Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
OFF in motion. Running on 12v

I'm reading people being more scared of an accident.
Now please tell me how that COMBINED with flowing propane and an ignition source is safe.

Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it safe to do.

Also have the SS-30 auto extinguisher back there for a tad more peace of mind.
I don't think any of us who use propane while underway think it is totally safe. We just think it is an acceptable risk. I always told my customers, You are sitting on 75 gallons of gasoline. The tank is made of steel. A very thin sheet of steel. I believe the chance of the thin steel tank bursting is much greater than the thicker steel LP tank.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don't think any of us who use propane while underway think it is totally safe. We just think it is an acceptable risk. I always told my customers, You are sitting on 75 gallons of gasoline. The tank is made of steel. A very thin sheet of steel. I believe the chance of the thin steel tank bursting is much greater than the thicker steel LP tank.
Good point, but the associated tanks and valves are an unavoidable risk you accept when carrying fuel any volatile fuel. It is the chance of a ruptured LP gas line more than a tank rupture that concerns me. We each have our levels of acceptable risk. I believe 90% of the folks may run down the road with gas on. For me, it is an easy habit to turn it off the gas during my departure walk around and turn it back on during my arrival set-up to reduce this one risk. I know that after an incident and the struggle to get the rig stopped, then check for injuries/damage and figure out what to do next - I would have a lot of things filling my mind and shutting off the propane probably won't be one of them - all the while the ruptured propane line could be filling the ditch and any spark from the wreckage or someone that stops to help (ya right) does the rest. But, the ruptured fuel line for my gen set would probably go first – and around we go. I don’t think anyone of us believes RVs are truly safe. I just reduce the risks where I can and shutting off the gas is free. We like to throw $$ to reduce risk (Tire monitoring system, Smoke Detector, CO Detector, LP gas detectors, steer-safe, sway bars, etc) so why not eat up the dollar worth of ice cream the night before and shut off the gas? The important stuff (steaks and beverages) will still stay cool. :>)

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #31

As usual whenever I post anything half the people don't read it all. I did not say that the propane is the danger. I said that the OPEN FLAME on the fridge and the AUTOMATIC SPARK IGNITION in the fridge are what can cause any gas leak to become an explosion. They are telling us now that cell phones have caused gasoline explosions. Do you see an open flame on a cell phone? How many of the rigs that you see in the lines at the gas pumps have their refrigerators going on propane? Most of them. They are getting away with it. Doesn't make it smart or right.

I once had somebody tell me that he wouldn't fasten his seat belt because God would protect him. Well, if you can't use the free will God gave you to stay away from unnecessary risks, something just might get you. I know several full timers who not only turn the fridge off, they also turn the water pump off. Now there is a big danger!
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry Handybob - I guess I hijacked your post by getting off on the accident thing. I totally agree, by traveling with the frig off you defiantly are reducing the risk of fire at the pump. Now, how can we reduce the risk of heart attack at the pump caused by the bill? Ops - I hyjacked you again - erase that :>)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not just contact the Manufacturer of your fridge and ask them? Given the state of product liability laws and such these days, if there's even the SLIGHTEST risk of an accident or fire, they'll tell you to drive with it off.

I can understand where HandyBob is coming from, as through the years there have been several scary stories about fires - but for the most part, propane in a secure tank is a fairly safe storage medium, and there's really no difference as far as your fridge is concerned, whether it's standing still or moving. YES, the fridge and the stove and anything else with a pilot light should be turned OFF when refueling, just like you probably wouldn't smoke while gassing up the old beast. You CAN if you want, but it would only serve to prove Darwin's observations.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
quick question getting ready to go on vacation next week fridge decided to not cool properly on 120 volt side ,great on propane, is it ok to run down the road with the fridge on propane?

frank,cricket and harley
OK, Yes, You have my permission.

Ed
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
ok. As to not start another dumb newbie question, I will ask it here. You have to light a pilot light on the ice box if you want to use the propane? My hot water heater has a electric ignighter. I never looked under the fridge. Fact is there is no propane in the coach yet. Bought it empty. I'm guessing a truck stop is where you would go to fill up. I have a flying j 15 min from my house that has it, just haven't got the coach to that part yet until now. I guess I will look like an idiot when I drive up there put some gas in and say hey, how do I get some propane in my coach?. Won't be the 1st time. LoL. I guess you have to learn and start somewhere.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
vman60 look for a hatch or door on the side of your coach that is labeled LPG; this will be the access to your horizontal propane tank (by law it must not be lockable). When you open it, you will see the tank guage and the filler opening. Ours is just behind the driver's door.

Just pull up to the propane fill station and tell the feller to fill 'er up!(you don't "pump your own" when its propane.)

A propane dealer, like your local FerrellGas or Amerigas dealer will usually have better prices than the Flying J.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
vman60 look for a hatch or door on the side of your coach that is labeled LPG; this will be the access to your horizontal propane tank (by law it must not be lockable). When you open it, you will see the tank guage and the filler opening. Ours is just behind the driver's door.

Just pull up to the propane fill station and tell the feller to fill 'er up!(you don't "pump your own" when its propane.)

A propane dealer, like your local FerrellGas or Amerigas dealer will usually have better prices than the Flying J.
Thanks you very much. Yes I know where the door is and tank, I just didn't know how about getting it. How about the rest of the question?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #38

since i now have time to wonder do rv's or can you get an overflow valve on a rv propane tank i know they have them on forklifts so if you rupture a line it automatically shuts down the fuel flow and i have them on two propane heaters we use here at home it seems that would make things alot safer?
just a thought.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman60 View Post
ok. As to not start another dumb newbie question, I will ask it here. You have to light a pilot light on the ice box if you want to use the propane?

Just like your water heater, the fridge has electronic ignition. Get your propane filled, switch the fridge to "GAS" and you should be all set.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for helping a new rv"r out with the knowledge of you seasoned veterans. I have owned travel trailers and tents, but this our 1st and probably only motorhome, and it would sure be nice to be able to enjoy this without having in tragedies that could happen without the proper information on how things work and being safe. Its not often you find people willing to share expierances or good knowledge that will aid in happy times and safe adventures. Thank you all so much. Tony
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
since i now have time to wonder do rv's or can you get an overflow valve on a rv propane tank i know they have them on forklifts so if you rupture a line it automatically shuts down the fuel flow and i have them on two propane heaters we use here at home it seems that would make things alot safer?
just a thought

Yes, newer RV's do have a sensor that detects a rupture by sensing how fast the LP moves through the lines; if too fast it will shut off the flow. (you have to be careful after emptying and refilling your tank to initially open your valves slowly in order for it not to think gas is escaping too rapidly.) I'm sure your LP dealer can help you in retrofitting one to your RV.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote