Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #127

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
Found another hose that needed replacing, one of the heater hoses that connects onto the back of the rad. Had to drain half of it of course
Still no leaks on a good note i`m coming up with a lot of good names for my new rig just can`t say any of them here.
Yep I've used a few choice words also but ya'know the end results are well worth it....

I had NO freon in mine when it was purchased so it was NO problem when the front end was completely removed (A.C. & Radiator) and decided if it turned or had rubber it will be changed out PERIOD....

Purchased 25 feet of both 5/8 and 3/4 inch hose along with new stainless clamps just for the peace of mind.....

With your new discovery (leaking hose) you can see why that recovery bottle had a "Tuff" time sucking the water back in.....Heck I even replaced the 20 year old air conditioners and the "Coleman power saver" & the Coleman "Polar cub" both now can be run at the same time on 30 amps.

From top to bottom and end to end it's a pleasure to drive that rig..

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #128

Looks like the AC lines will have to come off in order to get the AC rad out of the way if i replace the rad.
The front of this rig doesn`t come apart so looks like a real squeeze gettin things out.
Maybe she`ll hold on the bars leak, not my first choice on dependability but it might be alright.
It`ll hold until the morning we leave at 4 am then leak.

Wish i`d put my hand under that leak this morn to see if it was hot, ya know that channel under the rad, that could of had coolant in it from all the draining and filling and where i parked might of run out of there.
Now wouldn`t that be something to write home about.
Oldvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #129

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
I hear you on the "Liars"......In the small town of Indio there are only a few mechanics that are trust worthy..
Jim
It's a small world... I currently live and work in Riverslide. I work in an RV restoration shop there.
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #130

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh462 View Post
It's a small world... I currently live and work in Riverslide. I work in an RV restoration shop there.
Working in a "resto" shop hasta be one great job......I'm glad "Walt's" is back cuz the transition sorta put a crimp on parts needed and they are a few miles closer.

It's summertime and the heat (118ŗ) put a stop to my projects anyhow, How are your parts suppliers?

Jim
Old 09-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #131

Want to be clear about what I said about liars and was talking about my experiance in looking and buying a MH.
I must of called six people about MH`s to go look at before buying this one, every one of them said their rig had new or like new tires and everything worked and clean as a whistle inside. All of them were pieces of junk when we drove a 100 miles or more to look.
This rig was real clean inside and did have like new tires but everything didn`t work as stated. The fridge never worked on anything and the engine needed a lot of work as you`ve seen by this thread.
My statement about people being liars was not meant to say everyone selling a rig lies and i by no means intended to draw Jim into saying something that would make waves.
Please forgive my loose wording, no harm intended.
Still no leaks and getting hopeful again.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #132

Put a 150 miles on it today and no leaks and temp stayed around 195-200 but the outside temp was only 70 degrees.
Also put some new Venision blinds on the living area windows, makes opening and closing lots better.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #133

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Put a 150 miles on it today and no leaks and temp stayed around 195-200 but the outside temp was only 70 degrees.
Also put some new Venision blinds on the living area windows, makes opening and closing lots better.
"Cool"
Is your "Overflow" bottle still burping the system?

Also installed blinds in the bedroom, Even got the blinds that holds the proper angle to the back window......
Other blinds throughout the RV are the ones that are top down or bottom up and if I knew how to post a picture I would show you

Jim
Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #134

I haven`t checked the bottle tonight yet after cool down.
The windows had those cloth blinds that ya had to pull up and even up covered part of the window.
These will be lots nicer, the ones in the bed room are those roll up pull down type that work good also.
I`m thinking i`m only going to get 7-8 mpg with the rig, it got 8 before i started tuning because it was so lean it would hardly run. Price ya pay for a good running engine i reckon, though a lighter power piston spring would prob. help quite a bit.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #135

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I haven`t checked the bottle tonight yet after cool down.
I`m thinking i`m only going to get 7-8 mpg with the rig, it got 8 before i started tuning because it was so lean it would hardly run. Price ya pay for a good running engine i reckon, though a lighter power piston spring would prob. help quite a bit.
Never know what the MPG cuz of the road & wind conditions, In about 1 week I'll be on the road for 1 week cuz it's party time with my old classmates.....
Just glad you found all of that crud in your carb and cleaned it up, Once that ignition is finally figured out then it's playtime with your carb....

Jim
Old 09-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Never know what the MPG cuz of the road & wind conditions, In about 1 week I'll be on the road for 1 week cuz it's party time with my old classmates.....
Just glad you found all of that crud in your carb and cleaned it up, Once that ignition is finally figured out then it's playtime with your carb....

Jim

Yep and with all these short test runs and idling it`s hard to get a good reading. Flat ground with a tail wind and light foot might surprise a guy.
Have fun on your trip, party and stay out of trouble now.
We`ll be heading out in a couple weeks so if i miss ya take care until next time.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #137

Hi everyone, don`t know who alls interested but we`re in south west Kansas at a little RV park called four aces.
The rig has purred like a kitten the whole way but been on pretty flat country and the weather has been cool.
Engine has been running from 160- 190 average at 55-60 mph.
They say freezing weather coming so tomorrow we will head further south.
Wish us luck.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #138

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi everyone, don`t know who alls interested but we`re in south west Kansas at a little RV park called four aces.
The rig has purred like a kitten the whole way but been on pretty flat country and the weather has been cool.
Engine has been running from 160- 190 average at 55-60 mph.
They say freezing weather coming so tomorrow we will head further south.
Wish us luck.
Hi Oldvet...
Glad to hear your rig is running well in the cool weather.....Wonder about the huge temp swings tho...Go south and stay warm

My rig ran ever so good over the past week also, Good milage and every function was perfect.....Swatted the "Trucker antenna" with a tree but no real damage..

Enjoy your trip..

Jim
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #139

Ran 160 in the morning when the temp was only 35. ran 190 in te after noon at 60 mph.
Hey i`m not complaining it`s running good.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #140

Quote:
Ran 160 in the morning when the temp was only 35. ran 190 in te after noon at 60 mph.
Hey i`m not complaining it`s running good.
Remember we set this thing up for hot weather with the water wetter and lean anti-freeze mixture so it`s bound to run a little cool at 35 degrees.