Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
The transmission would be a T400 or possibly T425. Only way it would be a T350 is if somebody had replaced it with a T350, not very likely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
looking at the pictures I see a bad countertop rework and the flooring looks not so good either. Countertop would not be that costly to replace but, I wonder about the quality of the other repairs after seeing those
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I would save up a little more and get something better. That looks like a lot of overhang behind those rear wheels. After having a P30 chassis I would never own another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
This really means, " The generator hasn't worked properly in years."

......just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftimer View Post
The bread truck chassis would be more of concern for me and I am a Chevy man but don't like the p chassis if you get this one I don't care what your next one is it will drive better
I have to agree with all of these. Also, all A/C's blow cold and furnaces make you sweat in type, along with all the other great repairs and top notch things that have been done. And the price is too high as well for that year of coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should also expect about 5 to 6 miles per gallon from that MH.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinWasHere View Post
Hi all! Would you mind looking at this ad and telling me what you can about the motor, transmission, chassis, etc. I am a first time buyer with no experience RVing and very little mechanical knowledge. Not much that I am not willing to try though! I once changed the water pump in my Olds Delta 88 because I got mad at my now ex husband for dragging his feet on it! Anyway, thanks for any input!

We are selling our 1988 Coachmen Sportscoach Pathfinder. 31 ft long long class A motorhome. Approx 69,000 original miles. Rock solid 454 big block V8 motor with 350 turbo transmission runs great and was just completely serviced and inspected. AC blows freezing cold air, propane furnace will make you sweat! Water heater and water pump work perfectly. Generator needs tune-up, but we haven't gotten to it yet. 30 amp service. Roof and windows recently resealed. New pressure increasing shower head installed. New bathroom vent and fan. New door entry latch/lock installed. Propane tank has T-piece for additional tank or appliance hookup. New residential size queen mattress. 32 inch flat screen TV. CB radio works. New CD player/radio with AUX cord hookup. Tons of basement storage. Outside pull out table. Electric entry steps. Tires are approx 2 years old. No spare tire.
Inside was recently completely redone and redecorated (1980's mauve is loooong gone!). New vinyl wood plank flooring. New leather nail head futon, captain seat covers, subway tile in kitchen, all cabinets freshly painted. Split bathroom has separate toilet/shower room with vanity outside. $7500
Lots of good advice here, but truly one man's meat is another man's poison. The only one who can answer if this unit is worth your dollars to pay for it is you. Remember, you are buying a truck, that drives from place to place. You are also buying a small cabin, that keeps you comfortable like any small house does, with heat and cooling, plumbing and appliances. If you consider these things, you realize that this RV has two large categories that need to be considered.

Is it mechanically sound? Will it go from point a to point b safely? Will it leave you stuck somewhere? This is the same as any other vehicle you may buy. You need to consider this.

Also, it is a part time home. Is this a place you will be comfortable living for whatever time you plan to live here. I have camped in tents with my family, so this is a very personal decision. My sister considers staying at the Ramada as camping. Her living requirements, even for the weekend, is different than mine, or yours.

Consider these things, but also consider that if you buy this thing, it is the start of a project, not the end. Unlike some purchases, buying an RV does not mean you no longer invest in that RV. Just like your home, or your car, to one end or another, there is always another project or repair to make once you own this item.

Many here have pointed out possible reasons why you may buy this thing, and then need to spend money. That is true, and should be something you are very wary of, but any RV you buy will be the same, to one degree or another. The key to being happy with this purchase is to have a reasonable presumption of what to expect.

If I were you, I would surely have a qualified person, whom you trust, who's pay does not depend on you buying or not buying this RV make an assessment. Do not trust this used RV salesman any more than any other used car salesman.

At the same time, realize that at this cost, you cannot and should not expect perfection. I am a 56 year old guy who is very handy, so a certain amount of work on an RV is fine for me, and my willingness to do this work allows me to buy an item I would never expect my wife to buy, because she will not and cannot do what I do. (Other than she knows she can get me to do it for her, )

Consider this RV, but compare it to others you may see, and also consider what work you are willing to do, or are able to convince others to do for you.

Good luck. Enjoy the adventure of both the potential of owning this, or finding another. Either way, follow your heart, and have fun.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
This really means, " The generator hasn't worked properly in years."

......just saying.
not always true, I was told something similar, plugs wires, air filter and a carb cleanout it works great
Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Also, as everyone has pointed out, the 350 turbo transmission did not come out in this MH! So someone put it in because they were trying to save money! As long as you do not want to tow anything, it might be fine, but it brings up the question, what else did they not do up to spec's?
I noticed the shower did not have a skylight above it? If you are 5'6" or less, not a problem, but if taller, big problem! . You have gotten some very good advice, but I would have someone look it over that has owned MH's, and get their two cents! JMHO! Rail!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #20

I wonder if this is a typo, the flexplate and torque convertor would have to be changed to make this work and I doubt a motorhome manufacturer made it that way as some one said already
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Also, as everyone has pointed out, the 350 turbo transmission did not come out in this MH! So someone put it in because they were trying to save money! As long as you do not want to tow anything, it might be fine, but it brings up the question, what else did they not do up to spec's?
I noticed the shower did not have a skylight above it? If you are 5'6" or less, not a problem, but if taller, big problem! . You have gotten some very good advice, but I would have someone look it over that has owned MH's, and get their two cents! JMHO! Rail!
There is a link with pictures of the RV, I think. Those pics show a skylight in the shower. Are you saying that a skylight is good or not good?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
There is a link with pictures of the RV, I think. Those pics show a skylight in the shower. Are you saying that a skylight is good or not good?
Karl, that is a vent, not a skylight, so would not give you much headroom, if you are 6'3" like me! I need the skylight for the added headroom!
So, if you are short, a skylight is not needed other than for light!
I, myself, like the extra headroom they provide and the light they let into the bathroom! One of the first things I do when looking at a MH to buy is go to the bathroom and see if I fit in the shower, and sit on the toilet, to make sure I have enough leg room!

Rail!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #23

My .02$. I am happy that my RV has fuel injection and air bags on all corners. I paid about the same with 20kmiles, buckets of maintenance records.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
There has been a LOT of cosmetic work for a reason. The Dogs are beautiful but a real hard act to follow in a RV.
I'd keep looking at this point. In that price range you have to be careful especially since you don't have a lot of mechanical skills. It would really be helpful if you could find a friend with some hands on experience with either vehicles or home improvement or both to help you look. Both skills are required when buying an older RV.
Dick
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Karl, that is a vent, not a skylight, so would not give you much headroom, if you are 6'3" like me! I need the skylight for the added headroom!
So, if you are short, a skylight is not needed other than for light!
I, myself, like the extra headroom they provide and the light they let into the bathroom! One of the first things I do when looking at a MH to buy is go to the bathroom and see if I fit in the shower, and sit on the toilet, to make sure I have enough leg room!

Rail!
Wow, I had not realized I had such an advantage at being only 5'8". It's about time I got something, (anything) over you tall guys.

I stand corrected, I did not draw a distinction between a skylight and a vent.

In my understanding of MH, I have a square hole in the roof, covered by a white frosted plastic cover (or a metal one) that will tilt open with the turn of a crank and a gearing system. In my Fleetwood, I believe they are metal covers, with a larger white smoke cover over that, which allows me to keep them open in the rain. I did call these openings vents, but would interchange the term skylights.

In my bathroom, in my '88 MH, I have a vent of this sort in the bathroom, but not in my shower. My bath vent in this case, has a light that rings the opening, and a fan in it. All my vents have screens in them, which make it hard, if not impossible to reach thru them. The screens would have to be removed (as well as fans) in order to actually reach thru these vents...

I am not sure of what a skylight is, in a motorhome. In a car, there are skylights, sun roofs, moon roofs, and the like. My understanding a sun roof in a car is a retractable metal roof. A moon roof is a retractable glass roof.

Since I am being told a skylight in a motorhome shower will increase the head room, I must presume it is some sort of hole in the roof, thru which tall people stick their heads.

My daughter loves to stand in the car, and stand up thru the panaramic glass sunroof in my car.

While the image of a tall man's wet head sticking out the top of a motorhome while he showers, or better yet, while he is showering and his wife is driving down the street, is giving me a chuckle, I suspect I have it wrong.

So, please, someone, educate me as what I am getting wrong...
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #26

i paid $5000 for my 1995 winnebago brave and its in much better shape than that.You can find them ,just keep looking. i seen a bunch when i was looking. Some times repairing things half ass is worse than just leaving them. until you've replaced everything on that rv, things can and will go wrong. even with 10000 miles the hose and anything else rubber will have disintegrated some and there is alot of that stuff on these. I love fixing things on mine but im also capable if i get stuck some where .
demon1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #27

why is this thread still going on when the OP isn't even chiming in? You'd think they would or maybe got scared away
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #28

Thank you all for the great advice. I too was wondering about those big dogs in the pics! I have a couple myself but both of them together are half the size of one of those!
I am pretty handy on the "house" part but not so much on the mechanical. I do realize that any older RV is going to need a certain amount of work. That transmission has me worried though, unless it is a typo.
Another worry, the seller seems pretty eager. I emailed him the same day I posted this. He emailed me right back but I had something come up and couldn't get back to him for a couple of days. He emailed me several times and came off a little anxious.
I probably will go look at it, and appreciate your advice on what to look and lookout for! If nothing else it will be a good learning experience.
Oh, btw, I am only 5'4" so no headroom issues here! Also, planning on becoming a full time RV'er so whatever I buy will be "home" for me and my 2 (SMALL) dog's!
Thanks again!
Erin
ErinWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote