Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
I've decided my 1997 is vintage

Why?

Because just about everything is broken or in need of some sort of repair, replacement or updating.

She turns 19 next month. Essentially one year away from I guess really being "vintage" but you guy in this forum are going to be stuck with me anyway. This is where I will post up my progress and update photos.

Sorry.
__________________

__________________
~Wade
thesugarchateau.com
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 325
Welcome!




Soo...you're rested up from your trip home.
What's first?


Everything OK mechanically?

Is it mostly cosmetic?
Any leaks?
__________________

__________________
1992 Four Winds 29'
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
No leaks. Here's the list so far. Not necessarily in any order. Most of the stuff is very piddly, niggly little things that no one wanted to have to pay someone to fix.

Alternator not charging (making progress on this one)
Tachometer not working (linked to alternator problem)
Holding tanks leaking from knife valves
A couple of cargo doors don't open
Generator slide hydraulics leaking
Driver's window frosted like Christmas
Headlights yellow and dingy
Air step cover not functioning
12 volt accessory charging ports not functioning
Two 20" TVs are garbage and make a lot of noise
Wheels in need of serious polishing
Two Fantastic fans no functioning
Front door latch doesn't work (striker/door catch missing)
Steering wheel off center (has a pull to the right too)
A couple of drawers don't latch (latches are broken)
Toilet room door won't lock in open position

If I come up with any more, I'll come back and amend this list. For now, below is the progress report...

First things first...


To


Then...


To










Still trying to source the latch for the door. Fantastic Fans have had parts ordered and should be here next week. Lots of stuff has been removed, cleaned and/or repainted, mostly on the inside thus far.

Still a long way to go, but it's been enjoyable fun so far.
__________________
~Wade
thesugarchateau.com
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 305
If that list of problems makes it vintage there are lot of 2015 motor homes that are vintage too.
__________________
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Daveinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
No leaks. Here's the list so far. Not necessarily in any order. Most of the stuff is very piddly, niggly little things that no one wanted to have to pay someone to fix.

Alternator not charging (making progress on this one)
Tachometer not working (linked to alternator problem)
Holding tanks leaking from knife valves
A couple of cargo doors don't open
Generator slide hydraulics leaking
Driver's window frosted like Christmas
Headlights yellow and dingy
Air step cover not functioning
12 volt accessory charging ports not functioning
Two 20" TVs are garbage and make a lot of noise
Wheels in need of serious polishing
Two Fantastic fans no functioning
Front door latch doesn't work (striker/door catch missing)
Steering wheel off center (has a pull to the right too)
A couple of drawers don't latch (latches are broken)
Toilet room door won't lock in open position

If I come up with any more, I'll come back and amend this list. For now, below is the progress report...
Hey come on, that just looks like a typical punch list from brand new off the lot.

My definition has been when parts is when parts are no longer available.
__________________
2004 AllegroBay 34XB I think, I just got it from my parents.
Sold:'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD 502 w/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Member
 
2bassbuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Norfork Lake, AR
Posts: 77
Cool

I think you may be right castrol. My 1997 Bounder we just bought has had to have a new CB-115 circuit board and isolator solenoid in the battery control center, coolant overflow reservoir, water heater ECO & Thermostat, and now starter solenoid for the Onan. I feel like I bought stock high and the bottom fell out of it.
__________________
Steve & Patty Willard
Grandson Keegan & his wonder dog "Buddy"
1997 Fleetwood Bounder/2013 Ford Explorer XLT AWD
2bassbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
If that list of problems makes it vintage there are lot of 2015 motor homes that are vintage too.
Hahahaha. That made me laugh out loud in Bealls while my wife shops. Now people are looking at me.
__________________
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Hey come on, that just looks like a typical punch list from brand new off the lot.

My definition has been when parts is when parts are no longer available.
Well I'm not having a tremendous amount of luck finding parts. I thought most of it would be a cakewalk but I turned out to be wrong on that front.
__________________
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
Member
 
poriggity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 85
Looking good so far.. I am sure you've already looked, but I've had great luck on Amazon for a lot of RV related things I've been doing in my build.
__________________
Scott
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, Long Bed, 4x4, NV5600
1988 Lance LC980 - A work in progress - Dubbed "Problem Child"
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
Looking good so far.. I am sure you've already looked, but I've had great luck on Amazon for a lot of RV related things I've been doing in my build.
Yeah, I keep hitting Amazon looking for items. I've got a few pieces in and now that we are back from our 10 day business trip, I can start working on it again!

__________________
~Wade
thesugarchateau.com
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jmm2020's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Concord, New Hampshire, United States
Posts: 140
So far everything looks like it's coming along great...wheels and lenses shined up really nice! I did air dryer cartridge this weekend and you might want to add that to the general maintenance list as well...I had the old style and updated the whole housing as I had one from the big rigs new in the box.
Keep up the great work and best of luck with it all!
__________________
1992 Beaver Contessa Signet 38'
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI
100% Biodiesel
jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
More added to the list.

Got a weight on it.


New tail lights.




Couple of new tires. Firestone FS561.



Fixed the entry door to actually work like an entry door.



Both Fantastic fans repaired.
__________________
~Wade
thesugarchateau.com
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Daveinet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 364
LEDs taillights are always a good choice. The instant on factor draws much more attention, as the turn on is more abrupt. Also knocks off another 1/2 second off their reaction time, although its not like you are going to out brake a car that would be following you.
__________________
2004 AllegroBay 34XB I think, I just got it from my parents.
Sold:'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD 502 w/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
castrol's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
LEDs taillights are always a good choice. The instant on factor draws much more attention, as the turn on is more abrupt. Also knocks off another 1/2 second off their reaction time, although its not like you are going to out brake a car that would be following you.
Yeah, the lenses were all cracked and leaking water. I had to remove all the bulbs and clean the contacts as I only had two working at a time. They would do this weird blinking when the brakes or blinkers were used. It was definitely time to replace. But why go with just new lenses...upgrade to LED!
__________________

__________________
~Wade
thesugarchateau.com
1997 40' Monaco Signature Series Cummins 325HP & MD3060
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vintage



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Coach: 1997 American Dream remodel stkt Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 263 08-17-2016 04:19 PM
Vintage vs Newer RV MO Fred Vintage RV's 128 02-08-2016 08:02 AM
1997 Country Coach Allure 40' - Newbie Purchase customfab Country Coach Owners Forum 16 08-10-2014 11:54 AM
1997 Vintage Intec CVM 600 back up camera system - replacement? ScottRussell Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 04-27-2014 11:43 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.