Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Its A Mystery?? Name that???

Back to the drawing board. Can you help me identify these items and tell me what they suppose to do or operate in my 1982 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33ft Chevrolet 454 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1775.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	12147   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1776.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	12148  

Name:	GEDC1777.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	12149   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1778.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	12150  

Name:	GEDC1782.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	12151   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1783.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	12152  

Name:	GEDC1784.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	12153   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1785.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	12154  

Name:	GEDC1787.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	619.1 KB
ID:	12155   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1788.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	12156  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First picture with the black box and electronic components sticking out appears to be the ignitor for the hot water heater.

The switch that says front and back might be to run 1 AC at a time if you have 30 amp service.

Where you have the charger is the 12 volt distribution panel.

Where the batteries are, the red button thing looks like a circuit breaker.

There is a PEX Plastic fitting with a small black hose teed off. That could be to an ice maker or someone might have added a toilet sprayer.

The very last black box might be some sort of device to allow two banks of batteries to be charged at the same time.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with YC1 and with a couple additions. The teed off small line could also be a filtered drinking water tap.
The switches do control either front or rear A/C when on Shore Power. With Gen. on and the wrong on/off config. you may only get one A/C with gen.
The 12vdc supply panel looks to be fed by an auto reset circuit breaker to the right.
The thing in the battery area might be a solenoid as it looks like they grounded the base
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
first picture: Ignitor

The hot water heater does not light, I have tried everything, the picture with the copper tube is that the propane gas for the water heater? can I take it loose to see if gas is going to heater at this line? The ignitor clicks outside but no light, I have removed cover outside and cleaned but when I turn on switch for water heater it doesnt lit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
First picture with the black box and electronic components sticking out appears to be the ignitor for the hot water heater.

The switch that says front and back might be to run 1 AC at a time if you have 30 amp service.

There is a PEX Plastic fitting with a small black hose teed off. That could be to an ice maker or someone might have added a toilet sprayer.

The very last black box might be some sort of device to allow two banks of batteries to be charged at the same time.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
small black hose

The small blck hose was the water filter that leaked so I took it loose, just learned that sharkbites may help with connections to these type lines.
Quote:

Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Hot water heater; Red Button

see the red button with wires going to it? is this a reset button? should it have resistance when I push it? it make no click can it be bad? causing me problems, I put a tester on the red wires and they are hot,what does the reset button reset?
Quote:

Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspowers View Post
see the red button with wires going to it? is this a reset button? should it have resistance when I push it? it make no click can it be bad? causing me problems, I put a tester on the red wires and they are hot,what does the reset button reset?
The red reset, does it have power on both sides? i am going to go out on a limb here and say it is a over heat temp. sensor. The actual temp cutout is below that, and does that have power on both sides of it?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Need a picture of where those red wires go. The red button must be a reset and finding voltage on both sides indicates it it ok.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In order:
Water heater mother board and DSI high voltage generator
T-Fitting feeding, most likely the ice maker based on the size of the black hose
Water heater bypass valve, part of a 2 valve system
The other valve in the 2 valve bypass. a 3rd valve is a check valve on the wter heater outlet.
Someone else identifed the FRONT/REAR air conditioner switch
12 volt fuse panel with battery charger attached
Same as last with test lamp pointing to the NEGATIVE lead and clip on a self resetting thermal circuit breaker.

On the last two I can not tell epicially the last one.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Regarding the reset swtch, if you have power on both sides of it, it doesn't need to be reset.

If you have power to both sides of the switch below it, the heater igniter should be sparking for a few seconds when you turn it on. If it is not sparking, that board is bad.

If it's sparking and you have no flame, the burner tube is likely blocked, or you have no propane.

Regarding the propane, does your stove work?

Edit: Forgot, regarding that switch marked front/rear, if you have a 5000 watt or larger gen. the center or front position may have to be used to run both A/C's at the same time on generator power.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #11

If your igniter is sparking and no gas, may be mother board, not opening valve.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
What I think we discovered is that the water heater is electric and gas, when the switch is turned on the ignitor sparks but no gas seems to be getting thru, so I leave the heater on and the water feels hot, but I live in the desert so every thing feels hot, we will try this in the fall.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

I had an issue with my water heater a couple of years ago. It sounded like the gas solenoid was opening but no gas. There are 2 solenoid valves on the gas valve both had 12 volts going to them but only one was opening. I took a resistance check on both of the coils and the outboard side was open. I was able to find a broken section of wire on the coil and re-soldered it. That fixed the problem for a year or two. It happened again,so I did the same thing again but this time I figured out the gauge size of the wire and ordered a spool of it. So one more time it happened again but this time I rewound the coil with new wire and it has been as good as gold now for 3 years.