Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #15

Some routes like tunnels and ferries have restrictions but otherwise don't worry about it.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #16

I would be more worried about running the propane when stopped. Seriously. Because it is heavier than air, LPG can pool up and become a potential bomb if ignited. That probably won't happen when the vehicle is moving - the gas would disperse.

In any case, as already mentioned, I'm much more worried about a road accident.

Three things are certain - Death, Taxes, and risk in living.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I new I liked iRV2 for a reason. Didn't know I could turn propane off. Where is this switch on your MoHo.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I new I liked iRV2 for a reason. Didn't know I could turn propane off. Where is this switch on your MoHo.
In mine, I can turn it off at the tank (outside) or just turn off the LP detector, which closes a valve electronically if it is not running.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #19

This is a hot topic in Aus. Officially, you are not supposed to run on propane, but should use the 12v element while driving. That opens up the next part of the equation...is your 12v wiring installed properly, many homes and vans have too light a wire, and too much voltage drop for the fridge to stay cold... so rewiring is done
Some run on propane and just dont let on
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Always on except for re-fueling...never a problem in 15 years.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
In mine, I can turn it off at the tank (outside) or just turn off the LP detector, which closes a valve electronically if it is not running.

Steve
What LP detectors have this feature? My older motorhome does not have this and it might be something I would like to add.

Most everyone I know lights the refrigerator before leaving home. Only ones I know having any issues are with the Norcold firebombs in the new ones.

We even run our furnace when going over the passes in the winter. Cab only heat can't keep up.

Our state ferries require the propane to be turned off when on the boats. Coast Guard requirement. Rather silly when you think about it. The galley uses propane and if the RV had an issue it would not have made it to the dock.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #22

It's a CCI Controls "Pre-Tell 3" (just went out and looked at it). Vintage 1991... so no idea if they are still around, etc.

For the longest time I didn't realize it had that valve since I always left it "on" -- until one time it got turned off by accident and I didn't notice, instead, spending 45 minutes trying to figure out why my fridge wouldn't light up. Then I said "hey, I wonder if having the LP detector on matters" and when I turned it on, after it "booted up" I heard the big clunk of a solenoid... and then everything worked

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Propane on or off while traveling always opens up a great discussion. There are discussions on the other forums as well. I think since we are presumably talking about vintage rigs it should be mentioned that many vintage coaches have 3 way fridges. AC,Propane,12V. My '90 Rexhall Airex does. While on the road we use 12V and it does well. Just make sure it works before going on a road trip. Drive safe folks. Happy Trails!!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I alway run with it on. I guess it is a personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I have to side with HandyBob which seems to be the minority in this case. I shut off the gas prior to driving. It is a safety habit on my check list - for me this is just in case of an accident. Propane, being a flammable gas that tends to pool, is safe if nothing goes wrong. But, the thought of a ruptured gas line during an accident flat scares me.
P.S. I don't think I am overly cautions, I fly planes (some I built myself), I ride submarines, and I often hike to very remote sites around the world - so my nature is not overly cautious, but the possibility of fire in a motor home scares me. The refrig stays cold enough for me when not running during the drive.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #26

we are back

used the fridge for ten days ice cream stayed frozen all else stayed cold everything was good never smelled any odors but kept a nose out for them will shut it down tomorrow when i clean out the mh
thanks tons guys

best wishes frank,cricket and harley
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #27

OFF in motion. Running on 12v

I'm reading people being more scared of an accident.
Now please tell me how that COMBINED with flowing propane and an ignition source is safe.

Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it safe to do.

Also have the SS-30 auto extinguisher back there for a tad more peace of mind.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
My '88 has a three-way fridge like Hoverbug mentioned. The control panel has a wire from the ignition switch. It transfers to 12v if the ignition is on. It also will not let you manually change it to gas for about 20 minutes after turning the key off, about enough time to fuel up without the gas on.
88Barth is offline   Reply With Quote