Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

is ok to run fridge on propane going down road?

quick question getting ready to go on vacation next week fridge decided to not cool properly on 120 volt side ,great on propane, is it ok to run down the road with the fridge on propane?

frank,cricket and harley

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

It is very ok to run fridge on propane while driving. It is designed for that purpose and we all do it. For safety you should shut fridge off when fueling. Happy trails.....

Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
It is very ok to run fridge on propane while driving. It is designed for that purpose and we all do it. For safety you should shut fridge off when fueling. Happy trails.....

X2!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

thanks

thanks guys wife was worried and I really didn't know for sure and she made sure to remind me what assuming would do.
love the site tons of help and info tell everyone I know to ck it out

best wishes frank, cricket and harley
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #5

Its very much OK. Always like a cold beer upon setup. Also you don't have to carry a bunch of ice chests and then transfer.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #6

However, ALWAYS turn it off before you start fueling!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
However, ALWAYS turn it off before you start fueling!
Yep, I take mostly short trips and be sure the fuel tank is full so I don't even have to turn it off.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Are you kidding me? Think about this a bit more seriously. Many full timers I know do not travel with the propane on. That open flame or fridge ignitor is the thing that will cause the gasoline explosion if you are ever in a big wreck. Ask the whole family who burned up in a pickup camper in my home town when I was a kid (many, many years ago). A gas hose failed to shut off and gas was running across the ground. I can't say if anybody knows what ignited it, but an open flame on a fridge could do it and the family was trapped in the camper. I had nightmares over it for years. Or ask the lady at the propane dealer in Nevada a few years back who thought she was safe when she turned the propane off, just to have the fridge ignitor cause an explosion. Or, what caused the camp trailer that had just left the Shell station at I8 & Sidewinder to burn to the ground a few years ago? Does anybody really know?

They make us turn our propane tanks off when crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge & tunnel for a reason. Open flames & gas (propane or otherwise) are a very dangerous combination. We are now being warned that using cell phones when fueling is dangerous and they don't have open flames.

We never travel with the propane valves open. The fridge will go for several hours no problem, as long as there is enough mass in it to hold the cold. (More beer.) Maybe you have all been getting by, but it only takes one gas leak to ruin your day.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #9

WELL, I suppose I might possibly get struck by lightning - or perhaps a wandering asteroid, but as to odds of that happening - or me winning the lottery - are pretty slim...

About the same as some dire accident caused by my running the propane fridge as we tootle happily down the road!

Sure, there are times and things to worry about - WAYYYyyy too many of them - but as far as we're concerned, using the propane in the fridge while underway, simply is not one of them...

Besides, we prefer consuming our ice cream with a spoon, rather than a straw!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
87,000 miles with it ON
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had 5 motorhomes 3 popups and 2 travel trailers. I have traveled about two hundred thousand miles with the ref. on gas. No problem. I am sure Traffic is more dangerous than Propane. I was a ser. mgr. with a motorhome co. for 15 years and never had a customer with a probem. I always told my customers to travel on propane.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob, I do not know a single person, full-time or otherwise that shuts off the propane for travel. You must run with a different crowd.

Keep it cold.

Ken
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #13

Going back to when gas was 40 cents a gallon as a kid, we always travelled with it on.

If I were going to be scared of something, it's waking up in the middle of the night to a propane fire! At least (in theory) driving down the road I am awake, alert, and right up front near the door (yeah, I know, emergency exits, blah blah but the idea jumping out with my lousy knees isn't very appealing).

Steve
Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Are you kidding me?
I wasn't kidding you. People die in airplane crashes but we still fly. Propane is safe.... use your fridge and enjoy your trip.