Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #85

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
I agree on the designers not knowing what they were doing in these older rigs and that we have to make some changes to make them work.
I`m just limited money wise and tired of working on it so will have to see how it goes, i`m thinking if we stay out of the mountains and travel in the mornings when its cool we may be alright.
I appreciate yours and everyone else's input and have implemented most of the suggestions.
Time is running out to do much more before we leave and have a ton of other stuff to do to get ready.
If i`d only been born rich instead of so good looking as they say i`d have a new rig
Maybe i should put a camper on the hay wagon and hook it to my JD 60 and travel the country that way. Wouldn`t have to worry about them thar hills.
There are a few of those old retired designers/engineers down here in the Palm Springs area and they are a hoot to gab with...
They have explained to me how the "Bean counters" always throw a monkey wrench into the designs along with the smog greenies who manage to change the smog rules at will.......
Kalifornians rule the smog laws and some of those laws are plain nuts..The engineers know how to make those engine stand up and run but are forbiden to do so....
I will hang it up about the left coast cus they only upset me and their ways and simply move on and out of this area.....

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #86

Workhorse Chassis Owner
RVLover, Great post..

Jim

Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #87

Drained out another gal. of anti-freeze today and put in two 12 ounce bottles of that water wetter stuff. Could only get about a quart of water in to top it off, how does that stuff work does it foam up or something ?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #88

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Drained out another gal. of anti-freeze today and put in two 12 ounce bottles of that water wetter stuff. Could only get about a quart of water in to top it off, how does that stuff work does it foam up or something ?
Doesn't foam up AFAIK....So for some reason your at least 2 qts low now..
We use it at the track when the long staging lines make them heat up.

Jim
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #89

Went and took a look after cool down and the overflow bottle did its job and topped it off.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Went and took a look after cool down and the overflow bottle did its job and topped it off.
Might take 1-2 more heat cycles to fully fill it up, Glad to see the bottle now correctly working tho..

Jim
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #91

With all your help i might have to install wheely wheels Jim.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #92

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just went out and looked at the tag on my truck ('87 454) and it says 4 degrees. I don't think 2 degrees would make a difference, but you never know...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #93

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh462 View Post
I just went out and looked at the tag on my truck ('87 454) and it says 4 degrees. I don't think 2 degrees would make a difference, but you never know...
Are you talking about the timing???

Jim
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #94

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Are you talking about the timing???

Jim
Yes. Sorry, I'm battling a cold---It made sense when I typed it...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #95

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take care of your cold......
2 sometimes makes a big difference but not e'nuf to worry about if your engine is set around the stock specs.
Sometimes the "Big Dawgs" lock out the distributer at and around 38, That is fun with you hafta spin the engine over with NO spark then throw the switch...

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #96

Just took the carb off and tore it apart, might as well clean it and put a kit in her. She`ll be purring like a kitten in no time.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #97

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just took the carb off and tore it apart, might as well clean it and put a kit in her. She`ll be purring like a kitten in no time.
Oldvet, Memba a few weeks back when I mentioned "Power rods"?
Well those 2 rods dangling down and have a spring under them are the fuel hog culprits....
The stock carb pulled from the shelf has a 11" vacuum spring and when your engine vacuum starts to drop below 11" the spring starts to push the rods up and the fuel dump starts.....
Most if not all RVs languish between 8 & 12" of vacuum with the slight headwinds or very minor hills......Now for the fix....
General motors has a stock spring that will start/allow the rods to open at 6" instead of 11", BIG savings IMHO.....
Don't have the part numbers on hand but just maybe I can find them.
You can and will notice a big jump in vacuum driving down the super slab (level) just with a properly tuned up ignition (I had about 4") of vacuum increase that way and for the most part those rods just ain't wasting any fuel....
Another thang about the rochestor carb is the idle circuits are still in play up to and around 2500 RPM unless you have your foot in it...
Finding those springs is the "tuff" part but they are out there..

Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #98

How many turns on the idle mixture screws, i had them at 2 1/2 turns and it was idling perfect. They had them at 3/4 turns plugged.
When i took the top off there was old gasket chunks floating around in the float bowl so that`s why my idle went south, needs a good cleaning then the kit and new float.
I know what your talking about with the power piston spring, the piston is held down by vacuum and when it drops the rods lift. It would need a weaker spring then .