Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryK View Post
I am considering digging a deep hole and putting a 55 gallon drum in it with holes and rocks in the bottom to drain into. Thanks for your help.
You don't need to buy a drum, just dig the hole as deep as you can and put rocks, then gravel, then 6 inches of soil on top. Putting a perforated PVC pipe down the middle helps, but is not essential. It's called a "dry well" if you want to research options.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Valve Locations

Since you didn't put put any infomation in your signature about what type and model Ethyl is this may not apply.

Some RV's have more than one grey tank and I've seen people (myself included) forget to drain the second tank.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #17

Chief,
I did indeed figure out why the gray tank filled so quickly, it appears that rain water had somehow gotten in thru the plug in top of the RV that my son-in-law left open *grumble*. Hooked up the drain hose, dug a hole and no the tub is emplty, no smell and I have my gray tank safely draining into a *french* drain ( the 55 gal drum buried with holes punched into the bottom and sides.)
How well over $100 for the blue boys? And what kind of septic company? I put some RV digest-it in the black tank to help but I have no idea how much or often it was used before I bought Ethyl. Also, the gray water tank was used before I got her. She and I are learning each other =)
I plan to eventually get the LP gas hot water heater hooked up/filled so I will be totally self-contained. Haven't figured out how a lot of the stuff in here works yet but I'm getting there. Thanks for all your help.
Merry and Ethyl and Tigrah, the cat.
MerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #18

I think I added a signature. Ethyl is a 1986 Holiday Rambler Class A Imperial and that's about all I can tell you about her. I don't think she has a secondary gray tank according to the owner's manual but I could be wrong.
MerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #19

I need a little more information about Ethel. Does she have the bathroom in the back or in the middle? Twin beds or queen? Dinette or wardrobe?
I have a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial. It has the middle bathroom which required the grey tank to be separated from the black tank. There are separate dump valves on either side of the rear tires. Makes dumping a little awkward and extra work.
If you have a rear bathroom, it is an entirely different arrangement.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryK View Post
Chief,
I did indeed figure out why the gray tank filled so quickly, it appears that rain water had somehow gotten in thru the plug in top of the RV that my son-in-law left open *grumble*.
WHAT plug???

Never heard of a "plug" in the top of an RV.

If you are talking about the gray water VENT pipe, this must NOT be plugged, or you will force truly noxious vapors into your rig.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless Ethel has a concave roof, I can't imagine enough rain getting in a vent to fill a tank. As I said in my earlier post, I believe you might have a tank flush fitting with an open valve that filled the tank when you filled the fresh water tank.

I found the PO had rigged up such a plumbing situation in my rig. He had put a Y hose fitting on the hose bib from the FW tank, back flow preventers, then hoses to flush fittings on each waste tank. I disconnected the hoses and capped them, I just didn't like a physical connection between FW and waste, even with a back flow preventer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yup, your gray tank is full and backs up through lowest the P trap first. usually shower or tub. Dont depend on your tank gauges to be accurate.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote