Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #15

Stuffed some foam in the headlight area, will test drive tomorrow and report results.
I`m pretty sure they make a anti-freeze tester so will check that out also.
As far as that timing goes seems i read that ya want 32 degrees total, but ya have to make a stop for the mechanical advance to reduce it then bump the set timing up to 15 degrees. Something like that but i`ll see what we`ve accomplished thus far.
Hey thanks for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Sheesh edit again, now ya know why i put old in my handle
Got above the rad all tinned in, turned out good. Have a little area back by the headlights that is open but will be hard to close in.
Maybe if i get the anti-freeze checked and what i`ve done it will be a big improvement.
Hahahahaha...I'm pushing into 72 years old and just quit all the building at 70....
On the anti freeze testers I purchase from NAPA and they ain't cheap but we have a need to know exactly where we are standing....
For you at the moment I would drain out about 5 quarts and refill it with distilled water just to see what happens with the heat problem...

Rusty, Here is MY bottom line on the ignition settings, RVs are 10 base and 22 mechanical and curb back the vacuum advance to 10 for a grand total of 42 lite footing it down the level road...Manifold vacuum NOT ported vacuum is also in play...

On our big dawgs (1/4 mile) the timing can range from 35 to 40 depending on what the engine wants on the dyno....NO 2 engines are ever the same cuz of the cams, Compression along with cubic inches

Jim

Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Rusty, Here is MY bottom line on the ignition settings, RVs are 10 base and 22 mechanical and curb back the vacuum advance to 10 for a grand total of 42 lite footing it down the level road...Manifold vacuum NOT ported vacuum is also in play...

On our big dawgs (1/4 mile) the timing can range from 35 to 40 depending on what the engine wants on the dyno....NO 2 engines are ever the same cuz of the cams, Compression along with cubic inches

Jim
And here's where I'm coming from - if you're getting 22 degrees mechanical advance at the crank from the distributor, then there's 11 degrees of mechanical advance in the distributor itself. It's important when talking about advance curves to clearly define whether one is referring to distributor or crankshaft degrees.

Rusty
Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #18

Couldn`t wait had to take her for a test drive, wheeeeeeee, on the road at 55 it ran 195-200. Through town at 30 mph 210 but back up to speed 200 or less.
Fan never did kick in so mileage should go up.
Only time it gets hot is at idle, went to 230 but if i bring the rpm up a little the fan will bring it back down.
I will thin out the anti-freeze tomorrow and try it again.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
And here's where I'm coming from - if you're getting 22 degrees mechanical advance at the crank from the distributor, then there's 11 degrees of mechanical advance in the distributor itself. It's important when talking about advance curves to clearly define whether one is referring to distributor or crankshaft degrees.

Rusty
I always use crankshaft degrees.

Jim
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #20

And here I thought you`d be happy ya old fart, ha,ha,ha,ha
I`m just a young fart at 55 i guess. lol.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Couldn`t wait had to take her for a test drive, wheeeeeeee, on the road at 55 it ran 195-200. Through town at 30 mph 210 but back up to speed 200 or less.
Fan never did kick in so mileage should go up.
Only time it gets hot is at idle, went to 230 but if i bring the rpm up a little the fan will bring it back down.
I will thin out the anti-freeze tomorrow and try it again.
That is very good news, It takes time getting everything in order and your off to a great start.
Do you have a 5 blade fan or a 7 blade fan?
My 83 Itasca had a 5 blade (stock) and now has the 7.
Since I don't know your bottom line temps this (so far) is what I've found.

Why do I need to measure the freeze point of the antifreeze in my car?
A 50/50 blend of Antifreeze and water will provide freeze protection to -34 degrees and boil over protection to 257 degrees Fahrenheit. In colder areas of the US protection against block freezing is well known. With the higher efficiency and operating temperatures of vehicles, providing adequate boil over protection to prevent the loss of coolant and potential overheating and engine seizure is a must. Please review the Coolant Chart for Maintaining 50% Antifreeze (Coming soon).

Jim
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
And here I thought you`d be happy ya old fart, ha,ha,ha,ha
I`m just a young fart at 55 i guess. lol.

Now you see why my retirement looked soooo good, The tools may be put up but they can be used at any time

Purchased a (LM1) fuel analyzer so the carb can be dug into a dab deeper while driving down the slab

Jim
Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #23

Yepper and if I have to come back here early say in Feb. i`ll want that 50/50 mix. They sell them testers that tell what temp the anti-freeze is good for, i`ll get one tomorrow and test it.
I`m feeling a lot better than i was, hopefully i`m real rich on the anti-freeze then we can lower the temp some more.

If it gets below -32 down your way i can always put the cardboard in front of the rad. ha,ha ha
You must of been there done that. lol
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #24

Dang memory, got a five blade fan.
Back in 96 it got down to -59 degrees F here, if ya threw a glass of hot water in the air it would vaporize (puff).
Nothin runs in that weather.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yepper and if I have to come back here early say in Feb. i`ll want that 50/50 mix. They sell them testers that tell what temp the anti-freeze is good for, i`ll get one tomorrow and test it.
I`m feeling a lot better than i was, hopefully i`m real rich on the anti-freeze then we can lower the temp some more.

If it gets below -32 down your way i can always put the cardboard in front of the rad. ha,ha ha
You must of been there done that. lol
I will say you are very rich on the A.F. with 1 gallon of the pure stuff and the rest of 50-50, The cold down here in the Palm Springs area has reached 20

Jim
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #26

Ok, bed time for us old farts so will check back tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch all.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dang memory, got a five blade fan.
Back in 96 it got down to -59 degrees F here, if ya threw a glass of hot water in the air it would vaporize (puff).
Nothin runs in that weather.
Dang, I'm really cold at +59 and at -59 I would die......

Salvage yards will be your best bet on finding a 7 blade fan and you probably have the 18 inch blade.....Just measure the shroud width cuz you might be able to slip in a 19 inch....Mine has the 18 incher.

Jim
Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #28

And that was actual temp not wind chill, and is why we`re heading south this winter. This will be our first great escape.
Sure hope this ole Winny holds together, she`s in pretty good shape, new tires and nice inside.
Here`s a pic or two.