Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Found a video of Jims trailer.

MAN, wouldn't THAT make an eye-opening sight out on the freeway!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #212

Well guys and Gals we`re still traveling, we are at Fort Parker TX now and have been touring around beautiful east TX for a few months. Never had a clue that there was so many pine trees in TX.
It`s starting to warm up a little so Monday we are going to start kreeping north as the weather allows.
The rig has run good, the only problem so far was a clogged up fuel filter, actually enough dirt got by the filter and clogged up the passagways so had to pull the carb and blow it out. Running good again now and temps are in the 190-210 range depending on the outside temp.
I`m not sure if it would handle real hot temps and steep grades but don`t plan on doing either. This is a nice clean rig for it`s age and we`ve enjoyed it a lot but will probably sell it when we get home and up grade to a newer model.
This was our first extended MH trip , we left Oct. first and will get home around the first of May. We are considering going full time but if not we will surely be going south again next winter, God willing.
Thought ya might like an up-date.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #213

olvet happy to see your on your way been following this from day one a special thanks to everyone here.a special thanks to jim (your the man and a great friend)this is my first real trip to try out the distrubitor mods. i used to tow a 4 door grand am now im 240 miles into trip towing my 4 door chevy truck i can tell better pulling on hills im south of austin now. did loose a grease seal on drivers front fixed this morning.off to fiasta texas tomorrow. then off to tiki island (do a search on tiki tom's rv park) ill be on the water tuesday thru sunday.one more to jim i picked up i fuel pump for generator on e-bay $31 with shipping got the gen. running great
then back south of fort worth SPRING BREAK 2010
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #214

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
olvet happy to see your on your way been following this from day one a special thanks to everyone here.a special thanks to jim (your the man and a great friend)this is my first real trip to try out the distrubitor mods. i used to tow a 4 door grand am now im 240 miles into trip towing my 4 door chevy truck i can tell better pulling on hills im south of austin now. did loose a grease seal on drivers front fixed this morning.off to fiasta texas tomorrow. then off to tiki island (do a search on tiki tom's rv park) ill be on the water tuesday thru sunday.one more to jim i picked up i fuel pump for generator on e-bay $31 with shipping got the gen. running great
then back south of fort worth SPRING BREAK 2010
dave
Congrat's to both of you......Whem I'll bet that truck weighs a dab more than your Grand Am and pulling the hills better....
Once those engines are dialed in (even close to be dialed in) the performance output is remarkable along with better mileage....
Old vet I'm glad to hear your heating problems are pretty much under control....
New project for me is to remove the plugs (2) near the oil filter and install another digital oil pressure sender along with a oil temp gauge...Gotta find the right tools for the plugs

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #215

Thanks guys, will update again when we get home.
Whem, if i`d known we were in the same area we could of got together somewhere.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #216

olvet that may happen some day i do a lot of running i east texas from cedar creel to athens to longview to nacadohas (cant spell it) have a safe trip yes jim im sure truck is at leaste 1000 lbs more once you get going you cant tell its there
dave
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #217

latest update i used to average 6.8 to 7.2 mpg a check for 220 miles was raining so traffic was running 58 to 62 mph i got 8.14 now we are on the coast we were running with traffic 68 to 72 mph this is going to kill me i know spring break 2010
dave
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #218

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
latest update i used to average 6.8 to 7.2 mpg a check for 220 miles was raining so traffic was running 58 to 62 mph i got 8.14 now we are on the coast we were running with traffic 68 to 72 mph this is going to kill me i know spring break 2010
dave
Whem, That is a substantial increase in your fuel mileage increase....
68 to 72 is indeed a fuel eater but there times we need to kick it up a notch, Mine likes 62-63 MPH.
With 8.14 MPG I can see 9+ in your future

Jim
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #219

yes speed is a killer trafic was crasy on I-10 in to houston i know the increase was needed next test will be sunday about 350 miles im happy now i am looking at a new distruibitor on line then doug thorley headers in the summer my exhaust now is 2 1/2 into mufflers (waterheater size) 2 1/4 out. been at the beach with daughter and 2 grandkids and x-wife.
had a great time
dave
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #220

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
yes speed is a killer trafic was crasy on I-10 in to houston i know the increase was needed next test will be sunday about 350 miles im happy now i am looking at a new distruibitor on line then doug thorley headers in the summer my exhaust now is 2 1/2 into mufflers (waterheater size) 2 1/4 out.

Anything around the Houston area (traffic wise) is nutso.....

Thorley's with a 2 1/2 collector work out great with our slow turning rigs, More low end torque with the "X-PIPE" (2 1/2 inch also) works super great and it can be picked up from Summitracing for around $90.00.

I also weld the flanges on the X-PIPE just incase the trannie hasta be dropped..... mufflers are you choice and the 2 1/4 after the muffler will be fine since the majority of the out going gasses are cooler.

At 8.14 MPG with your present distributer seems good or have you found a problem with it?

Run around with your rig and enjoy the good life.

Jim
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #221

We`re up in Pratt Kansas now, great town with a great city park we will be heading north further next Monday as the weather allows. I`m averaging eight mpg.
Don`t get WI-FI often so spotty on the up-dates but good travels to all.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #222

came home sunday what a disaster 35 to 40 mph wind i dont even want to check milage
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #223

I`ve picked up a few sayings from people in our travels about 454`s running hot.

1- If it`s not in the red it`s not overheating.

2- If ya put a steak and baked potato on the manifold and it is cooked in about 15 minutes it`s running about right.

3- If it ain`t puking out the over flow bottle your good to go.

4- 230 degrees is normal for that year.

Ya know i`m not so sure there ain`t some truth to some of that, i`ve read post after posts about these older 454`s and people have replaced everything from rads to water pumps, fans and they still run hot.
One thing I read is on some year engines they had smaller water passageways in the heads so they would run hotter. One guy posted that he called GM and they said 230 was normal for that engine.
Mine still will get up to 230 on a hot day and a slight grade but the clutch fan kicks in and brings it down to 215.
We`ve put about 4,000 miles on it this trip and it never boiled over so i`m not so sure that it just isn`t the nature of the beast, at least on a 85.
Makes me wonder if the fix on the 89 wasn`t the two huge electric fans in front of the rad and maybe bigger water holes in the heads.
Ok Jim be easy on me now.
We`re heading north early morn so i might not read your reply for a few days.
Happy Easter All.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #224

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From "Oldvet"
One thing I read is on some year engines they had smaller water passageways in the heads so they would run hotter. One guy posted that he called GM and they said 230 was normal for that engine.
Mine still will get up to 230 on a hot day and a slight grade but the clutch fan kicks in and brings it down to 215

Parallel VS series cooling in the heads is what your talking about.....Parallel will produce a better (even) heat dissipation BUT both will work OK.....
As I've said before there ain't no reason for that engine to go over 15º whatever thermostat is placed in your engine....
I personally run a 180º T-stat from "Stewart" water pumps along with his stage one pump (cast iron) and with that combo the heating problems ceased.

Jim