Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschaub View Post
Kind of interested in seeing the inside.

Not a project I would take on. Water damage and old trailers go together like peanut butter and jelly. Hopefully it hasn't turned into a mouse hotel along with all that.

If by some miracle it is in fairly decent shape inside and you have real plans for it and the time and money to spend on it why not? I wouldn't jump into it too quick though. I made that mistake with my current MH/money pit and although I have it livable now I'm kicking myself over what I could have had if I hadn't have given in to pressure to help out a friend of a friend. All I'm saying is make really sure you won't regret buying this thing down the road before you pull the trigger.
I have regretted buying my MH a thousand times but, keep making it nicer and have good times in it with my wife and grandchildren. Maybe this summer we will venture out of our state with it. An alignment is all that I feel like I'm lacking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Thanks for the comments. Some good advice and strong points brought up.
Condition is everything. The trailer is 180 miles from me and I plan on returning soon for a visit with my friend. I didn't think much of it when I first looked at it, just gave it a casual once over, peeked inside and snapped the pictures I posted here. I'll look at it a little harder and see what his thoughts of selling are.
rockerarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
first off, how does anyone here know for sure the thing is rotted out? You don't, just guessing. If you have the money and have a place to store it, it's your decision, not anyone here. Looks really neat and would be a fun remodel. Hey maybe sell it to the RV Flip people on TV
Right top picture shows the back right seam is opened up. Bottom picture shows the one window is open. Maybe you could get owner to send you more photos
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I saw this program on DirecTV, and then went to their website.
Flyte Camp Vintage Trailer Restorations They are in that business of restoring classic RVs.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
And if you watch them buy them, it's usually under $2000 so they can make something of a profit after 500 hours of work!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And if you watch them buy them, it's usually under $2000 so they can make something of a profit after 500 hours of work!
And their getting paid for doing the show. Boy are we a bunch of Buzz Kills
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side note for what it's worth - the trailer in the "Long Long Trailer" movie was a 1953 Redman "New Moon" 36' model. Sold for $5,345 at the time (about $47,274 today per Wiki.) And for what it's worth, they had to swap cars for the mountain highway scene - the original 1953 Mercury Monterey (125hp) used in most of the shots couldn't handle the hill, so they swapped for a 1953 Lincoln Capri (205hp) for those scenes.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Side note for what it's worth - the trailer in the "Long Long Trailer" movie was a 1953 Redman "New Moon" 36' model. Sold for $5,345 at the time (about $47,274 today per Wiki.) And for what it's worth, they had to swap cars for the mountain highway scene - the original 1953 Mercury Monterey (125hp) used in most of the shots couldn't handle the hill, so they swapped for a 1953 Lincoln Capri (205hp) for those scenes.
Thanks for the info, you are the Lucy info expert.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I new it, I remember saying that's a different car.
Great info.
I was zooming in on your Pic's , love all the window's and I am betting that the 2 window's on the side shot rear are bunk bed's.? Hated seeing the AC unit on the rear shot, that might be the culprit for the edging and swelling. I can't see on zooming in on Pics siding any other swelling.
I for one would like too see the inside. I bet its all original. No roof Pic's hoping it's in fairly good shape.
Have you made any decisions on doing it?

I think I am excided just seeing something that old and the possibilities.

I bet my 64 Caddie convert would pull it just fine, with its 429.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #24

With unlived in RV’s everyone worries about vermin problems. I lived in two different TT’s while going to college in the late 1960’s. The first was a Spartan, a nice place to live but a mouse paradise. When I first moved in I’d get home in the evening from classes and find mouse turds everywhere, in the cabinet drawers among my clothes, in my bed, all over the kitchen counter. I hate to think of the mouse fiesta going on while I was gone ARRRIBA!!! In the evening I’d hear them rummaging through my kitchen trash bin. Before the first few days were over I’d had enough, a half dozen traps baited with peanut butter and the vermin problem was soon history. The second TT was an 8’X25’ no name POS. I rented it as is for $25/month complete with a rain puddle in the kitchen floor area and busted water pipes everywhere. A journey to the roof with a bucket of tar and several shots fired through the kitchen floor with my .22 rifle followed by some cheap sheet linoleum flooring and the rain puddle was history. I repaired the copper plumbing pipes by squeezing the cracks shut and laying a bead of solder over them. Oddly enough the dump never had a vermin problem. I suppose it was in such bad shape even the mice didn’t want to live there, it was just fine for a financially struggling college student though .

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
With unlived in RV’s everyone worries about vermin problems. I lived in two different TT’s while going to college in the late 1960’s. The first was a Spartan, a nice place to live but a mouse paradise. When I first moved in I’d get home in the evening from classes and find mouse turds everywhere, in the cabinet drawers among my clothes, in my bed, all over the kitchen counter. I hate to think of the mouse fiesta going on while I was gone ARRRIBA!!! In the evening I’d hear them rummaging through my kitchen trash bin. Before the first few days were over I’d had enough, a half dozen traps baited with peanut butter and the vermin problem was soon history. The second TT was an 8’X25’ no name POS. I rented it as is for $25/month complete with a rain puddle in the kitchen floor area and busted water pipes everywhere. A journey to the roof with a bucket of tar and several shots fired through the kitchen floor with my .22 rifle followed by some cheap sheet linoleum flooring and the rain puddle was history. I repaired the copper plumbing pipes by squeezing the cracks shut and laying a bead of solder over them. Oddly enough the dump never had a vermin problem. I suppose it was in such bad shape even the mice didn’t want to live there, it was just fine for a financially struggling college student though .

Steve
That's a great story. And one that I'm living pretty much except it's more like the first Trailer except the mice are gone but I had a hell of a time doing cleanup from when they were and there's always something new to patch up. Not very glamorous but when you need to live on a dime and have no other options it's a lot better than nothing.
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I just spent 3 years bringing back to life a 1994 Country air. I only paid $2000 for it and put in $1500 in the restore. Anyone would be proud to own it..
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote