I can drive it any speed i want and the temp stays around 185.
If it`s 70 and keep it at 55 mph it runs around 190-200.
If it`s 80 or above and drove it 65 i`d be nervous but i haven`t tried that so can`t say for sure, my guess would be it would run about 209-220.
Thinking about buying a small car to tow so we can get around better, that should send the temp up a little but at least would have a get away car.
With a get away car, There good to drive over to a parts store
I tow a Saturn SC2 (2002) and it scales out at 2,500 pounds with a half tank of gas and the 33" Itasca doesn't know it's there....

I still feel it's the timing at the higher RPMs and temps is retarded causing the additional heat, Does it ping at different speeds?

I would sorta push the RV to the limits just to see what happens, 220 is what I call the heat limits..

Jim
Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
With a get away car, There good to drive over to a parts store
I tow a Saturn SC2 (2002) and it scales out at 2,500 pounds with a half tank of gas and the 33" Itasca doesn't know it's there....

I still feel it's the timing at the higher RPMs and temps is retarded causing the additional heat, Does it ping at different speeds?

I would sorta push the RV to the limits just to see what happens, 220 is what I call the heat limits..

Jim
Never heard any pinging.
You suggested bumping the timing up, it`s at 8 now and i didn`t notice any difference from 4 degrees.
I can`t do anything major on the road and don`t even have the timing light along.
I recon i`ll just keep poking along and mess with it more when we get back to MN in the spring.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #159

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Never heard any pinging.
You suggested bumping the timing up, it`s at 8 now and i didn`t notice any difference from 4 degrees.
I can`t do anything major on the road and don`t even have the timing light along.
I recon i`ll just keep poking along and mess with it more when we get back to MN in the spring.
With NO pinging (yet) is that with low octane fuel?
The 4 advance has helped you out, Look at your temps and how they have dropped at the different speeds and temps....Your sooooo close to nailing it..
I've been wrenching these cars for almost 58 years and with my ears and a vacuum gauge the timing can be dialed in very close, Just grab your 9/16 wrench and push the timing up (forward looking down at the dist)(counter clockwise) 1/8 of an inch, That should be 10...Maybe 11..
Yep, nothing beats a great running machine zipping down the super slab.

Jim
Old 11-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #160

Been running the lowest octane i can find.
I`ve been dern tempted to set the timing by ear which is what i`ve done on a lot of cars for years.
When i worked for tune up masters we would run a engine under full load on the dino and set the timing by ear, we would always have it within 3-5 degrees of specs.
On this 454 i have noticed how far it pulls the engine down when ya back it down to 4 degrees. I`d tend to believe that if i`d set it by ear it would be in the 10-15 degree range and be better off as long as it didn`t ping .
Now for our listeners i`d not recomend setting timing by ear unless your very confident in your abilities.
I may just set it that way one of these days.
Not pinging would be my main concern and by running a higher octane you could get away with higher timing.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #161

On our '88 27 foot Winnebago Super Chief, the cooling system is about the only thing I haven't touched - the temp down the road runs between the lower, cold mark, and the straight up (normal) one - only goes up to the normal mark or VERY slightly above, in the longest, steepest grades on a 100 degree summer day.

These older Winnies sure are neat - so well made overall, that if decently maintained, are absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of next to the late$t and more expen$ive $tuff out there.

I've been following this thread, since the rig is so close to our own - I've bumped the OEM timing from 4 degrees to nearly 11 so far - no signs of pinging in our 3500-5000 foot eastern Oregon elevation so far, might be a bit more in there yet. I gained 3-4 inches of vacuum, and noticeable power increase from the timing change - nothing radical, bit a bit easier pulling the steeper grades - probably helped MPG a bit as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #162

Quote:
On our '88 27 foot Winnebago Super Chief, the cooling system is about the only thing I haven't touched - the temp down the road runs between the lower, cold mark, and the straight up (normal) one - only goes up to the normal mark or VERY slightly above, in the longest, steepest grades on a 100 degree summer day.
My factory in dash gage has been running there more as of late, only gets to striaght up or above if i drive over 60 mph and above 70 degrees.
I`m going to tinker with the timing some more, though i still beleave this MH has to small a rad. from the get go.
I`m in this rv park for a while so won`t be doing anything with it for a while.
By the time the trip is over and we get home i`ll have it running perfect then i suppose i`ll have to keep it.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #163

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post

These older Winnies sure are neat - so well made overall, that if decently maintained, are absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of next to the late$t and more expen$ive $tuff out there.

I've been following this thread, since the rig is so close to our own - I've bumped the OEM timing from 4 degrees to nearly 11 so far - no signs of pinging in our 3500-5000 foot eastern Oregon elevation so far, might be a bit more in there yet. I gained 3-4 inches of vacuum, and noticeable power increase from the timing change - nothing radical, bit a bit easier pulling the steeper grades - probably helped MPG a bit as well.
Gary, My 87 Winney 22" would except 11 of base timing but my 83 Itasca only wants a 10 base so thats the reason for changing the ignition weights to 375 center & 41 weights which hands out a 22 mechanical advance.
Gotta be carefulllll though cuz the vacuum advance has to be cut back from the stock (around 25) to 10---12 and NO MORE...

More tricks are available LIKE plugging the vacuum line to the EGR line, Try it on the same hill climb....On the west bound hill climb here the vacuum would dip to and around 6" and within a 15 minute turn around and the same hill the vacuum jumped up a dab over 8"...

Remember that EGR is resending SPENT gas back into your engine, For me I want a fresh charge in my cylinders (Mo-power).

I don't know if the "Oldvet" has a EGR or not but mine from the factory doesn't

People marvel at the electronics housed in my RV and come around for demos....

Jim
Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #164

Mine has the smog pump setup - not sure about an EGR valve - hafta check next time I pull the doghouse off......
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #165

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Mine has the smog pump setup - not sure about an EGR valve - hafta check next time I pull the doghouse off......
Gary, You have one for sure.....Not sure about Oldvets 85 tho.
Mine has the smog pump also which is no big deal
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Gary, You have one for sure.....Not sure about Oldvets 85 tho.
Mine has the smog pump also which is no big deal
Yepper mine was made with one and the smog pump.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #167

I'll be sure to plug mine off before the next outing - thanks Jim!

Do you have any suggestions as to the best method to block it off - just a simple plug somewhere in the line?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #168

Admittedly, I haven't read ALL the flood of pages in this thread - still working my way thru them - so apologies if this was already covered - but my '88 Winnie also has the rear heater, with all the engine coolant plumbing. SO, where does the water flow to/from that rear heater fit into the engine thermostat cooling flow?

Does the rear flow to that heater essentially bypass the engine thermostat, compromising it's operation? As I mentioned further above, my own MH actually runs what I consider to be too COOL for proper engine operation, under all but the most heavily loaded pulling conditions - could that be because the rear heater coolant flow AROUND the thermostat is defeating, or at least limiting it's function and purpose?